How far have you travelled for work?

2fat2fly

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can swing it, definitely go. I've never been to a place that was more beautiful, and I think about going back almost every day. I want to rent a BMW GS and ride from the North to the South island and back over the course of a couple of weeks someday.

I quoted it out for Brisbane, renting a bike and associated gear is something along the lines of AUS$350 per day. Pretty spicy if you ask me.

Currently Toronto Candada, but I am going to Zurich Switzerland for work soon. This is actually an interesting topic. We have a guy that spent 72 days here from Switzerland recently and now he is back. There are restrictions about how long he can stay, 90 days at a time, and if he is here more than 180 days in a year then he has to pay american taxes. We also have a guy that moved here indefinitely from Germany, watching him deal with anything that requires credit is also very interesting.

Currently Toronto Candada, but I am going to Zurich Switzerland for work soon. This is actually an interesting topic. We have a guy that spent 72 days here from Switzerland recently and now he is back. There are restrictions about how long he can stay, 90 days at a time, and if he is here more than 180 days in a year then he has to pay american taxes. We also have a guy that moved here indefinitely from Germany, watching him deal with anything that requires credit is also very interesting.

Those issues go away once they are citizens!!!

Something doesnt see right.

Those issues go away once they are citizens!!!

Something doesnt see right.

We had a Director at my old gig who was here from England, he said he originally came in as a H1B. Not sure if he ever got his green card or not, but I do know they bounced him around the US a while. As long as your employed by your sponsor company, I think you're OK.

Travel for work, I have been to Indianapolis, Washington D.C., Reynosa Mexico 2 times, I think (stayed in McAllen Tx, drove across in the morning,) Valencia California 3 or 4 times, got paid to sightsee for a day or 2 out there, Ballina Ireland twice, once for 2 weeks, and one week the other time. Then I started bending wrenches and haven't traveled any for work since.

My longest commute was probably when I was working for the company that sent me traveling and working bending wrenches at night, I would drive Newark to Whitehall, to Johnstown, back to Newark. That was for a couple years.

My longest would be from Detroit into Amsterdam and then drove 3 hours to Monschau, Germany. In the states, Baltimore is probably the farthest. I have a feeling Shanghai will be in my future.

I travel to Wixom or Auburn Hills Michigan about once or twice a week to our other offices. Furthest drive was to Harrisburg, PA which was about 9 hours.

Edited by tyler524

I WAS in the Navy, so i can always count a Med cruise.

Nowadays, I'm a field tech for a point-of-sale install & service company, so I drive, on average, 3,000 miles a month. I can post my mileage log to prove it :(

I did one Med Cruise and one Med\Arabian Gulf Cruise.

I WAS in the Navy, so i can always count a Med cruise.

Nowadays, I'm a field tech for a point-of-sale install & service company, so I drive, on average, 3,000 miles a month. I can post my mileage log to prove it :(

At least you get to go places, I average 5,000 miles just getting to the office and back :(

My longest would be from Detroit into Amsterdam and then drove 3 hours to Monschau, Germany. In the states, Baltimore is probably the farthest. I have a feeling Shanghai will be in my future.

I travel to Wixom or Auburn Hills Michigan about once or twice a week to our other offices. Furthest drive was to Harrisburg, PA which was about 9 hours.

Make sure you read up on all the street scams in Shanghai before you go. I was hit up twice in the span of 50 yards with 2 different variations of the "Chinese Tea Ceremony" scam.

Definitely hit up the Yu Market, that place is just bonkers. If you're anywhere near Hongqiao, hit up the Hongqiao Entertainment District and the copy shop (3 floors of reasonable quality knockoff goods) The Entertainment District has a couple of good Western bars, and you absolutely HAVE to go to Bubba's BBQ in Hongqiao. This Texas ex-pat opened it after he married and settled down in China. All his meat is smoked onsite, sauces made onsite and it's AWESOME. Do all the normal touristy stuff too (Oriental Pearl, World Financial Centre, the Bund, Shanghai History Museum) Be prepared to not know exactly what it is that you're eating and to pick from picture menus. Even though it is tempting, resist the urge to go to McDonalds, most of my group got sick at one time or another and I think we can trace at least some of it back to McD's.