Zimmerman bond hearing is over - Judge to rule soon

Scruit

A lot of the state's case about money hiding was well presented, but some key parts were proven to be innocent...

They convinced me that both knew exactly how much money was in the account. No doubt.

However the state's claim that the money was trasnferredin $9900 increments to avoid triggering automatic reporting requirements turns out to be a paypal ceiling on transfers. The state countered that the money was transferred from paypal to a bank, then from one bank to another with no such limit, and that the second transfer was an attempt to stay below the magic $10k number. Zimmerman responded that every transfer from bank-to bank matched the transfer from paypal to the bank.

So, the question is, should bond be revoked and should he be held until trial? To decide that we have to consider why bond exists... To ensure that people return for trial while alleviating jail overcrowding and ensuring people who wind up being acquitted are not "punished" in advance.

I know that the state and the court were both concerned that he was on the outside with $200k in his bank and a spare passport... So it was absolutely the right thing to do to bring him in and re-evaluate the bond. But now seeing the passport is secured and the money is also secured I think the judge SHOULD grant bond again, but it will be a higher dollar amount.

Still leaves much unanswered. Where did the money go in the end? Was it used for bail? Was it spent on lawyers or was it just moved out of public site for undisclosed purposes. I'd have to look at the intent and where the money ended up is the smoking gun.

If you're already proven that you're willing to commit perjury to avoid being remanded, and you have the means, finances, and motive to be a flight risk, you're a flight risk and you should be remanded. Next time, don't lie under oath.

I fully agree with the distinguished gentleman from Worthington, it's time to get this show on the road.

Still leaves much unanswered. Where did the money go in the end? Was it used for bail? Was it spent on lawyers or was it just moved out of public site for undisclosed purposes. I'd have to look at the intent and where the money ended up is the smoking gun.

It doesn't matter where the money went. They said they were destitute UNDER OATH, and it turns out they were shuffling around hundreds of thousands in donated funds, with the intent to defraud the bond judge into buying the ruse. Case closed.

According to http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57463573-504083/trayvon-martin-case-no-immediate-ruling-on-george-zimmerman-bond/ " Prosecutors said Zimmerman created a website for his legal defense that had raised $135,000 at the time of his first bond hearing, but they failed to mention it. "

Certainly not

hundreds of thousands in donated funds
, not even close.

The just need to get on with this trial, the 'facts' that people are reporting are becoming more and more bloated.

According to http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57463573-504083/trayvon-martin-case-no-immediate-ruling-on-george-zimmerman-bond/ " Prosecutors said Zimmerman created a website for his legal defense that had raised $135,000 at the time of his first bond hearing, but they failed to mention it. "

Certainly not , not even close.

The just need to get on with this trial, the 'facts' that people are reporting are becoming more and more bloated.

actually "1 and 1/3 hundred" is pretty close to "hundreds" meaning at least 2...

1 and 1/3 rounds to 1 sorry. If it was 1 and 1/2 I might give it to you.

i'm not saying it's there, I'm saying it's close...

if i gave you 135, you're close to 200, but I heard he had somewhere closer to 250 thousand in that account, maybe not at the time of the phone calls, but shortly thereafter.

i'm not saying it's there, I'm saying it's close...

if i gave you 135, you're close to 200, but I heard he had somewhere closer to 250 thousand in that account, maybe not at the time of the phone calls, but shortly thereafter.

Really? 135 is close to 200? Or is it close to 100 or 150? :dunno:

arbitrarily close to all 3, but you can't say that 135,000 "isn't even close" to 200,000, cause honestly it is...

but i understand how arbitrary the word "close" is

I'm pretty far from you, but compared to japan, you're close.

arbitrarily close to all 3, but you can't say that 135,000 "isn't even close" to 200,000, cause honestly it is...

but i understand how arbitrary the word "close" is

I'm pretty far from you, but compared to japan, you're close.

Okay so we twist things to fit the narrative and sound worse got it. All you had to say is hundreds of thousands sounds worse so we are running with it. So I guess you are a millionaire. Right?

quick search shows that while on the phone with his wife, she said 155... and more had been raised since then, can we get over the "S" he had well clear of $100,000 at that time, and since that phone call the total had come up substantially, closer to a quarter million.

meanwhile he said he had no money to speak of...

Edited by magley64

Its all in the eye of the beholder. For those who say he's guilty anything over $100 k is going to be

hundreds of thousands

So then if you owe the IRS $135000 in back taxes its ok for them to penalize you for

hundreds of thousands
instead of the actual figure, right?

No matter if he had a million after the lie, the prosecution said $135k, and based on their track record of making it (the accusations) sound worse than 9/11 I'm willing to bet they included every red penny in their total.

So, set bail. He has proven he is not a flight risk, they have his passport, tell him how much bail he has to come up with, set a trial date and get on with it.

100k to get out of jail? fuuuuck. i would just stay locked up and save my money....he wont make that 100k on the outside, so theyre basically paying him 100k to stay in jail for a few months...sign me up!

You realize he gets it back once the court case is over, right? Granted, he's not going to make any interest on that money while it's in the State's hands, but unless he violates the terms of his bail, he's getting that cash back, even if he's found guilty.

You realize he gets it back once the court case is over, right? Granted, he's not going to make any interest on that money while it's in the State's hands, but unless he violates the terms of his bail, he's getting that cash back, even if he's found guilty.

that wasnt my understanding. i was under the impression that the 10% was non-refundable. guess thats only if its run through a bail bonds company?

Depends on the type of bond. If the court will take 10% then Zimmerman will get that 10% back, minus a processing fee (~10% of that 10%) ie $1m bond, $100k placed with the court and refunded upon the bond no longer being needed - except that the court may keep $10k as a fee. Every state/county/court can be different so this is jst a guess.

If they have to go through a bail bondsman then the entire 100k (10% of 1m) is kept by the bondsman as his fee.