FREE sag session and Q&A for suspension at the Mid-O Sept events!

Moto-Brian

So, I guess I have to start my own deal to provide the OR group some free sag and suspension info. So, my thoughts are this - I AM OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS!

I was thinking that the Mid-O trackdays Sept 15, 17, and 18 would be a fun and great time to do this. Not only opening it up to the track day riders, but get your ass up there if you ride street and wanna get things checked out.

My thoughts were to do it there as many of you interested ride track. I think with race knowledge and real world track knowledge, I and a few of my buddies can assist you in getting your bike dialed as well as trying to assist on any questions you might have.

I will be talking to Mid-O as I am hopefully going to try an Intermediate classroom session for the I group and would like to incorporate some suspension lessons in that also.

I would like to also invite the street guys to come up and get your stuff checked also. You can come up and get a baseline set and try it out on your way back or something. While you are there, take in the track day and see what goes on at a track day as well as maybe look around and see if you might want to be a part of it for next year.

Overall, my goal is simple. Setting stuff like sag and a basic baseline shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg. I also think that starting out on something and getting to ride the bike first hand after the changes and seeing how that worked for you and make adjustments if need be is a service you can only get at the track. I don't want guys to get a baseline, ride home and then be stuck if it doesn't work.

So, street guys can go out and ride a bit in the scenic area of Mid-O and try it out and come back in and see if changes are needed.

I will try and get a few friends to assist that know how to do this type of thing and try and offer some suggestions and technical assistance.

The things you need to be able to provide:

-Suspension info. what spring rates front and rear if aftermarket.

-Special tools. I have the Penske and a couple of spanner wrenches. However, each bike tends to have a special tool they offer if stock. Ohlins is easy as pie, but some bikes with OEM shocks need a certain spanner size. Try and bring that.

-Notebook. You need to WRITE the things we do down. I will have some cool suspension sheets I can hand out, but you really need to make some notes.

Overall, the idea will be to hold a small session on suspension and offer free sag and baseline setup. I did three bikes the last Mid-O event and not sure how they all turned out, but one of the guys was amazed at how much better it was. Nothing special, but his clickers were all WAY off and the sag was crazy stiff. Nothing was working as it should.

Basically, it all depends on the interest. We have a couple of weeks. I will get with Mid-O and see what they think and see if I can do the "I" group classroom stuff. If I do that stuff, it will be limited when we can do suspension.

I won't have free tee shirts or decals, but hopefully, we can sort a few things out to make your track day go better and help you along with a baseline that will hopefully assist on getting you up to speed or help with your street machine...

Let me know what everyone thinks and we can plan accordingly. I will also accept anyone's help if they are going to be there.

I would love to ride the 15th and get in on this. If I don't ride I can probably stop out and give you a hand.

I would like to do something for that twilight as it would be the easiest time to do this. I would like to do something one of the two days at minimum on the Mon/Tues. All is based on work schedule.

I'd love to have you help out!

It's really basic. We just need to be able to get the bikes measured and follow a few ideas on sag and where to start based on the rider's ability and what class they ride. Mid-O can stand to allow for more pre-load than most tracks so, we need to take that into consideration.

I also know several riders run stock components and while we can adjust, we typically will be putting a band-aide on the bike as it will only be limited as to what we can accomplish. Like the guy at Mid-O the last time. He had too stiff a spring rate and even with the pre-load all the way out, we were still at 25 mm sag which I wanted to have more not only due to being able to adjust if need be, but the fact that I felt it was too stiff... Coyote can maybe chime in and speak as to what his thoughts were. I never got back over to him to check it out...

I also know several riders run stock components and while we can adjust, we typically will be putting a band-aide on the bike as it will only be limited as to what we can accomplish. Like the guy at Mid-O the last time. He had too stiff a spring rate and even with the pre-load all the way out, we were still at 25 mm sag which I wanted to have more not only due to being able to adjust if need be, but the fact that I felt it was too stiff... Coyote can maybe chime in and speak as to what his thoughts were. I never got back over to him to check it out...

I stopped over some time mid-afternoon, but it looked like you had packed it in.

Since the last time any of the settings were touched (3 years ago?) the forks' internals had been replaced/upgraded, the shock upgraded, and both myself and the bike have been lightened. Just hadn't been able to have the extra hands and knowledge all together at once to do anything about it. I had no idea how far off it was. Making just those adjustments definitely made a noticeable difference in handling...Of course, some bad habits became apparent where I was used to the stiff set-up. After getting past that it was great. If anyone hasn't gotten their baseline settings checked, definitely find a way to do it.

Will definitely cross w/ Reuben over the winter and talk springs.

don't sell the SV suspension short. with thicker oil and racetech emulators in the forks and a GSXR shock you can run with the middleweights no problem! emulators/oil are 120 bucks, and a used shock can be had on fleabay for less than 40! (sorry for the threadjack, Brian-- back to FREE sag session info!)

Kinda! The SV's suspension is crap from the factory. Yeah, it's adjustable but only to a better level of crap. I do love everything else about it though.

It's definitely worth setting up your sag and trying to get your stuff dialed in regardless of what you have on there.. I have all the stock stuff on my CBR600rr, only thing I did was throw stiffer springs in the forks to match my weight--and I'm running 39's on a good session at mid-o. I'm still trying to get used to 'feeling' what the suspension is doing but getting the rebound and compression dialed in last time really helped with gaining confidence with my front end last time out there.

I remember setting up the sag last summer when I was only riding the street and even then what difference it made--take advantage of this!

I would love too! But Idk if I can make it yet. I may ride a 14 but I rape it like a 600 at times, thanks to mid ohio many moons ago. If I can't though, a buddy and 2 others planned to get me set up, but I'd love Brian, who I never met, help me instead.

I have aftermarket rear shock that is so difficult for me too dial in too.

Edited by NinjaNick

I'm eyeballing the 17th. But my SV has stock suspension with emulators, but nothing else. If I can get my GSXR fork on and get a shock installed, I'll have more to do.

I'd like to bring my Tuono down and learn how to set it up, but I don't think I want to chance it on a track I haven't visited since early 08. I'll see how I feel.

don't sell the SV suspension short. with thicker oil and racetech emulators in the forks and a GSXR shock you can run with the middleweights no problem! emulators/oil are 120 bucks, and a used shock can be had on fleabay for less than 40! (sorry for the threadjack, Brian-- back to FREE sag session info!)

HECK NO!! It's a great place to discuss these things! My goal is to help the track day guys and even aggressive street guys in a quest for better tuned suspension. I don't have all the answers, but can probably get a guy really close to where they need to be in terms of baseline. From there, expert advice on such things like you are giving are welcome and above all, needed!

I'm eyeballing the 17th. But my SV has stock suspension with emulators, but nothing else. If I can get my GSXR fork on and get a shock installed, I'll have more to do.

I'd like to bring my Tuono down and learn how to set it up, but I don't think I want to chance it on a track I haven't visited since early 08. I'll see how I feel.

You and Nick should bring your stuff! Trust me, the way you set sag is very easy and something ANYONE can do. You just need two able bodies with one capable of reading a tape measure. Pretty simple.

I just want to show how easy it is, how quickly you can make changes and possibly guide someone to a better setup bike or at least plant the seed in someone's head that suspension is more critical than anything...

bchristy is dead on - setting sag is a baseline. The rebound and compression clickers are optimal in finding the sweet spot for YOU and how YOU ride.

You cannot set every single bike the same and expect them all to be perfect. I ride the front more than most so, I need a different setup in my forks. Some do not and wouldn't benefit from my settings. For example...

It's like riding style. There is a point where you can teach basics, but to tell someone they are doing it wrong may not be correct. Look at the top 5 in AMA and MotoGP... All different. There are starting points for everything. That's what I am trying to accomplish.

I am very interested in making it down, so if you think there is work that can be done then I am all for learning something that I need to know anyway.

I'm hoping to make Mid Ohio anyway this year, it's been a long time and I'm itching to get back. I'm going to put in for the day off which shouldn't be much trouble, once it's approved I'll be signing up. Going for suspension help is a huge bonus!

I have no friends but would actually love to do the work with guidance. More emphasis on the bound and rebound adjusters vs. the preload.

KTM needs put into sport mode. Duc suspenders paid a visit to 35motorsports but it would be good to see how they were setup once sitting on the bike.

15th looks good.

I am due to talk to the boys at Mid-O Sunday and sort some details and will have more info after.

But, essentially, we can work on ANYTHING you as a rider have questions over.

Understand that while I have raced for several years and been around some of the best suspension tuners around or notable, I don't have all the answers. As proof in my knuckleheaded ideas at VMD this year. But, I have learned some basics. I still rely heavily on guys like Reuben and ask stupid questions - stupid from a guy that has been doing this since 93-ish - all the time.

But, my target result is to one, make this something EVERY racer, track day rider and spirited street rider can do on their own. It isn't crazy scary and isn't black science in terms of what I want to discuss.

You are going to probably have questions that would be better answered by someone like Reuben and I will defer them to someone else as to not mislead anyone.

BUT, setting sag, understanding what rebound and compression do, how to adjust things, what to look for, etc can all be done easily by you as a rider. My goal is to get everyone comfortable with adjusting their own suspension. I've been doing this a LOOOOONG time and just do not feel that these simple things should be costly to you.

These are things that track day and racers need to get the basics on. You can learn more via videos of Dave Moss and others, but these will be basic ideas. Nothing deeper really. We may cover some wear that is common and even common with Mid-Ohio.

I am going to try and get a few guys to attend that have been racing AMA and such and can add to the conversation and the sessions. I want you to ask questions and get real world responses as myself and the other guys have been around Mid-O enough to know what issues you are probably having.

It's suspension. No different than the oil, tires, chain, etc that you maintain constantly on your bike.

Kinda! The SV's suspension is crap from the factory. Yeah, it's adjustable but only to a better level of crap. I do love everything else about it though.

I have a K9 GSX-R 750 front end (forks, bottom triple tree and OEM brakes) you might like to upgrade to. PM me if you're interested in more info...

KTM-Brian - - I'd love to catch up with you and pick your brain - 17th or 18th (jury is still out on that).

Edited by QCDragon