Tech question.

JackFlash

I connected a power hookup to my GS 500F. It has three cigarette lighter type sockets and two USB type connections. My intent was to have a way to charge my cell phone. The USB connections will work nicely for that.

My question here is, I have an inverter with two 110 VAC sockets, just like a wall outlet. It's my wish to also be able to charge my video camera battery. It's charger plugs into the wall. The inverter plugs into a cigarette lighter.

Am I going to have a problem or fry any electronics or electricals if I plug the inverter into my power hookup and try to charge my camera battery while I'm riding?

your better off trying to find an adapter for the camcorder to plug into USB or Cig lighter

the inverter may draw to much power.

that will be your big issue, i dont know the power output on the GS 500F but there is a limit you wont want to exceed or youll kill some components on the bike.

do some research and find out what the safe draw from the bike you can take, then go from there.

you can beef up the system buy getting a higher output stator though.

Ryan would know as well as anyone on here, but it seems to me that the power requirements for a 110w inverter would be quite a bit more than the capacity of the charging system on any bike, let alone a GS500. I'm sure they've improved a bit, but most of the bikes I worked on (1970s and 1980s) has charging systems barely capable of charging the battery and powering a headlamp simultaneously.

If it is an action camera that you use to capture rides, buy a couple extra batteries and forget about charging while riding. Nice thing about extra batteries, no worry about charging, instant switch out so the filming is pretty much continuous, and you can loan the batteries out if someone else has the same style camera. Knock off gopro batteries are 2 for $20 on amazon.....probably even cheaper on ebay.

If it is an action camera that you use to capture rides, buy a couple extra batteries and forget about charging while riding. Nice thing about extra batteries, no worry about charging, instant switch out so the filming is pretty much continuous, and you can loan the batteries out if someone else has the same style camera. Knock off gopro batteries are 2 for $20 on amazon.....probably even cheaper on ebay.

This

Going from AC (stator) to DC (rectifier) to AC (inverter) to DC (transformer) seems a bit.....fucking retarded if you don't mind my saying. You need to.figure the combined amperage of what's already drawing on the system, add that to all the crap you want to plug into it and see if your main fuse is rated that high. Keep in mind you're not putting out full power between idle and 3k or so, and that your system is designed to keep the battery full and run a few lights and spark plugs.

How many accessories are on your rifle btw?

looking up GS500 stator output.... the engine and lights will use up almost all available output. Couple of amps left over. Just not enough to do much with.

I always guess 240 watts (20amps) to run the bike, on the safe side.

One interwebz source even says GS500 output is only 200watts@5000rpm.

edit: And I just buy a lot of rechargeable batteries... I like Hoblick's idea of a direct DC to DC adapter for the camera. That would work well.

Going from AC (stator) to DC (rectifier) to AC (inverter) to DC (transformer) seems a bit.....fucking retarded if you don't mind my saying. You need to.figure the combined amperage of what's already drawing on the system, add that to all the crap you want to plug into it and see if your main fuse is rated that high. Keep in mind you're not putting out full power between idle and 3k or so, and that your system is designed to keep the battery full and run a few lights and spark plugs.

How many accessories are on your rifle btw?

I guess the cloaking devise is out along with the photon torpedos. I haven't added anything. I just want to charge my phone.