GSXR with a starting problem

2thDr

compression is probably fine. Could have a bad coil. Check all injector plugs. have u personally filled the tank with fresh fuel recently? Thats my next guess is bad fuel.

Filled the tank up last friday. Had around 30 miles on it.

I was thinking that. I gotta go buy a compression tester kit thing. I've never had to do that.

You can probably use one for free from a local parts store with a deposit. No need in buying one just for troubleshooting this.

What does the smoke smell like other than gas? Burning coolant has a pretty distinct aroma. How do you know one cyl isn't firing? Check the pipes for heat? If you can confirm a dead cyl, swap the plug wire from its mate, 1 to 4 or 2 to 3. If the problem follows the plug wire its a bad coil, if it doesn't I would check the injector. Aside from that you may have an issue with rings or maybe a bent valve, only a compression and leak down test will confirm that.

You can probably use one for free from a local parts store with a deposit. No need in buying one just for troubleshooting this.
I will check into this when I go and try and find one.
Does it have a power commander? If so' date=' remove it and see how it runs.[/quote'] No power commander. Just a slipon with the stock ecu
What does the smoke smell like other than gas? Burning coolant has a pretty distinct aroma. How do you know one cyl isn't firing? Check the pipes for heat? If you can confirm a dead cyl, swap the plug wire from its mate, 1 to 4 or 2 to 3. If the problem follows the plug wire its a bad coil, if it doesn't I would check the injector. Aside from that you may have an issue with rings or maybe a bent valve, only a compression and leak down test will confirm that.
The exhaust smells like unburnt fuel. It doesn't really smell sweet or anything like that. More straight burning. I can tell it's missing a cylinder because of the sound it's making. I had it happen on my old cbr, and it sounds just like that. I'm not sure what cylinder is actually causing the problem, but I'm going to pull the plugs tomorrow and try and do a compression test while I'm at it. I'm also going to check the ignition coils like the PREZ said. seems like this is all stuff that I can do at once to try and narrow stuff down.

Yeah. I just went and bought a compression tester tonight.

Took out the plugs, all of them had a little bit of oil on the tips, but the first and last plugs (looking at them from left to right while standing in from of the bike) had more oil than the others.

So I compression tested the first cylinder (far left while standing in front of the bike) and it read 165psi. Not bad, condering it was a cold test.

Then as I'm unscrewing the hose, the adapter stayed in my spark plug hole, while the hose came out. So I'm kind of stuck trying to figure out how to get that out now, but either way, the compression it that one cylinder wasn't too bad. haha

Did you let Craig touch that bike at any time previously?

:D

Ha

If 1 & 4 have dirty plugs I would guess that coil is cooked...if they share one. Are you sure its oil? Soot and gas mixed looks a lot like oil.

I mean, I'm pretty sure. Either way, somthing is causing it to foul right? They were covered enough that it was coming off on my fingers when I touched the threads.

engine failure don't happen with the engine off and sitting over night. lol

you got something else going on besides the motor.

That sounds ominous....

Ok. Got the adapter out. Retested all of the cylinders.

This was on a cold start.

From left to right while standing infront of the bike.

164, 155, 155, 148.

What do you think?

I'm going to put the spark plugs and stuff back in tomorrow and see if it will run. It's it's a stator or regulator or something... how do I test that?

Ok. Got the adapter out. Retested all of the cylinders.

This was on a cold start.

From left to right while standing infront of the bike.

164, 155, 155, 148.

What do you think?

I'm going to put the spark plugs and stuff back in tomorrow and see if it will run. It's it's a stator or regulator or something... how do I test that?

Compression within 10% of each other is good.

Smell the plugs to make sure it is actually oil. Sounds a lot like carbon soaked fuel. Hence the ignition problem everyone is pointing to.