Litre or 750 Tracker???

donkason

I'm on the hunt for a track bike and I have 2 good deals to look at, a GIXXER 750 and a R1. I've been riding a K9 Busa at the track and I want to get serious as well as not trash a very nice street bike. So I'm used to a lot of power and a heavy bike. I'm not the guy who can't corner and guns it down the back straight either.

That being said I'm wondering what to do.

I'd love to hear some opinions from those who track the 1000's and the 600's 750's and why they chose their rides.

I'm leaning towards the 750 since I can still flick it and have some HP, but I'm in love with the kind of torque my Busa puts down and I don't want to lose it. I'm also 6'2" and 230lbs.

Lets hear it!

If you ride a Busa and no matter how good, but neither of the other two at the track, it really isn't comparable. The Busa is slow to handle and transition. It is just not the right bike for performance riding at the track.

I assume you are a novice rider or other group? The reason I ask is because the 1000 is going to be a bike that can easily get you in trouble if not familiar. So can the 750 of course, but the 1000 is a bike that ridden hard is really a tough thing to do. In fact, several 600 lap times are faster at certain tracks than that of the 1000s. Look at the lap times at Barber and see that a Dayton Sportbike 600 was only a few seconds a lap slower than a Superbike lap time... That's insane.

So, in my opinion and one that has extensive seat time on all three bikes, get the 750. It is about 20 more HP than a 600 stock to stock and can be built to get a lot more which is what I would suggest once you get adapted to it and running solid fast times.

When you say heavy bikes and used to it, understand that your bike is MUCH heavier, but also carries a heavier mass in a lower position which causes ill handling. These bikes are lighter and much more balanced and spin up their engines MUCH quicker.

Point is that the 750 would be a better bike for starting out on and with you being 230, both chassis are about the same. The R1 gives the illusion it is larger, but it's reach and seating area is not far behind the others.

And understand that liter bikes are getting smaller and smaller all the time...

Failboat Brian.

This was your chance to sell him an Austrian vtwin.

Seriously, I know the 750s and 1ks are cheap and plentiful, but if you are REALLY REALLY sure that you're gonna miss the 'busa torque, you should be hunting for SV1ks, Ducatis, or KTMs (see: baller status for the latter two suggestions) -- you're gonna have much more fun on a lightweight twin than a lightweight i4-bike. That is, if fun is your goal and not laptimes.

I say 750 and not just because I have one for sale but it is the best of all worlds. I've smoked countless 1k's at the track and there are my vids to proove it. Brian used to ride a 750 and he is one of the best, most knowledgable and fastest track guys on the board so I would listen to him. I've seen him repeatedly beat the piss out of 1k's at the track. We actually had the exact same bike at one point except his had an ss built motor. Brian helped me set everything up on my 750 modeled after his so he will confirm. We actually used to make bets during the track riders meeting about all the guys on 1k's that would be wrecked or have their feelings hurt by mid day from getting smoked by the smaller bikes. There are not many riders that can truely handle a 1k at the track and even more that will crash or get hurt because they think they can.

I miss being on the track and screwing around with Brian. I learned allot from him and following him around only mAde me better. Of course we damn near crashed each other on a few occasions having fun :) got vids of that too. Brian offered to let me take his built 1k out one session. After he passed me on the straight and I saw that thing lay a black tire mark from the keyhole to the kink at mid oh I wanted nothing to do with it. Next session that damn bike had snapped 2 of the sprocket carrier bolts. That was a fast, powerful scary bike.

Edited by flounder

1000's are point and shoot. You do not need a 1000. a 600 or 750 will still hall the mail with you on it and youll learn about carrying corner speed. The only time a 1000 is good on the track is on the drive out of a corner until youre under braking. My little 130hp zx6r will destroy most 1000 track day riders.

While you are making logical choices trying to learn and not destroy a bike my vote for starting out on the track would be the 600. I am certain that you will beat any time on the track with a 600 that you are currently running with the Busa. You will learn more about riding and can always move up if you find the 600 wanting.

your zx6r makes a 130hp?

so jelly... well, not really. i just jumped ship to an 08 zx6r and i already feel like it's way stronger than my 03 600rr.

yep. its an Attack supersport build. I have an fx motor that makes close to 140hp but it needs a rebuild. You'll love the 08

Another thing to look at being a taller rider is seating position or how "big the bike feels". Being comfortable will make you ride better! Looking at the 600 pack I feel the CBR600 (I am one one) has the shortest reach and smallest feeling (comparing Japan 4s only) which is why I picked it since I am only 5'8. Next in line would be IMO the GSXR600 (which I thought felt pretty close to the 750), then ZX6r and lastly R6. The R6 always felt bigger to me for some reason, I think the seat is wider and the reach is longer.

Also, depending on your budget and seeing you are really getting into the track day stuff you may want to look at each bike package to see who has the "best suspension", stablizer, ect....

Another thing to look at being a taller rider is seating position or how "big the bike feels". Being comfortable will make you ride better! Looking at the 600 pack I feel the CBR600 (I am one one) has the shortest reach and smallest feeling (comparing Japan 4s only) which is why I picked it since I am only 5'8. Next in line would be IMO the GSXR600 (which I thought felt pretty close to the 750), then ZX6r and lastly R6. The R6 always felt bigger to me for some reason, I think the seat is wider and the reach is longer.

Also, depending on your budget and seeing you are really getting into the track day stuff you may want to look at each bike package to see who has the "best suspension", stablizer, ect....

You are correct, R1 that I sat on felt very comfortable. It felt better than my Busa. It had a long reach and I felt stretched out in a good way The gsxr is about stock and three R1 is loaded for $2500. Gixxer maybe scooped up for over $3000.

You are correct, R1 that I sat on felt very comfortable. It felt better thsn my Busa. It had a long reach and I felt stretched out in a good way The gsxr is about stock and three R1 is loaded for $2500. Gixxer maybe scooped up for over $3000.

Just remember that clipons change the stock feel so dont let that be your deciding factor. lots of tall pro's ride factory 600's.. and they are a helluva lot better than us.

FYI, Im almost 6'3 and Ive never had 1 complaint about my 750

your zx6r makes a 130hp?

so jelly... well, not really. i just jumped ship to an 08 zx6r and i already feel like it's way stronger than my 03 600rr.

And has that additional horsepower made you any faster?

I suspect not. Maybe eventually, but 20 hp doesn't immediately translate into faster laps. Horsepower is an obstacle to riding at a pace your brain can cope with.

Handling and feel are king at the track. My friend Jeff went from a 1000rr to an r6 and dropped several seconds at every track. The 600 is just easier to ride without making a mistake. That inspires confidence and faster laps.

I am in a similar situation, except I will be coming from a Speed Triple, to ???...

I really like V2's though, SV650/SV1000?

I have considered a Street Triple R ,or a Daytona 675R, but that is more $ than I want to spend on a track bike.

All fun for me, not trying to set any records, or become a racer (hahaha), I just want to be a decent track rider, stay upright, and have a good time is all.

Not really thread jacking, a message within a question...

46c206d4-edfe-ec58.jpgWell, I'm a 7fiddy owner now. You guys made a good case and sounds like a lot of experience. It was a gray one running intermediate at mid Ohio Monday may 14.

Anybody know this bike?

And has that additional horsepower made you any faster?

I suspect not. Maybe eventually, but 20 hp doesn't immediately translate into faster laps. Horsepower is an obstacle to riding at a pace your brain can cope with.

Handling and feel are king at the track. My friend Jeff went from a 1000rr to an r6 and dropped several seconds at every track. The 600 is just easier to ride without making a mistake. That inspires confidence and faster laps.

lol wtf are you going on about? re-read the post you quoted and report back.

I know the 130hp claim wasn't yours. I was referencing your claim that the zx6 feels stronger than your Honda.

i still don't see why that would prompt your little snobby diatribe?

did i claim anything else other than the fact that i am, in fact, NOT jealous of a SS bike because my stock newer bike already feels stronger than my old bike?

331634958_387617c29f.jpg

we can't admire big HP numbers being produced on what is basically our same bikes (with significantly massaged motors) without being preached to by a fellow noob racer with like 2 races under his belt? sorry, oh god of the 03 600rr's. never again will i tarnish the name of the marginally less powerful, slightly older bikes.

*smiley face*

• Upvote 2

46c206d4-1928-054d.jpg46c206d4-1933-7d95.jpgIt ended up being $3300 for a basically stock 07 GSXR 750. It has rearsets, grips, an Akrapavich slip on, and brand new Dunny GPA's. I'm going to outfit it with EBC Extreme Pro pads and galfer steel lines up front, some new levers, and maybe upgrade the steering stabilizer. Then it's time to learn how to ride it.

I'm time a full exhaust with a PCIII and new suspension components as I find heavily used and bruised performance parts on Fleabay.

I can tuck easier with this than my Busa, but my elbows sit outside of my knees quite a but. It also feels like sitting in a lawn chair vs an oversized chair with an ottaman. I'm very excited to try it out.

Looks pretty nice! I just upgraded the brakes on my CBR954 with Galfer lines and rotors on the front and ceramic pads. They made a big difference in the feel and control. I'm 6'5" and 260 so the 954 has enough power to haul my butt around and enough size that I don't feel cramped. Glad you found a nice track bike, see you at the track!

...I'm going to outfit it with EBC Extreme Pro pads and galfer steel lines up front,...

Personally I've never been a fan of EBC's. A LOT of guys are running Vesrah RJL or SRJL pads on the track. I've use them as well a Carbon Loraine, both were very good. Shop around and price them with the EBC's. They might cost a little more but I think you'll have better pads, IMO.

Ebc aren't bad if you pickup the top of the line ones. I just switched to a set of the and haven't had any issues. I was on the carboloraine pads the last 2 years and the feeling between the two are close. I would get the gpfa ebc though over the extreme pro, way better pad if your going to go with ebc.

46c206d4-1928-054d.jpg46c206d4-1933-7d95.jpgIt ended up being $3300 for a basically stock 07 GSXR 750. It has rearsets, grips, an Akrapavich slip on, and brand new Dunny GPA's. I'm going to outfit it with EBC Extreme Pro pads and galfer steel lines up front, some new levers, and maybe upgrade the steering stabilizer. Then it's time to learn how to ride it.

I'm time a full exhaust with a PCIII and new suspension components as I find heavily used and bruised performance parts on Fleabay.

I can tuck easier with this than my Busa, but my elbows sit outside of my knees quite a but. It also feels like sitting in a lawn chair vs an oversized chair with an ottaman. I'm very excited to try it out.

Congrats on the buy!

IMO, don't waste your money on the upgrades. Stock levers and damper are fine.

Brake lines are a good idea, but flushing and bleeding the system will get you going just fine. Wait till you actually see a loss of feel before doing the upgrade. I found the stock lines to be fine when I had my 750 out.

Again, I'd only replace the pads if they are worn down. Wait till they are needed for the upgrade.

The cost of all those upgrades would add up to a few track days and improving your skill is the best upgrade you can get.