Am I going to hate my life?

Bankerdude

Over the winter my plan is to change up the baywatch feel of my bike by powder coating frame and wheels black, and having the plastics painted a flat lime green. Should I pay someone to disassemble for powder coating or should I just commit to doing it on my own?

Do it yourself. Advance your knowledge about the workings of your bike. It can help if you label everything and even take detailed pictures upon disassembly that way later down the road if you don't remember how it goes back you have a frame of reference. I saw a tip of putting corn starch in paint to get it a flat look also.

+1 on this. Everything I've ever learned, I've learned by getting my hands dirty. Just take your time, take a lot of pictures and use baggies, tape, zip ties, etc to keep everything in order. I'd think your biggest challenge is getting it back together after all the work is done!

I just did a mini resto on my VTX. It's been apart for near 2 years. Good lord it is painful and worth it. Take lots and lots and lots of pics. Masking tape to ID locations of wires is a must. If you have a service manual that will help a bundle too.

Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys I think I will end up doing it just wanted to make sure I wasnt getting in over my head!..

Get the factory shop manual so you know what to torque everything to when you re-assemble. I say jump into it and learn about your bike.

I've got a shoe box lid covered in inside out rolls of duct tape. And over 60 fasteners for all my plastics... Arranged and labeled by part.

Unscrew, stick to tape. Unscrew, stick to tape. Part falls off, name it, and write it near the fasteners you just pulled.

^ that's what I'd do. In the long run, a nice clean older bike will sell much easier than an old bike redone to look new. Besides, custom paint means its been wrecked .. right ?

I agree with the nice clean older bike statement but not all custom paint jobs means the bike has been wrecked.

I'm with wacky_woodchuck its not the 90s anymore and it will just look sweet... I like the older bikes for the size, but like the newer bikes for there style if I can make mine like that why not... plus if someone thinks its been wrecked and dont want to buy it then thats on them since its not for sale anyway

I'm with wacky_woodchuck its not the 90s anymore and it will just look sweet...

I saw a 92 ZX7 that somebody blacked out the frame,swing arm forks a and rims. He also painted all the bodywork the early 90's Kawi lime green. I think the bike looked like pure sex.

I also saw this on another forum:

http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-9r-forum/47317-my-1995-zx9r-build.html

I think it turned out beautiful as well. Forgive me if I offended anyone for posting a link to another forum.

Bottom line is that it's your bike. Do what you want.