Should i or should i not ?

BikerBoy

Do my 600 miles service my self ?

state 8 is asking for $195 to basically change oil and filter, and last time i took a bike to manuals motorcycle they over filled it with oil according to a nice person who checked it .

So i am thinking about doing it my self , would you advice against it ?

Is there anything to it other than changing oil and filter and check for loose bolts ?

Thanks

That better be some oil/filter their using. I just change mine myself when I can I check for abnormal matalic flakes in the oil in the pan strong fuel smell as well it's a great way to learn your bike better. I'm no expert but an oil change is fairly simple. Now as in the service that needs done is the oil/filter all that's being done?

That better be some oil/filter their using. I just change mine myself when I can I check for abnormal matalic flakes in the oil in the pan strong fuel smell as well it's a great way to learn your bike better. I'm no expert but an oil change is fairly simple. Now as in the service that needs done is the oil/filter all that's being done?

Yep , i had them print it out for me , it's replace oil and oil filter, inspect brakes , tighten chain bolts and body bolts and that is it .

1.08 hour service charge totals to $195.00 + tax .

I'd call it prudent to have the dealership at least do the very first service. I'm not saying that $195 is a good price' date=' but it's "technically" not just an oil change. Oil and filter will cost you upwards of $50, or so. Now you have ~$140 in labor and miscellaneous charges. Not really astronomical, if you think about it.[/quote']

^^^this but feel free to use any dealer or shop as long as the work done is recorded for warranty purposes. As long as you have the work done, the warranty holds, regardless of where the work is done.

Oh... I forgot to mention that I would pretty much take it anywhere but State8.

I would have the dealer do the first one. Bikes are predictable when new and they know what to check. And IP is correct, anywhere but state 8. Didn't see what makes it is but Ohio Motorcycle has a pretty awesome service department.

Even taking it for service one time that you own it constitutes a reasonable attempt to maintain the vehicle.

Also' date=' you bought a brand new GSX-R1000. Is $200 really a bank smasher?[/quote']

Any advice on where else to take ?

I am in akron ohio , and would love to ride somewhere waste and hour or 2 and ride back home.

Would you do it ?

Make an appointment with Roush. That's probably the soonest you'll get into a shop. I'm surprised they're able to schedule you that early' date=' actually.[/quote']

:o

wow , okay i'll do that then , how about insurance ? anyone to buy insurance from progressive is charging me same as my motorcycle payment.

I guess i only have around a 100 miles to miss around with till monday when i get my bike into service , sucks , no riding this weekend either.

Change oil yourself, check fasteners, chain and all crucial points of interest, you can find all the info needed online, then you ride this weekend.

I agree with all on the first service, but you are probably only paying for a record of service, you really do not know what all they check, not a fan of dealers.

I would feel better taking it to a trusted private mechanic that will actually do the entire first service as recommended by Suzuki, if you do not want to do the work yourself that is.

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=75502

If he can't get you a good rate' date=' try these guys.

Don't be surprised if your quotes are high. The GSX-R is a very expensive bike to insure, especially if you're younger than most.

^This^ & I have heard others mention...

https://www.dairylandcycle.com/motorcycle-insurance

I use Geico...

http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?t=75502

If he can't get you a good rate' date=' try these guys.

Don't be surprised if your quotes are high. The GSX-R is a very expensive bike to insure, especially if you're younger than most.

Young i am not .

but still i think paying the same about for insurance as the bike payment is a little bit too much , i understand it's a supersport bike bla bla bla , but c'mon a premium of 150 a month with 500 deductible isn't too much ?

anyway will give these people calls tomorrow too , thanks IP

Change oil yourself, check fasteners, chain and all crucial points of interest, you can find all the info needed online, then you ride this weekend.

I agree with all on the first service, but you are probably only paying for a record of service, you really do not know what all they check, not a fan of dealers.

I would feel better taking it to a trusted private mechanic that will actually do the entire first service as recommended by Suzuki, if you do not want to do the work yourself that is.

doing first service at the dealer for the record of service as IP advised, after that changing oil can be done home or @ Rick Roush in Medina they have a special of 39.99 for oil and filter.