Motoseries Go Pro Tether Rule

r1crusher

***I posted this on the MS site also***

I have come up with a different solution since I don't want to fork over $20+ for something I can make for less.

So here goes:

1 x Assorted package of heavy duty fishing leaders

2012-09-03_18-34-48_646.jpg

1 x Mounting bases

2012-09-03_18-36-00_255.jpg

Select the leader length you would like to use and remove the clasp end from it, then attach the swivel end to a safety pin

2012-09-03_18-38-24_138.jpg

Slide the end which used to have the clasp on it through the opening of the hinge on your GoPro

2012-09-03_18-41-45_79.jpg

Attach a mounting base near your GoPro mount and then take the open looped end of the leader put it onto the safety pin and then put the safety pin through a set of holes on the mounting base

2012-09-03_18-43-03_29.jpg

I'm going to test how much force it takes to pull these base mounts off since they use some "normal" adhesive tape, but after putting one on and and try to pry on it I believe it should hold the camera just fine. That's it, pretty straight forward and I only have about $5 invested (less the cost of a safety pin but I have lots of extras of those anyway). Just an idea for anyone looking to save their money for track time, tires, etc. like me.

The thing I did (Steve can maybe give an idea of how it looked also from Putnam) was run safety wire through the metal rod that is the door hinge to the camera housing. I then wired it to a diaper pin like you did, but drilled a hole up near the fairing stay.

Essentially the exact same thing you did. However, my concern in looking at your setup is the length of the wire. Too long and it will dangle around and bang the body up and possibly swing around enough to break and come off anyways. Keep the line shorter so that it doesn't swing around too much.

Also, the Graves guys are using a rivet/button on the tail section. The safety wire runs from the body of the housing like I mentioned I did and then wired to this button/rivet. Again, not long enough to swing around and spin and break off, but would secure it if the arm breaks.

Also worth noting, GoPro has a tether system that sticks a base to the bodywork and has a nylon string that secures to the body. They use these on Trophy Trucks, etc. Great idea for the tail sections as a lot of guys do not have a bolt or similar close enough to wire to on the tails...

Great idea, though. Just show me the finished deal so I can asses the length...

First, this is not perfect by any means and certainly has room for improvements which is partly why I posted this. The other is like I said, I'm a cheap ass and think $20 for what Go Pro sells is too much. Yes, they do it to make money but not from me for something like this.

Why not just wrap the leader around your triple and connect it to itself.

Good idea until you have a failure and because you've tethered it to the triple your camera is now wedged down between the frame and the fork leg and you can't turn. I'd like to keep it on top of the bike if possible but yes, that is a place you could tether it to.

Why don't you just loop or clip the other end to something on the bike rather than using the sticky mounts?

There aren't always a nice close place to attach the leader to sometime so being able to just stick a small base where you want it is nice. And I don't have to worry about a taking a fastener off to attach it and then worry about it coming loose because I've wrapped a wire around it.

The thing I did (Steve can maybe give an idea of how it looked also from Putnam) was run safety wire through the metal rod that is the door hinge to the camera housing. I then wired it to a diaper pin like you did, but drilled a hole up near the fairing stay.

Essentially the exact same thing you did. However, my concern in looking at your setup is the length of the wire. Too long and it will dangle around and bang the body up and possibly swing around enough to break and come off anyways. Keep the line shorter so that it doesn't swing around too much.

Also, the Graves guys are using a rivet/button on the tail section. The safety wire runs from the body of the housing like I mentioned I did and then wired to this button/rivet. Again, not long enough to swing around and spin and break off, but would secure it if the arm breaks.

Also worth noting, GoPro has a tether system that sticks a base to the bodywork and has a nylon string that secures to the body. They use these on Trophy Trucks, etc. Great idea for the tail sections as a lot of guys do not have a bolt or similar close enough to wire to on the tails...

Great idea, though. Just show me the finished deal so I can asses the length...

Brian, first thanks for your input. The great thing with using fishing leaders is they come in a wide variety of lengths as you see in the images. If you wanted to use a shorter one, then go ahead and use a 6" leader instead of a 12" one. These are rate at 20 and 30lbs. test so I doubt they will fail easily. Again, I'm taking a 12" leader and looping it on the door hinge just like you are Brian so in the end it's only really 6" long to the camera. I honestly think my only problem could be with the bases I've found but the do seem strong. Do you need to see it on the bike as I envision it working?

Thanks again to everyone for their questions and input.

Ahhhh... Yes, looping it to be about 6" seems to make sense.

My thought was that if it swings, the wire won't give up, but the housing would. Meaning, it bangs around enough and the housing will crack or be forced open for example.

Personally, I think you are damned if you do, damned if you don't on these things... I like the fishing wire idea for sure. I know the sticky things you are using hold up really well. Used them on my USB connection on one of my race bikes and wadded the thing up. The sticky stayed on the tail section and didn't get yanked off.

Oh, yeah... I would like to see it on the bike. I think the more examples we show, the better educated everyone will be and these things won't be an issue after a while. It is to the point that a LOT of trackday and race orgs are looking hard at these cameras.

Oh, yeah... I would like to see it on the bike. I think the more examples we show, the better educated everyone will be and these things won't be an issue after a while. It is to the point that a LOT of trackday and race orgs are looking hard at these cameras.

Dang your new avator turns me on. I have 0 input here, but man I love that pic.

Ahhhh... Yes, looping it to be about 6" seems to make sense.

My thought was that if it swings, the wire won't give up, but the housing would. Meaning, it bangs around enough and the housing will crack or be forced open for example.

Personally, I think you are damned if you do, damned if you don't on these things... I like the fishing wire idea for sure. I know the sticky things you are using hold up really well. Used them on my USB connection on one of my race bikes and wadded the thing up. The sticky stayed on the tail section and didn't get yanked off.

Now you catching on old timer! :D Craig or someone said that they saw or heard of someone who's case actually came open and the camera fell out. That's an easy fix with by using a reusable zip tie around the entire body of the case, IMO. Or you could tape or put a piece of safety wire around the case also. But I agree, you'll eventually get screwed one way or another with these.

I'll see if I can get back over to Steve's to get some pictures of it mounted up. I still think it could be better but my goal is to keep it cheap. Cheap enough in fact that as the bikes come through tech and they can't show that their cameras are tethered well enough, for a couple dollars we can give them a kit to do it. I'm not looking to make money just help curb what suddenly has become a problem for Todd and us riders.