GSXR with a starting problem

2thDr

if u want call me. 513-321-2087 anytime after 10am. Its brandon.

I appreciate that.

Compression within 10% of each other is good.

Smell the plugs to make sure it is actually oil. Sounds a lot like carbon soaked fuel. Hence the ignition problem everyone is pointing to.

But if you want to meter it:

1. Charge the battery

2. Pull the wires

3. Measure between the wire connectors (Ohmmeter)

4. I don't know the resistance for sure. Should be ~5kohms-14kohms

So we are talking abou the ignition coils now correct?

I'm just glad it's not rings or valves. That stuff is expensive. ha

So we are talking abou the ignition coils now correct?

Yes. Just pull the coil and meter the resistance.

I'm just glad it's not rings or valves. That stuff is expensive. ha

New set of coils will prolly cost more than rings. Way less labor though. Valves would be expensive.

Okay, it's apparent that a service manual is needed by the Dr.

So, here's the pages dealing with ignition as well as the rectifier/charging system troubleshooting.

GSXR600 Manual Pages for the Dr.

:D

I have one. ha This is just a way for me to make friends :banana: Plus this is way better for getting different ideas.

Still think its a fuel problem! I would drain and replace. if there was water in the tank b4 and u filled it up and only has 30miles on tank that means you are pumping water along with fuel = white smoke and cyl's not firing.

I will try it tonight. Midterms are over for me, so I can play with this bike tonight.

Still think its a fuel problem! I would drain and replace. if there was water in the tank b4 and u filled it up and only has 30miles on tank that means you are pumping water along with fuel = white smoke and cyl's not firing.

I definitely don't disagree with this. However he likely has fouled the plugs at this point too...

Metering the coil is quick and eliminates a potential problem though.

The first thing you need to do is---FIGURE OUT WHAT THAT WETNESS IS!! I t sure isn't honeymoon taco lube. Then you can figure out what direction to go. If there is as much as you say take all the plugs out and crank it over. I'm sure you will get spewage. Just make sure your plug wires don't arc out if it is gas. That is unless you have a camera rolling for that YouTube moment. Like big fire.then you will see which taco hole is the luber. When it starts and it starts to smoke like right now--proly not antifreeze. It don't burn. It makes steam. Excess fuel on the other hand makes black smoke.

Edited by Al Z. Heimer

I have one. ha This is just a way for me to make friends :banana: Plus this is way better for getting different ideas.

I will try it tonight. Midterms are over for me, so I can play with this bike tonight.

Well screw you, Dr! I think Craig has rubbed off on you....more than once. And Jinu too.

:D

Took Brandon's advice. I did a little tricky-do and got the fuel pump to drain out all of the fuel without removing the tank.

Filled it up with fresh 93.

It fired up and stayed on! Bogged a little bit, I'm assuming just because of the left over poop gas. It stayed on all the way until 150 degrees. I revved it a tad, it shot out some flames and shut off. Started right back up and was fine. revved great. sounded great. I haven't gotten a chance to ride it just yet as I have all the fairings and lights off, but I will try and get it back togethor by monday.

Thanks again everyone for your help. I really appreciate it!!!:bikeday:

Took Brandon's advice. I did a little tricky-do and got the fuel pump to drain out all of the fuel without removing the tank.

Filled it up with fresh 93.

It fired up and stayed on! Bogged a little bit, I'm assuming just because of the left over poop gas. It stayed on all the way until 150 degrees. I revved it a tad, it shot out some flames and shut off. Started right back up and was fine. revved great. sounded great. I haven't gotten a chance to ride it just yet as I have all the fairings and lights off, but I will try and get it back togethor by monday.

Thanks again everyone for your help. I really appreciate it!!!:bikeday:

right on. it's easy to jump to so many conclusions without having some experience. now you're one more step closer to being a master mechanic.

even the guys that come out of tech school struggle with troubleshooting. it's just something only experience can teach.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Got the bike painted and it's been running fine. Filled it up again on sunday when it was warm and took her for a spin. Rode all week into school and back. Yes it was cold, but I don't care. Public transportation blows.

Anways.... Went to start it today and it was doing the same thing as before. It would start and die. Then it would only start if I had the gas open, and once it's released it would die. Is it conceivable that I have gotten "bad gas" twice? Or is something else going on here? Am I accumulating moisture in my tank somehow? Happened both times after I filled up my tank, then rode for a few days.

the scanner you checked for codes with, does it all show live data? such as coolant temp, maf, etc? there are 3 basic things that make a engine run - compression, spark, and fuel. there are multiple things that can spawn off each one of those, but judging by the flame shot out of the exhaust it sounds like your engine is getting flooded, whether it be poor spark or too much fuel. your coolant sensor plays a large part in fuel. lets say the lowest is can read is -44 degrees, and its stuck or shorted, or even an air pocket in the coolant, your computer will see that and just load those cylinders with fuel. if you have a crank sensor starting to go bad, then its incorrectly reading rpms, then it may lack spark as to where your cam sensor does most of the work controlling the fuel. so there are a lot of things that could be causing this, i think you need to get a scanner that can read live data, and start ruling out the basics.

EDIT:: how far is your ride? does your bike stay in a heated garage or does it get as cold as the outside? if your rides only 5 minutes from your house, it could be condensation easily.. your bikes cold as a mother and your ride only produces the engine temp up to 120 lets say, and then it says for a couple hours while your doing what your doing, that could easily cause condensation in the crank case, cylinders, and the tank.

and +1 for another rider thats not afraid of the cold.

Edited by bshultz0930

I filled up at a different station. put 93 in at both places.

My bike stays in a garage that stays around 55 degrees, unless it's warmer outside. I park at school in a garage, but the garage it open to the elements, so that would be the same at the outside. My ride take about 10 minutes of city driving, and the bike routinely get's up to around 200, then will sit in essentially the outside all day until I leave school.