mc work table?

LJWalter

I built one from 2x4's, plywood and some legs made of square tubing and angle iron that is 12 years old and still going strong. I have had a lot of motorcycles on it over the years, everything from MX'ers to cruisers.

I'll get you a pic later if I get time.

I built one from 2x4's, plywood and some legs made of square tubing and angle iron that is 12 years old and still going strong. I have had a lot of motorcycles on it over the years, everything from MX'ers to cruisers.

I'll get you a pic later if I get time.

I am interested in this as well... Post them pics ;)

I built one a while back,

1 4x8 plywood (cut in half = 2 2x8)

6 4x4 18" (or whatever your desired height is)

some length of 2x4 for framing (~20')

wood screws

wood glue

I also had thin 3.5" wood that went along the length of the table to cover the side of the plywood.

783D0E4C-8FA7-4AB1-8E36-EA0463E76F23-7780-00000493618714EB.jpg

Yes, that's outside. PITA moving my heavy toolbox from the basement everytime I needed to wrench, I had no garage at my old place in cbus :/

Edited by RidersDiscount

I made this when i was building my 73 Honda. It was nice to use if your bike is totally stripped down to the frame. I could spin it around and easily push the whole bike into the corner when i wasnt working on it.

picture.php?albumid=896&pictureid=9873

Here is a pic with a frame i built for a different bike on it.

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=13521

I still need a bike lift for when i just want to service the bike.

I like the large table type benches, especially one with wheels but I made mine to be able to somewhat fold it up and put it out of the way.

Here it is standing up to be put away, in this position it takes up an area 4' wide x 2.5' deep x 8' tall.

0907121334.jpg

0907121334a.jpg

The rear legs fold so I put the end of the bench on a floor jack and use my ramp to shove the bike up on it, then I hook up the tie downs to hold the bike, then jack the bench up and lock the rear folders down with a piece of 1/2" all-thread going thru sections of pipe.

0907121347.jpg

0907121350.jpg

Here is how I made my front legs, I use the bungy cord to hold the straps so they don't fall out of the eyes while I push the bike up on. if I don't have an extra set of hands I hook a bungy in the rafters on the opposite side to hold the tie down up in the air so I can grab it and hook it up without going to the other side of the bike.

0907121350a.jpg

It sounds like a lot of hassle but it really isn't when you are limited to space and need all the help you can get when you are by yourself. If you don't have a welder or someone to weld the legs for you then this one isn't as good a choice as the ones with 4x4's for legs.

When I built this one all the material could be had from Lowe's and Farm Fleet for less than $50, probably double that now, I don't know.

With a couple clevis pins and another set of homemade hinges I could've made the front legs fold also and if I did it again I would have made the work surface at least ten inches wider on each sides but hey, it works as is. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Whipped one up outta some scrap I had lying around the shop;

IMG_1226.jpg

Left one end "open" so the ramp would slide into the slots...

IMG_1225.jpg

Lightweight and stands up in the corner when not being used...

IMG_1220.jpg

If I had to buy all of the steel, it'd add up to less than $100. Thing is stout and will hold a truck if needed. Or a fat assed harley.:wtf: