Recommend me a sport touring bike

ducatihottie999

I've had sport bikes, sport touring bikes and touring bikes.

Sport touring are good for one up, getting errands done, but nothing, and I mean nothing eats highway up like a goldwing or bmw or harley set up for touring.

I evolved from sport to touring gradually. If I had garage space, I'd get something sportier, but loving the Wing I have now.

Some touring bikes suck unless you're on the highway, like GL1800's big harley baggers.

this one does fine around town, and exceptional on the highway- I went with the GL1200 for those reason, not $$

Over the last year(s) I'm more fond of touring Ohio's country side and sneaking into Pa. Posture on a sport-touring bike kills me after a while, I just quit scraping pegs thats all ;)

just my .02, your mileage may vary

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't go wrong with a Triumph Sprint ST. They are no longer produced but I am sure you can find some good deals on one. I have put over 30k on mine and it does everything great. Is a much better two up ride than the vfr.

I own a C14 and it is the best bike I have ever had. I ride it year round no matter how cold. More than fast enough at 0-60 in 2.9 sec. 150 hp and over 40mpg. They say it will do the 1/4 mile in less than 11 sec. All that aside is is the most fun low maintenance bike I have ever owned and I have owned a lot of bikes. They say they are heavy and tough to ride at slow speed. I disagree and as with any bike there is a learning curve. Tons of after market stuff and the support from the website:http://cog-online.org/ClubPortal/ClubStatic.cfm?clubID=1328&pubmenuoptID=13528 is second to none. Hard bags pop right off and you will never find an unhappy owner. It runs off the ZX-14 motor which is re-tuned for sport touring. Bullet proof time tested motor. Has the ability to remove all chicken strips, ride 2 up in comfort, haul groceries, or blow away a V-Rod or V-Max. Make sure you get the ABS model. Maybe I will let you take mine for a spin.

I don't have a C14, and not quite ready to have a bike with that set-up yet. However I agree with all he said, bike is amazing.

Are you a member of COG? Are you going to be at the spider ride this weekend?

Once again, I also recommend the C14.

I honestly believe it's the best "sport" touring motorcycle sold today.

The new Multistrada may be better, but the initial cost, plus the cost of ownership put it below the Kawasaki ASAIC.

Beautiful.

IMG_20100913_185517.jpg

Comfortable.

CIMG1660.jpg

Nimble.

IMG_20100915_195012.jpg

Power.

SCAN0005.jpg

SCAN0006.jpg

I really regret selling mine...

I've been reading over this thread with interest for next year maybe. I think I've narrowed it down to a FJR1300 or a C14. Thoughts? Just comes down to price and options mostly as with most things. Having always been on a Supersport, this will be a turn around for me some. But I'm now looking for something more comfortable and can take a passenger on without killing their ass an mine.

unless you're REALLY loading the bike down with a ton of luggage and a second person, the C14 seems like a ton of overkill...

Why do you need a touring bike that does 0-60 in under 3 seconds? I'd want to keep it under 5 seconds, but I have to think a liter bike (or thereabouts) would be plenty. Isn't the Triumph ST a 955 triple? That seems like just about the perfect blend of torque and horsepower.

It all come down to how far you want to ride in a day and how much gear your taking with you. Both my Yama's are comfortable enough to run out full tanks of fuel without stopping. The FJR is a sexy tractor, two up bags & trunk full stills hauls ass. Can run 90 mph all day loaded and burns regular fuel.$$$