How deep can I go?

RSparky

Ok, out of the gutter now...

We moved, and I don't have room to bring the bike in at night anymore. Eventually, I'll have to store it at my dad's. I can ride into the 30s in the morning and night but I don't know when it's unsafe to let the bike sit in freezing temperatures.

So how deep into freezing can it sit in the parking lot?

Ok, out of the gutter now...

We moved, and I don't have room to bring the bike in at night anymore. Eventually, I'll have to store it at my dad's. I can ride into the 30s in the morning and night but I don't know when it's unsafe to let the bike sit in freezing temperatures.

So how deep into freezing can it sit in the parking lot?

usually until someone steals it.

As long as your coolant has an anti-freeze you should be fine. I wouldn't recommend leaving it out all winter because of the salt blowing in off the street, it will eat up any exposed rubber seals and is generally just bad for the bike. Can you afford a storage unit for a few months?

i don't need a storage, i just don't want to store it! lol!

when it gets too cold, i'll bring it over to my dad's garage. but until then, i was just making sure it wouldn't crack the engine block from the hot cold transition or whatever. i do have antifreeze, 50/50 i believe. so, yay.

And, no ninjadoc, not lucky, just insane. my car is still out of commission so i'm preparing for hell...

I think the minimum safe temp for the antifreeze at 50/50 is -20 but don't know what the min is for battery fluid. I've had the KLR out at -10 with wind chill. All I can say is be careful as those temps will strip the heat off you so fast your feet can go numb making it hard to stop and know your feet are down. Ask me how I know.:)

Oh, I'm not doing -20. but I do have warm gear, and heated grips now. Which the grips rock. Rode home last night in the rain, and was comfortable! My knees got a little chilly, but I didn't have on my warm pants.

Funny thing is, the past two years, I brought the bike into the house on freezing nights, telling ever fiance I had to! I could try to get away with it here, but it would be a pain in the ass.

I went from living in my house with a garage to living in an apartment. Damn you landlords who dont pay your mortgage's! i set it up with my wifes cousin to let me utilize a small corner of his heated garage for a few months, as payment i have to help him install some insulation in his attic.

nice. my dad stores like 8 bikes over winter for riders at his church. i do have a tender though. should i just put it on, just in case, once a week or something?

if lithium didn't do so crappy in the cold, i'd consider one of the fancy newfangled nerdology batteries.

i think with a tender, you just put it on and leave it till your ready to use it again. It keeps the battery at the level its supposed to hole.

Yes, just hook it up and leave it on until you get the bike back out next year. Battery Tenders maintain the battery's full charge and the manual also states it varies the output to constantly keep the V's/A's at optimal level. Some smart chargers will actually put a small load on the battery to keep the charge memory tiptop too.

Do your last oil change and run it a bit just before you put the bike up, so the engine internals aren't sitting in an acid bath all winter.....then come next Spring, unplug it, check tire pressure, hop on and go!

Whats a tender some of you would recommend? Ive been looking around at them. My dad swears by the one he bought at Auto Zone, but im not a fan of Auto Zones crap second hand products. Ive been looking at one of the Delran Battery Tenders. They seem to get good feedback and have a decent price.

We use Delran Tenders and I've got a switchable 2/10 amp Schumacher if it needs a big jolt. I got us waterproof tenders for the bikes out in the garage. They work just fine and there's a plethra of accessories that use the standard harness plug so once its wired for the charger, you can patch in most anything on the bike.....gps, phone charger, etc

I bought a crap trickle from Walmart years ago for a kart starter box that I put my motorcycle batteries on for the winter. Never had to buy a motorcycle battery so I guess it's good enough. Of course they may have been fine just sitting for all I know.