Integrated Turn Signal and Endorsement Test

Offbyone

I have 05 CBR 1000 with an Integrated turn signal/tail light. I want to go take my endorsement test but I know the integrated turn signals are not "legal". Has anyone actually be denied/allowed to take the test because of/with integrated turn signals? Let me know if anyone has an experience with it. Thanks!

Worst they can do is not test you, send you home. Like I said, depends a lit on the sheriff, just like if you get popped for speeding, some will let you off with a polite warning, some throw the book at you. Depends on which side the tampon string is hanging towards I guess.

Worst they can do is not test you, send you home. Like I said, depends a lit on the sheriff, just like if you get popped for speeding, some will let you off with a polite warning, some throw the book at you. Depends on which side the tampon string is hanging towards I guess.

Also depends on how easy it is to revert to a legal configuration versus the impact of failing. If it's gonna take a couple of hours to switch back and he doesn't mind waiting for a retest then heck, roll the dice. If it will take 5 minutes to correct and a failed test will have a significant impact then just fix it.

I'm sure it's somewhere in the middle for both, so it's a judgement call.

If it makes a difference, my lights were checked by the BMW examiner when I did my driver's test in '97. And it was a pitifully simple test because the examiner knew I was just converting UK license to a US license so she knew I could drive. Did the cones then just drove around the block. Took 2 minutes and done. Still checked my lights even with the abbreviated test.

Flush mounts are usually illegal due to the distance between them, I think it has to be a minimum of 9" apart, and I THINK that's the reason the integrated rears are illegal as well.

Edit:

The ninja 250's in other countries have amber lenses immediately to the sides of the tail lights for turn signals, and the housing is molded for sockets. For the US market they don't drill the holes, and they use red lenses in that location with no illumination. The center to center measurement for the outer lenses is just shy of the minimum distance (something like 1/4"!) A popular mod for these bike is to buy amber lenses and drill out the holes to install sockets in that location, putting the turn signals in that location. I did this on my bike, and it looks much better!

Edited by jporter12

Edit:

The ninja 250's in other countries have amber lenses immediately to the sides of the tail lights for turn signals, and the housing is molded for sockets. For the US market they don't drill the holes, and they use red lenses in that location with no illumination. The center to center measurement for the outer lenses is just shy of the minimum distance (something like 1/4"!) A popular mod for these bike is to buy amber lenses and drill out the holes to install sockets in that location, putting the turn signals in that location. I did this on my bike, and it looks much better!

:ttiwwop:

I had not problems at all at Hilliard, went there and they checked my Horn, lights and blinkers, I have integrated blinkers in my tail and they never said a word. I will say you should practice your test, its a little more difficult than you think on a sportbike, mainly the u turn in my opinion.

Flush mounts are usually illegal due to the distance between them, I think it has to be a minimum of 9" apart, and I THINK that's the reason the integrated rears are illegal as well.

I thought it was something like 6" from the brake light.

Deputy in New Phila wouldn't pass a guy's bike for his turn signals so he wasn't allowed to take the test. Everything passed on mine and when he asked if I had any questions at the end of the test I asked him if the guy with the failed bike could take the test on mine. He got a little pissy about it but said he could, I offered the guy my bike and he passed his test by 1 point, I didn't see one thing he did wrong so I think it was a show of power from the deputy.

• Upvote 1

I thought it was something like 6" from the brake light.

I'm pretty sure that 9 inches center to center was the spec. I can't remember where I even found it listed, I think it might be a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard specification, not specified on the Ohio Revised Code. I looker through the ORC and found nothing, so it must have been the FMVSS.

I doubt that many LEO's know the spec, or even care to know it.

I would just put the stock signals back on if you have them. I know the hardest part about the driving test for me was finding the time in my schedule to fit in with their limited schedule. Nothing worse than getting their and not being able to take the test for something stupid like signals.