Ever had a false neutral?

natedogg624

I am curious if clicking up on the shifter would have been better than going off the track.

It's always best to go up a gear and stay on track, but I'm guessing without the engine-braking Nathan was expecting, his entry speed was considerably hotter than he was comfortable with.

It's hard to not panic and ride it out. I've gone through T1 at BeaveRun in 4th gear because of the same thing though.

My F2 was notorious for finding false neutrals under acceleration. Never on down-shifts thankfully.

I never get those' date=' but I'm also the best motorcycle rider I know.

Just watched the vid. Nice save. Did you not know what was happening? I am asking because I am curious if clicking up on the shifter would have been better than going off the track.[/quote']

I've briefly read about them but never experienced them so I had no idea what was going on. In all honesty I thought something in the trans was broken at first. When I came to a stop and it was still running without any horrendous noise and I could engage the shifter, I realized what had happened but was buried deep into the gravel trap.

It's always best to go up a gear and stay on track, but I'm guessing without the engine-braking Nathan was expecting, his entry speed was considerably hotter than he was comfortable with.

It's hard to not panic and ride it out. I've gone through T1 at BeaveRun in 4th gear because of the same thing though.

My F2 was notorious for finding false neutrals under acceleration. Never on down-shifts thankfully.

Having no engine braking was definitely a bit hairy.

The other moment I had was this massive tank slapper coming onto the front straight -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4UmmH0pO-Q

For those two moments to be the worst of it, overall a good day with setting a personal best time at that track.

Also I'm curious how the novice on the repsol honda in the bus stop got onto the track with the advanced group.

Edited by natedogg624

False neutrals can be from a few things. Tender foot as noted. Can be due to a shifter not in the right angle for your foot movements and personal settings. It can also be worn shifter forks. Doubt that, though.

In my personal opinion and do not take this wrong - you need to get a lot smoother on your shifting transitions. They are fairly harsh and a lot of times, rushing the shifting can cause you to mis shift or get it in between gears. Pull the clutch - DO NOT TRY AND FORCE THE SHIFT - and use the brakes to slow down and get it into the gear you need.

It's something we tend to run into at times. The RC8 is notorious for them...

I cured my false neutrals by not using the clutch for up shifting into 5th, and 6th. It's weird because those are the only two gears that I've had the problem.

Thats a shifter position problem. Move the shifter on the shaft and that will be cured

I had Reuben put one in my bike last winter as I was having a lot of issues with the cbr not returning the shift lever to the neutral position. It works a LOT better, but takes some getting use too has the detent spring is a lot stiffer. Its also almost impossible to get into neutral without using your hands, as the neutral point is very small on the star.

Would I turn 8 clockwise or counterclockwise?

I'd have to see in person, but you will see the shifter move up or down easily. Just make SURE you have enough threads in the collar. Don't leave a small amount of threads as it can break apart. If you run into that situation, take #17 out and pull #2 off (I would suggest taking a sharpie marker and making a straight line through #2 and the shaft it pulls off of for reference as to how much you turned it) and turn it down 1-2 notches. That will allow you to have enough threads if needed... You should be totally fine to make small adjustments without worry.

I would also suggest silicone on the locking nuts and the collar to avoid the nuts loosening and loss of a shift linkage...

My 9 is apparently notorious for this :dunno:

Had it happen a few time so I adjusted the linkage down so it was easier to give it all the travel it needs without jerking my leg up. It has helped noticeably but still happens just not as frequently as it did.

natedogg, I was at Grattan this weekend too.

I don't think I've seen so many red flags in one day. The "I" group had only 2 full sessions on Sat. The others were doubtfully more than 10 minutes.

Same, just when you get a good run together a red was shown it seemed.

Where did you pit and were you running I group? That looked like a major clusterf* all day.

Yeah, in "I". I was pitted down below in the first strip against those wooden retaining walls. The weird thing was that in general Ive seen worse days where you have people breaking the 6ft rule all day long. But Sat the riders were not that bad and the track was pretty good after the second session. Don't get it.