Where to get vinyl?

VanDy

Records that is, get your mind out of the gutter!!

Looking for 1930's to 1940's big band/swing ie.. Benny Goodman, Glen Miller, Andrews Sisters ect..

Also some classic rock.

The only places I know of other than eBay/cl is Goodwill, I hit them up once a week, Lots of nothing with the occasionall find,

Anybody have any suggestions?

Edit: looking for 33 1/3's mainly, 45's will work too :)

-VanDy

There was one in Yellow Springs. Couldn't tell you the name of it or if it is still there. But they had piles of them.

The last stop for goodwill/ salvation army before stuff goes to the dump is on stanely in Dayton might be a good place to check too. They sell by the pound there.

Edited by Anden

There was one in Yellow Springs. Couldn't tell you the name of it or if it is still there. But they had piles of them.

The last stop for goodwill/ salvation army before stuff goes to the dump is on stanely in Dayton might be a good place to check too. They sell by the pound there.

I should have thought of checking yellow springs!

I haven't been in a Half Price Books in a long time, but as of a couple of years ago you could find records in some of them.

Will look them up!

Grapesmuggler, thanks I will look into those also!

-VanDy

Just wondering...if you like swing,are you going to see Big Bad Voodoo Daddy in July?They're going to be in Lancaster July 21 and,I believe,Springfield on July 20.I 've got tickets for Lancaster.

Also,Ace In The Hole in the Kenny Center on Kenny road might be able to help you with the classic rock stuff.I buy almost all my music there.

Edited by drc32-0

One of my friends gf owns a record shop in Portland Oregon. If there's anything specific you're looking for hit me up. I'm sure they have it or can get it for you, plus I can get a deal. ;)

Dingleberrys in yellowsprings closed, they had stacks. Now it the toxic place, upstairs and its a hit or miss if they're open. The few times I've been there they're been closed or out to lunch

There is a record store on High St. just after Kelso if you're going North on High. I don't remember the name of it. I just remember it's in a white building.

The only two other places I remember off the top of my head are closed, Sour Records and Singin Dogs.

I've got an old console record player from the 60's in the basement. The underneath storage area is loaded with albums. I looked through it a few years ago, and the mix of albums is interesting to say the least.:D

14199035_FM5ET-M.jpg

14199034_Lp8EZ-M.jpg

You do know you can get re-mastered CDs of the same stuff or better? The good ones are remixed to be stereo. They could only do that if there was a photo or a record showing the location of the instruments on the stage. I bought a few for my Dad, I ordered through amazon. I also picked up several WWII big band collections at the same time.

It might not be the nostalgia of the type you're thinking of, but it's closer to the live experience of being there.

edit: Also go check out Squirrel Nut Zippers. Neo Big Band.

edit: I don't have much, but I have a turntable. I do have a pristine copy of the Victory at Sea double album.

edit: search yard sales on weekends. The amounts of vinyl have tapered off, but you do occasionally find a batch. Make an offer to buy it all. Cheaper that way. Besides, the first dealer that gets there will buy it all.

Edited by ReconRat

I just looked. There were a dozen yard sales or flea markets in Columbus, advertising records or albums this last weekend. One was an estate sale. Do those first.

I also searched Troy, and found nothing. That's a clue.

edit: I used this: it was quicker than trying to drill down in the newspaper:

http://www.yardsalesearch.com/

Also go check out Squirrel Nut Zippers. Neo Big Band.

+1 On Squirrel Nut Zippers...I saw them at a Rhythm and Ribs show(or something like that) in Columbus several years ago...very good!!!

A good place to start is with their cd "Hot".

Around about books (In the Troy Square) is in the process of opening a '70's style record store in their basement, maybe just shy of 1k records but they are growing and have lots of classic VHS tapes for $1 each.

-VanDy