MY 85 VF500F Interceptor 500 FS

jporter12

I've decided I don't have the time, facilities, or money to keep this bike. It's running pretty well right now, but it IS a 28 year old bike. It has an oil leak (minor) and it's a little noisy. My plans were to upgrade the suspension, repaint, and start sourcing custom made engine parts to restore it. I've decided that's not going to happen any time soon, so it's for sale. I have it listed on craigslist for $1000 to fend off the low-ballers. The OR asking price is $800. Trades considered, I would like to add to my gun collection.

Here's the link to the CL ad so the pics can be seen:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3124502756.html

Anybody that has seen it in person will agree, LBTS!

Nice pics on the clist ad. GLWS

Thanks! Just a couple quick shots I took out in the driveway. I didn't do any editing on them or anything.

I'll trade you a Hi Point and two cold beers

That had better be some REALLY good beer! :lol: No offense, but I'm not really interested in a hi-point, even though I know that you've had little or no problems with that one.

Were you in Lebanon a week or more ago? Saw one right downtown on the main drag.

That is an awesome price. If this is still for sale after I get back from Mid-O weekend, you may be hearing from me.

Nope, I didn't renew the plates or insurance for it last August.

Just curious you gonna upgrade finally or just ride the 250?

I would LOVE to trade up to a nice bike - Barter Kings style! I'm keeping the 250, even if I get an upgrade.

I got a 99 dr-350 I will trade ya on this?

Let me think about that. Can you pm me some pics? (Or PM me for my number and text them.)

Keep in mind guys, this is an old bike and even though it was my daily rider until I decided to not renew the tags, there is NO guarantee of how long it will go. I put quite a bit of work into it to get it running as well as it does.

That had better be some REALLY good beer! :lol: No offense, but I'm not really interested in a hi-point, even though I know that you've had little or no problems with that one.

I'm just yanking your chains I said cold beers not necessarily good beers ;):D. I'm probably gonna sell it I barely use it anymore except when I go to the range with my roommate.

cool old bike.

I would actually be pretty interested if it weren't in such good shape :(

My next bike is either going to be an SV650 (first gen), or something like this that I can just completely rat-out and not care if it falls over in a parking lot.

the paint may be faded on yours, but all the bodywork is there and in one piece. Hell, I bet you could part it for more than $800 if no one jumps on the CL asking price in a few weeks. Body work alone will get you a couple hundred...

internet says the baby interceptor put out 70hp in its day.

Is that accurate?

I'm comparing it to an EX500, which put out a whopping 52hp on its best day. 70 is SV650 territory.

Granted, I doubt any interceptors are making 70 hp NOW with 28 year old engines, but if the potential is there, I'd look for an eBay motor and try rebuilding it!

Where is the oil leak? If its left side case you're probably looking at a clutch pushrod shaft seal which requires taking half the motor apart....genius engineers pressed it in from the inside of the motor....I love v4 Hondas, wish I had room for another project.

Where is the oil leak? If its left side case you're probably looking at a clutch pushrod shaft seal which requires taking half the motor apart....genius engineers pressed it in from the inside of the motor....I love v4 Hondas, wish I had room for another project.

That's exactly what one of the leaks is, and I had done the o-ring inside the seal trick to slow it down. I have the seal, I even have a set of engine cases from the original engine that go with it. The other leak is the coolant tubes between the cylinder banks, which I have all the seals for as well. That leak is a very slow leak, in fact I've never needed to add coolant to it, you just get a whiff of it once in a while, and can see it get stained there.

I would love to hang on to it and restore it, I just don't have the time or facilities to do so.

As for power, I think 70-80 is about what they made, the bike pulls pretty hard. I did have a guy take it for a ride that said it seemed to be lack a little on the top from what he remembered them doing back in the day, which might be able to be cured with some carb work.

The little noisy part in my OP I think is one of the timing chain tensioners, which I should have a couple that go with it. It's been doing it for several hundred, if not over 1000 miles and not changed any.

If you do end up parting it out .... Let me know

My 500 is currently in this state & I may need a starter soon

edit: (actually I need to take some more current pics)

P7190084.jpg

84500004.jpg

Edited by Big3