Enough chain room to up the rear teeth?

smashweights

About 3 weeks ago I got a new 520 chain kit for my 04 R6 and went -1/+0 on the gearing thinking I wouldn't want to step it up to the "traditional" -1/+2 gearing and now having second thoughts and wishing I'd gone +2 on the back. Will a +2 sprocket have a large enough diameter over the stock size that it will make a difference in terms of chain length needed? I've obviously already cut and linked the new chain and just want to know that i'll have enough slack in the chain to swap the 48T rear for a 50T rear without having to get a new chain.

On second thought, I can swap sprockets without breaking the chain, right? :wtf:

Yes, you can swap sprockets without breaking the chain.

How much slack adjustment is the question? If you have a lot of slack adjustment available, you would likely be alright. You gained some distance with a smaller front sprocket, so you only really need space for 'one' tooth on the rear.

If you've already cut the chain to length for the current sprocket set up, I wouldn't be so sure you got enough. As posted above how much adjustment did you leave yourself? I did the same on my last chain and sprocket and if I wanted to do what you're wanting there's no way I'd have enough room to go up another tooth.

Sent via Droid Incredible

I've got about a full inch to bring the rear axle up to adjust for chain slack. And you're right, Isaac, it would narrow the wheel base to bring the axle up a bit, which might make it a bit easier to turn in, but I doubt it'll be noticeable.