How much of a dick am I?

RSparky

Hell too dangerous just cruising the backroads in the dark cuz of all the deer and critters. City riding sucks unless on a cruiser.

You must be using that zx9 all wrong. :D

:lol:

Backroads during the day then some nice state route cruising at night :cool:

Seems I remember there being a limit to how bright a bulb mc's can run.....true or not?

The only thing I've ever seen is a limit by wattage, I think 55 watt for 12.0/12.8v?

Typical values:

H1 = 55 watts at 12.0 volts, and produces 1550 lumens ±15% when operated at 13.2 V. H2 (55 W @ 12.0 V, 1820 lm @ 13.2 V)

H2 = 55 W @ 12.0 V, 1820 lm @ 13.2 V

H3 = 55 W @ 12.0 V, 1450 lm ±15%

H4 = not used in USA

H7 = 55 W @ 12.0 V, 1500 lm ±10% @ 13.2 V

H8 = 35 W @ 12.0 V, 800 lm ±15% @ 13.2 V

H9 = 65 W @ 12.0 V, 2100 lm ±10% @ 13.2 V

H11 = 55 W @ 12.0 V, 1350 lm ±10% @ 13.2 V

HB1/9004 = 65 watts (high beam) and 45 watts (low beam) at 12.8 volts. 700 lumens on low beam and 1200 lumens on high beam.

9005/HB3 = 65 W, 12.8 V

9006/HB4 = 55 W, 12.8 V

9007/HB5 = 65/55 watts, 12.8 V

D1S, D1R, D2S, D2R, D3S, D3R, D4S, and D4R

HID headlamp burners produce between 2,800 and 3,500 lumens from between 35 and 38 watts of electrical power, while halogen filament headlamp bulbs produce between 700 and 2,100 lumens from between 40 and 72 watts at 12.8 V

I'm not sure if US has standards for HID yet, but international has:

D1R, D2R, D3R AND D4R

2800 lumens +/- 450 @ 35w @ 13.5v

2800 lumens +/- 150 @ 35w @ 13.5v

CATEGORIES D1S, D2S, D3S AND D4S

3200 lumens +/- 450 @ 35w @ 13.5v

3200 lumens +/- 150 @ 35w @ 13.5v

not sure what the difference in tolerance is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lamp_types

Edited by ReconRat

:rolleyes:

My wife just bought a lifted jeep. After my first night ride with her and seeing how many people flashed her, I had her park it in the back yard facing the house and adjusted them properly. It took all of three minutes to not be an asshole.

The old safety lane yearly vehicle inspections is one of the few government functions I think we were better off with.

Be different of I was driving around the big city. I'm in deer country.

I just took the MSF course and the instructors told us the brighter the better. We want to be seen. I ride with my brights on, why? Because they told me I can ;) they gave the example of holding up four fingers, that'd be a car, now remove three, that lonely finger is you. ;)

I just took the MSF course and the instructors told us the brighter the better. We want to be seen. I ride with my brights on, why? Because they told me I can ;) they gave the example of holding up four fingers, that'd be a car, now remove three, that lonely finger is you. ;)

That is dumb and if its actually in the material I've lost faith in the course. Having your brights on at night makes you no more visible then regular head lights when there's oncoming traffic. All its going to do is blind them and piss them off. But if you want old people, drunks and road raging assholes swerving at you keep it up. I don't even follow cars with my brights on it creates an un-safe distraction. If no ones around by all means use the brights but there's a reason the bikes were equipped with a switch to control them. If the bikes were supposed to have the brights on all the time they wouldn't have the switch. It makes all bikers look like dicks when people ride around with their brights on. If you can't see good enough or don't feel safe without running brights you probably shouldn't ride at night. Being on a bike doesn't give any free pass to be a jerk.

• Upvote 1

I agree. Night riding sucks. I have done it maybe 5x in the past 9 riding seasons. :eek:

I enjoy night riding especially out here where its triple digit temps. During the day and 60 at night. I ride a little more cautious at night due to the abundance of animals. I'm not quite sure how hitting a coiled up 6' rattlesnake will go but I don't wanna find out. I'm just saying riding at night isn't for everyone.

I run my brights often too, only I tend to flip them off for oncoming traffic. But the squatters in front of me on the interstate take the "slower traffic move right" hint a lot quicker when I catch up in the left lane and got a pair of projectors hitting their mirror along with my lowbeams.

I say do what you must to stay safe and have decent visibility. I'm lucky enough that my brights are in a seperate housing from my lows so they're adjusted differently from one another. So, I can go from "cool" to "asshole" in the flick of a switch:D

At

That is dumb and if its actually in the material I've lost faith in the course. Having your brights on at night makes you no more visible then regular head lights when there's oncoming traffic. All its going to do is blind them and piss them off. But if you want old people, drunks and road raging assholes swerving at you keep it up. I don't even follow cars with my brights on it creates an un-safe distraction. If no ones around by all means use the brights but there's a reason the bikes were equipped with a switch to control them. If the bikes were supposed to have the brights on all the time they wouldn't have the switch. It makes all bikers look like dicks when people ride around with their brights on. If you can't see good enough or don't feel safe without running brights you probably shouldn't ride at night. Being on a bike doesn't give any free pass to be a jerk.

My bright's aren't really even that bright, haven't pissed anyone off yet for on coming or following. However when I am following at night I do stay far back. I don't like my ass rode and I'm sure others don't either.

Keeping brights on at night would pose a problem for on-coming drivers, but during the day it is a non issue. Brights on are still not as annoying as those stupid ass modulators, which should be illegal IMHO. You are not supposed to look into an oncoming vehicles lights anyways, so how the hell is it gonna blind you during the day, and even at night if you think about it?

See numbers above. The standard motorcycle headlight on bright high beam is dimmer than all standard and halogen and HID headlights on cars/trucks. It's not the brightness, it is where it's aimed that causes problems. There is nothing wrong with riding with high beam on. The stock motorcycle low beam is not much more than a daytime driving light.

No, I did mine with retrofitsource. Correct projectors, with the flapping cut off, both operate by hi-lo switch. And yes, I adjusted with me on it. I measured the height of the projectors, went to the wall, taped 2" down, went back to the bike, sat on it, wiggled and turned my adjuster screws.

You're not being a dick' date=' but you will be if you continue to ride with poorly aligned headlight beams.[/quote']

:eek:

Dude, they are fucking aligned. that's what I've been trying to say.

:mad:

The bike is taller than a Camry's window. So, 2" down sometimes hits a mirror, with road vibrations and the bike pitching due to acceleration.

I've already to decided to keep it where it is, anyway. I'm not compromising my normal line of sight for anybody else.

:eek:

Dude, they are fucking aligned. that's what I've been trying to say.

:mad:

The bike is taller than a Camry's window. So, 2" down sometimes hits a mirror, with road vibrations and the bike pitching due to acceleration.

I've already to decided to keep it where it is, anyway. I'm not compromising my normal line of sight for anybody else.

Don't get mad when some old lady goes left of center because she's like a moth staring into your headlight and hits you or your buddy behind you.

Edited by cOoTeR

That's ok, the left side doesn't get people. My projectors have a lower left side than right side, for that reason. It's only on the occasion that the right side bounces up and gets in the mirrors of people going the same direction as me, while I cruise on their left side.

Don't get mad when some old lady goes left of center because she's like a moth staring into your headlight and hits you or your buddy behind you.

Well that old broad shouldn't have a license.

You people aren't realizing the several different factors that causes halogen or HID lights to appear like the highs are on or they are misaligned :rolleyes:

Yes. Yes they are. :rolleyes:

Obviously you're offended because you feel you are in that category. By not understanding there are far more factors than misaligned headlights to cause people's anger that they are "momentarily blinded" I'm led to believe your offense is justified

Well that old broad shouldn't have a license.

You people aren't realizing the several different factors that causes halogen or HID lights to appear like the highs are on or they are misaligned :rolleyes:

It may be true that she shouldn't have a license but doesn't mean she won't have one or won't be driving.

With the many factors that cause them to appear like the highs are on maybe they aren't worth pissing people off. Yeah its the riders choice to have them but it pisses other motorists off. It has the potential to cause someone to drive unsafe or become pissed to the point of road rage. Putting the brighter lights on a vehicle that has adequate lighting is a dick move. It obviously is affecting the other drivers. If they feel blinded by it he's going to have to deal with their reactions. You never know when a crazy f**k is going to snap. Just like the redneck tries to kill biker video from awhile ago. Those riders did nothing personally to the guy in the truck and outta nowhere he decides he's going to run them off the road. The I don't care if I piss everyone else off I do what I want attitude is a good way to push a crazy person over the edge. But if your comfortable with the risk by all means do it but don't expect me to feel sorry when an incident happens.