Washer and Dryer shopping

Bad324

I need to start the research and search of purchasing a washer and gas dryer for the new house and I have zero idea where to start or what is good and what not

My budget is between $1500-$1750. All suggestions welcome

I just went through this. I spoke to a couple people that repair appliances (friends of friends). The verdict seems to be that front load washers look cool, but they WILL EVENTUALLY LEAK. The door seals eventually go bad, they are more prone to bearing failures, and more likely to have issues with mold.

I was going to go with a front load washer, but my mind was changed by people that fix them for a living. I wound up with a Samsung top loader. No regrets.

if you wanna spend money well, Bosch.

if you wanna waste money, Asko.

if you don't wanna spend a lot, Kenmore.

I'd go online to Sears Appliances, check the amount of $$ you want to spend, then look for 4 star and up user reviews.

Old-school top load washer and el-cheapo dryer are probably your best bet, money-wise. Won't have the "wow" bling factor to impress your friends, but will have (probably) very few issues. Assuming they're hiding somewhere, who cares what they look like?

I have HE front load Kenmore Elite (2 years old, wrote them into the contract of my latest abode), wash is done in 45 minutes, dry is done in 35. My Bosch HE set I have at the mansion is 4 years old and the cycle times are 60 minutes.

I've got access to supplier pricing at Whirlpool (whirlpool, maytag, amana, jenn-air, kitchen-aid, gladiator, etc.). From what i've checked, the prices online at Whirlpool are better than Amazon, Lowes, Sears, w/free delivery over $1K.

If you're interested I'll send you a user/pass so's you can take a look-see.

Edited by jblosser
user reviews

I just went through this. I spoke to a couple people that repair appliances (friends of friends). The verdict seems to be that front load washers look cool, but they WILL EVENTUALLY LEAK. The door seals eventually go bad, they are more prone to bearing failures, and more likely to have issues with mold.

I was going to go with a front load washer, but my mind was changed by people that fix them for a living. I wound up with a Samsung top loader. No regrets.

Fuck. I just did some research into these and may still end up getting a set (opted to replace stove/dishwasher instead, they were pretty well due). My W/D sits in a closet right in my living room, so my thought was to get front loads that I could stack to make space for some laundry that otherwise would have been all over the living room floor. The seals I don't have a huge issue with as they don't require ripping apart the entire appliance to fix, but the mold and bearing failures I've got a problem with. Can you elaborate some more?

just wipe the front seal dry when you're done washing, or leave the door ajar.

if you forget, a shot of Clorox on a towel will clean it up.

can't speak to bearing failures as i haven't had any.

Fuck. I just did some research into these and may still end up getting a set (opted to replace stove/dishwasher instead, they were pretty well due). My W/D sits in a closet right in my living room, so my thought was to get front loads that I could stack to make space for some laundry that otherwise would have been all over the living room floor. The seals I don't have a huge issue with as they don't require ripping apart the entire appliance to fix, but the mold and bearing failures I've got a problem with. Can you elaborate some more?

For the bearings... they are located behind/under the center of the wash tub. On a top load, weight is balanced directly over the bearing. On a top load, the weight is hanging in front of the main bearing.

I can't speak to how frequently they actually fail. But I heard the exact same comment from 2 people that fix them.

btw...

I got this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+7.2+Cu.+Ft.+9-Cycle+Ultra-Large+Capacity+Electric+Dryer+-+White/5021538.p?id=1218597394765&skuId=5021538

and this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+4.2+Cu.+Ft.+9-Cycle+Top-Loading+Washer+-+White/5021501.p?id=1218597396724&skuId=5021501

If you can wait a few weeks, the sale prices on these can be significant.

I was between LG and Samsung. Just so happened Samsung was on sale the week I bought them.

btw...

I got this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+7.2+Cu.+Ft.+9-Cycle+Ultra-Large+Capacity+Electric+Dryer+-+White/5021538.p?id=1218597394765&skuId=5021538

and this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+4.2+Cu.+Ft.+9-Cycle+Top-Loading+Washer+-+White/5021501.p?id=1218597396724&skuId=5021501

If you can wait a few weeks, the sale prices on these can be significant.

I was between LG and Samsung. Just so happened Samsung was on sale the week I bought them.

Also, I can't speak for Home Depot, but Lowe's will price-match internet pricing, as long as shipping charges (or non-charges) are taken into account. I pricematched my oven from AJMadison and got them to drop $250 from the cost.

Not sure if this is relevant but at a museum I saw a washer/dryer from the 50's. It was all the same unit. It just started drying once it was done washing. Guess they're big in Europe. That's what I'd get. No more pissing around loading unloading.

We have a front load LG washer that replaced the POS maytag front load that only lasted 3 years some board went out and the board cost like $600 more than I paid for the washer on black friday when I bought it the LG has a magnet that holds door open to let air circulate no mold issues at all and it is whisper quiet.

I do about 5 loads a week, fiance does 2...

Is she makin' you sammiches or washing your bike while you are doing an extra 3 loads? Ya better get that girl to come correct before you make her legit or it will cost you a corner or two off your man card.:nono:

I mean, I wish the two of you all the best on your nuptuals!:D