GSXR with a starting problem

2thDr

(Bike is an 07, gsxr 600 with 5900 miles. It has been in a low side. Appeared cosmetic. Bike started and test rode fine on the day of purchase...)

Bike is fairly new to me (had it about a week). I've been riding it everyday back and forth to school. Pretty easy riding, nothing above 7K rpm. Started up fine, everytime. Even on these cold mornings, somewhere around 35 degrees.

So I let my room mate ride it on thursday night. He's got an R6, knows how to ride, so I wasn't concerned. Well, he put it through the paces. He was all the way up towards redline, and I saw him trying to power wheelie it infront of my apartment. Parked it in the garage and all seemed fine.

I went to start it Friday morning, and it wouldn't start. Tried to turn over, but wouldn't hold. Saturday I pulled the plugs, and cleaned them, but it's still the same. This mornings, I put in brand new plugs, and it started for around 10 seconds, and then bogged and shut off. Old plugs seemed saturdated with oil. White smoke comes out of the exhaust, whenever I can get it to start.

Put it in dealer mode, and it's not throwing any codes (reads -C00)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...52171810325537 (here's a crappy video that my friend took)

I've got a picture of the plugs, but it's simple.... they are dark and wet with oil. ha Bike has fresh oil, and fresh gas, and fresh plugs

Any thoughts?

This is why you don't let people use your stuff. Especially with no supervision. Sounds like your buddy owes you a engine rebuild.

Since it ran for ten sec and died, and the plugs are coated in oil, I'd lean away from blaming spark or fuel. Oil and electrodes don't really get along well.

Could have washed out the rings..

Do a compression test. If that turns out fine (Unlikely), I'd do a leakdown next.

This is why you don't let people use your stuff. Especially with no supervision. Sounds like your buddy owes you a engine rebuild.

Since it ran for ten sec and died, and the plugs are coated in oil, I'd lean away from blaming spark or fuel. Oil and electrodes don't really get along well.

Could have washed out the rings..

Do a compression test. If that turns out fine (Unlikely), I'd do a leakdown next.

That's my guess. If it is smoking white it is burning something extra. Oil or antifreeze. Rings or head gasket.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Battery should be fine. It's not a lugging problem. But just to make sure, I will take the battery out of my track bike and try it.

Can't comment on the coolant. I was going to do a flush but then this problem started. The reserve bottle is empty though.

These motors are HARD to kill!!! Wonder if there was/is coolant in it at all?

That's a good question. Easy lay over could have drained all the fluid somehow. Overheated it from low fluids and toasted the rings maybe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Put the battery back in (wasn't done charging). It started, but dies after.... say 20 seconds. Exhaust has the smell of unburt, or excess fuel. Tried to give it a quick rev, and the light got brighter, but faded fast. Certainly does seem like a charging issue.

Why would it come on so quickly though? There was no preemptive problems. The thing started like a champ before.

Hopefully this solves your problem.

But if the plugs are really coated in oil, that shows a seal problem.

If they are coated in fuel, that is to be expected with a poor spark.

If the charged battery gets the bike running again, check the plugs after and make sure they are dry. No white or black electrodes is good too.

Also test the charging system once you get the bike running to make sure that is good since gixxie pointed out that these systems are weak.

It started right up. Won't stay on long though. I got it so it will stay on if I hold it at a revved position. I need another set of hand though to hold the volt meter. I will try again later when I get some help.

The exhaust was wet on the inside, and was smoking something fierce, white smoke.

Alright. Bike is running at a cool 12.9 just sitting and at around 14.2 while up to 5K rpm.

It will shut off if I let off the throttle. One of the cylinders isn't firing. Smells of unburn fuel.

Gotta be valves, or some shit ya?