Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door

magley64

I live 2 miles from a police station, a block from a Speedway, across the street from a PNC ATM, and 2 blocks from a Kroger. Anything a stranger wants from me at 2:00 AM isn't going to go well for him.

As for the story.... tragic. I wonder what would happen to the homeowners had the cops been shot.... illegal search and all.

Edited by C-bus

pull it no, have it on me at 2am when I wasn't expecting a visitor....yes

That's how I roll, I'll have it hidden behind the door in my hand, discrete and readily available.

-VanDy

I wonder what would happen to the homeowners had the cops been shot.... illegal search and all.

I'm willing to bet he'd get WAY more scrutiny... but I think castle doctrine would have gotten him clear, especially if the officers never identified themselves.

I live 2 miles from a police station, a block from a Speedway, across the street from a PNC ATM, and 2 blocks from a Kroger. Anything a stranger wants from me at 2:00 AM isn't going to go well for him.

I don't understand the significance of the gas station, ATM, and Kroger. You live too far away from the police station to be within earshot, and the rest of these things don't really do anything for you at all, at least not that I can see. Care to explain?

I'm willing to bet he'd get WAY more scrutiny... but I think castle doctrine would have gotten him clear, especially if the officers never identified themselves.

I'm willing to bet the homeowner would be made dead. Just ask the former SGT in Arizona that got a knock on a wrong door from a police raid and decided to protect his family.

Castle Doctrine vs. Qualified Immunity, Immunity wins every time. The burden of proof to demonstrate that the police were willfully and intentionally breaching and searching the wrong house is pretty goddamn high, especially when the blue wall forms, and ESPECIALLY if the homeowner decides to protect his family and shoots the intruder.

I don't understand the significance of the gas station, ATM, and Kroger. You live too far away from the police station to be within earshot, and the rest of these things don't really do anything for you at all, at least not that I can see. Care to explain?

Anything the stranger would need could be had at anyone of these places. No need to knock on someones door at 2am.

EDIT: Im to slow.

Edited by 20thGix
slothyness

He means every thing possible is around him no need for a stranger to be knocking on his door for anything. It's readily available across the street

I don't necessarily agree with that. Knocking over a grocery store the size of Kroger is HARD, with limited return on "investment". Knocking over a hardened ATM is high-risk, high-reward, but it's even harder without tools, adequate planning, and a shitload of time. Depending on the security of the gas station, that may be comparatively easy, but weighing all the options, if you were seriously fucked up and wanted to rob something or someone, a home invasion would be the easiest choice for the best return.

He's not talking about robbing those places... the point was the grocery, ATM, and gas are all had within a small radius; therefore nothing he can provide can't already be legally and legitimately acquired.

So, da fuq are you doing at my door?

He does not mean that Cheech. He's referring to the classic knock on the door with the I'm out of gas can I use your phone line. Come on son

I see now I shouldn't be substituting iced tea for coffee in the morning. I understand, carry on. :)

i answer the door with a gun ready, but concealed from sight....dont need the bad attention if its someone that doesnt mean any harm (neighbor, landlord, etc)

to answer the door already pointing the gun without knowing who is on the other side is VERY irresponsible, no matter what circumstances.....remember that rule of gun safety about not pointing your weapon at people?

I think its an odd situation, and i think the circumstances suck....but in the end, you should never open the door with a gun pointing out at whoever is on the other side

if you know them to be a thread, dont open it....if you arent sure, have it ready but not pointed

as for the question of was he already pointing it or did he point it after he saw them.....does it matter? if he saw police with guns, he should have dropped his before opening the door...if he saw them once the door was open and THEN decided to draw on them, he deserved what he got......theres too many "what-ifs" to know exactly what happened, but in the end it comes down to a homeowner who used poor judgement and unfortunately fell victim to an unnecessary shooting

I don't answer the door. I just ask them who they are and what do they want..very disgruntled. No need to open the door' date=' ever. If someone tries to break it down, it's not bullet proof. I'll shoot right through it and leave a bloody mess on the porch.[/quote']

^^This

Did they actually identify themselves or have on police clothing? Because I was under the impression they didnt. It also sounds to me like they were looking for a murder suspect so as soon as he opened the door they probably tried to force themselves in and in that case I imagine most of us would pull a gun to protect ourselves. But as always with these kinds of stories, I imagine there is more to it, and I doubt the police are gonna say they made a boo boo so you will never hear the whole story.

Edited by JStump

the now dead dude should never have opened his door at 2AM without knowing for sure who was on the other side of that door, whether he (the homeowner) had a gun or not.

sorry he's dead, but he brought it upon himself by not being vigilant. if he would have verified by looking AND asking, he wouldn't have had the firearm at ready and he would still be alive.

i don't answer the door, period, unless it's one of my neighbors - but that's because i'm basically anti-social; at least when it comes to jehovah's witness', tree trimmers, kids selling crap, and other boors who come knocking.

that being said, the police should be held accountable for manslaughter at the least - but they won't. "Oooh, sorry 'bout your luck, but we're just doin' our job".

I greet em butt ass nekkid with an erection. Grants me the element of surprise. And if its a lady, well, at that point she has to want to know more. Either way I win

damn peaut butter rule. :nono: