I cant get a spark! HELP

Jet Morgan

Bike- 79 Suzuki GS750

The bikes elec start never worked well so I would kick start it. I rode it twice and decided to mod it to a cafe style, removed old gauges and replacing with minis were the only elec mod done. I get it all put back together, go to start it (kick) and end up flooding the plugs. I pull them out dry them clean them and put them back. My elec start would at least click when i pushed the button, now...nothing. I have traced the wires back from the kill switch and starter buttton and cleaned the leads to them. Everything is connected propperly. I have also replace the starter solenoid (brand new) and still elec start wont click. Besides that the kick will compress but no spark from the plugs. They are practicly new. But i have yet to try replacing them. I now have a sweet looking cafe racer that wont start. Help me please.

1) Get a multimeter. Best $20 you'll ever spend. If you have one, proceed to step 2.

2) Hook multimeter to the positive starter lead and ground. Hit starter button. If you have good voltage there, you're starter is the culprit (although not necessarily bad).

3) No voltage there, test it at the switch. Here you're looking for a decided change in resistance when the button is pushed. Some switches will be hot all the time and open when you push the button, some will be closed and go hot when you push the button. Bottom line, resistance should change when the button is pushed. If you don't have a change, the button is the culprit (although not necessarily bad).

4) If button checks good, but no voltage at starter, start chasing the wiring. There's a break in continuity somewhere. On a bike of that age, it's likely a bad ground where the wire connector has encountered rust, gunk, or otherwise.

You can also remove the starter (if it's easy to get to, most I've worked with are just 2 or 3 bolts) and "bench test" it. Hook the positive to a positive battery terminal and momentarily ground the starter to a wire connected to the negative terminal. Just be aware the starter will jump pretty good when you do this. Best to do in a vice or wile being otherwise restrained.

Make sure your battery is fully charged, of course. Also make sure there are no additional kill switches anywhere. I had a "you're a dumbass" moment with my VTR where I spent several hours trying to figure out why the thing would die if I put it into gear (even with the clutch engaged) before I realized I had the kickstand down. I doubt your older bike would be that elaborate, but shucks, you never know. Check kickstand, clutch, etc. to make sure there's no more switches that could be bad. Hope this helps!

so you're sure it's not getting spark? or it just isn't starting?

have you tried pulling the spark plugs out, plugging them into the boots, and grounding them against the head while you kick it over?

if you're getting a good hot spark that way, then you are probably either looking at timing or compression being the culprit.

Have have pulled them out and grounded them, kicked it, no spark, but they have sparked before the rebild. why would them not spark now? if i replace them now and they work, will they not spark next spring? it just seams weird. But then i go back to the no clicking of the starter or solenoid. Are there any moblle mechanics in the columbus are you know of?

Have have pulled them out and grounded them, kicked it, no spark, but they have sparked before the rebild. why would them not spark now? if i replace them now and they work, will they not spark next spring? it just seams weird. But then i go back to the no clicking of the starter or solenoid. Are there any moblle mechanics in the columbus are you know of?

Where in C-bus are you? I'll look at it for you. Can't promise we'll fix it, but two heads are better than one, right?

Check your kill switch with the meter. It should be open when off and show closure when on run. Check keyswitch the same way. There will be no power on either. You are looking for open/closed circut.

he's getting power, just not spark...