Stanley Steamer?

Tigerpaw

I have access to a free rug doctor machine, but need to provide my own chemicals. I heard this will not compare to a "professional" cleaning.

Do the Stanley Steamer style van mounted companies really do that much better of a job? Their online quote was about $400 for a 3br.

I do receive the coupons from various other companies. Just not sure if I trust them not to bait/switch.

So, which route do I take?

hahaha, I worked through college doing painting and carpets in the Summers.

We used cheap strong soap. Nothing special. Charged a little less than other outfits.

Most of the basic and fancy stuff you need is in an Ace hardware. Probably Lowes also, if it can be found.

edit: Any advantage would be in the equipment pulling a huge vacuum to remove dirt.

Work at it for a while with lesser equipment and you get about the same thing.

Difficult stains and dirt, just double the soap used, and let it soak first.

(I'd spray the tough parts first thing done, and run the vacuum on it last thing done.)

shock edit: $400, really? Geez... back in the day... you know, $40 bucks...

Isn't inflation great, just slap x10 on everything that ever was.

Edited by ReconRat

i rented one of home depot's carpet cleaners and it took all of the smoke from my kitchen fire out of my almost white carpet. I bought a gallon of the pro strength carpet cleaner by zep.

the power from the unit is so strong it lifts the carpet off the floor. it cost me $18 to rent.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100619247/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=zep+carpet+cleaner&storeId=10051

Edited by serpentracer