there isnt one bike that will do everything

Hoblick

i should know.. i have been through my fair share of bikes, from supersports, small and large sport touring, naked bikes, metric and HD, power cruiser, Bagger.. ive ridden and owned alot of bikes, of all different types.

I have for sure come to the conclusion there isnt one bike that will satisfy all your needs. So if your looking for that one that will do all, just save your money and buy a few different bikes for different purposes.

i liked things about all the bikes i have owned.. they each had there sweet spot, and each had there own character (aside from the FJR1300, that bike has no character at all)

by far the Ducati Multistrada is the one bike i get on and it always impresses me, it always makes me smile. it does everything i want it to do better than i can ask. my only grips are the seat is not overly comfortable ( some say its an amazing seat for a stock seat, im super picky about saddle comfort), and the forks are under sprung for even just me on the bike, let along a passenger and a little luggage. Both can be remedied though.

it has taken a long time to find a bike that could fit more than 50% of my riding style, comfort, passenger comfort, luggage capabilities, looks, attitude, and have character. I cant own a bike that has no character.

i just thought id share this with everyone, just something that always pops in my head, and after a weekend ride on the Multi im always reassured i have the right bike for me.. Finally!

You are correct. I think that riding different types of bikes make you overall a better street rider. My enduros and supermotos definitely helped my corner speed, leaning, and which line to use while riding. Going from a 600rr to sv650 helped me appreciate the supersport bikes and I'm glad I'm on a touring/naked now. When I started out as a noob I had to have a 600 then wanted the 1000. But now I want the odd.bikes. scooters, 400's, old cafe style bikes, the niche market of bikes that are just cool go ride because the main stream is against them.

I really want a fzr250/400 or bandit 400 for my next bike.

Good post.Hoblick

/rant

The closest thing to a universal bike I've had was a CB750.

But then again I'm not the "look at ME" type.

I used to ride an old Suzuki GS750e that had that UJM thing going for it. Closest think now would be an FZ8, Z1000 or CB1000R. The NC700X looks interesting but seems like it might be a little underpowered/underbraked/undersprung.

I like the VFR just fine for now. I am not a tourer yet and I don't have any real desire to go off-road. But I'll never ride anything where you can't at least stand on the pegs to go over a bump. So, cruisers are out.

Except for doing triples on an MX track, my bike has truly done everything I've ever wanted - touring, commuting, 2-up, twisties, gravel, back roads, cruising. I've done a track day on it, and rode it on a goat path in lower New Mexico to the top of a mountain, you name it.

It has no "soul", because as everyone knows the Japanese don't have soul, but it does everything I ask without much fuss...and about 1/4 the cost of its competitors.

i should know.. i have been through my fair share of bikes, from supersports, small and large sport touring, naked bikes, metric and HD, power cruiser, Bagger.. ive ridden and owned alot of bikes, of all different types.!

Luck guy just one bike. I have four to fill my needs. ;)

I have for sure come to the conclusion there isnt one bike that will satisfy all your needs. So if your looking for that one that will do all, just save your money and buy a few different bikes for different purposes.

Took me a while (and 4 bikes) to figure this out for myself. There are a few bikes that can do everything, but none that do everything very well.

That said, I love my Z1000. It's fun in the twisties and when you get on it, you get that oh shit feeling with the front wheel coming up on its own. Yet, it's great for commuting and moderately long trips. My only gripe is the relatively small fuel capacity.

My plan is to pick up a beemer adventure touring bike (maybe a GS1200) next year. I just got back from CO and the wife and I took a drive through Rocky Mountain National Park and I am SO going to ride out there and tour through the mountains on a bike.

The more "fancy" bikes I buy/sell the more I fall in love with simple cheapo bikes. I had to mature as a rider to truly appreciate a bike like the tw200 or scooters.

The TW200 rocks as long as you're under 6 ft tall. :D