microsoft's worst ever?

serpentracer

I downloaded Win8 Pro N and installed it in a VM. Played with it for all of 2 min before I said this is a real POS.

In hindsight, the UI makes sense for anything that is touchscreen such as public keyosk, Point of Sale systems, Information delivery, etc. The problem is the OS was released before their Hardware UI to support it which allowed people to install, and make opinions on it on a platform it really wasnt designed for. For touchscreen, and phones it probably will work well once people get used to it.

For a standard system in day to day business use,, I dont see it catching on.

Of course I heard Server 2012 has a similar interface so ill need to check that out as well.

And to Ben, ME was a complete mess, Vista isnt that bad and managed to survive and is still being used as the primary at many companies globally

Edited by flounder

I downloaded Win8 Pro N and installed it in a VM. Played with it for all of 2 min before I said this is a real POS.

In hindsight, the UI makes sense for anything that is touchscreen such as public keyosk, Point of Sale systems, Information delivery, etc. The problem is the OS was released before their Hardware UI to support it which allowed people to install, and make opinions on it on a platform it really wasnt designed for. For touchscreen, and phones it probably will work well once people get used to it.

Of course I heard Server 2012 has a similar interface so ill need to check that out as well.

And to Ben, ME was a complete mess, Vista isnt that bad and managed to survive and is still being used as the primary at many companies globally

:eek: Really!?

My company has been developing for Win8 over the last few months. The Metro gui seems to be almost strictly tablet/touchscreen oriented. I can't imagine navigating it by traditional means without tearing your hair out. I, too, need to get into Server '12 and nose about, but from some of the preliminary things I have been told/seen already, it's doesn't sound like too drastic a departure from 2008 R2.

And ME was the ultimate abortion of all OSs ever. We have some workstations with Vista on it. Drives me up a wall.

What they are doing wrong is trying to develop an OS that is multi-device able. Meaning, the UI can be used on PC and touch devices. Instead they should have done what apple did with mountin lion... That is an awesome OSx ;) and iOS 6 is great as well..

Edited by jdonn

What they are doing wrong is trying to develop an OS that is multi-device able. Meaning, the device can be used on PC and touch devices. Instead they should have done what apple did with mountin lion... That is an awesome OSx ;) and iOS 6 is great as well..

No, they are trying to develop a OS with the same user interface on both PC and touch devices. The problem with that is, you interact with a PC very differently than you do with a phone or a tablet.

Windows ME=worst ever. Vista was just ok. 7 is what vista should have been, and visually not much different than Vista.

I'm running Windows 8 consumer preview (or whatever they called it) on my desktop PC (the main PC that I use) and it's "ok" but I'm probably going to go back to 7. It works ok, but it's just tedious to get around, switching back and forth between the start screen and the desktop. Closing programs started from the start screen also shut down differently, no red "X" to use. :wtf:

Most of what I've been using this computer for lately is just web browsing, so it's really not much of an issue.

One caution that I will give is the way you login to the computer. If you use the default login using you microsoft account (my good old Hotmail) you could EASILY be locked out of the computer! Somehow, my password quit working, and I could not login until I used another computer to fix my hotmail password. Right away I figured out that I needed to use a local account, not really realizing what I had done by using the MS account to login.

Windows ME=worst ever. Vista was just ok. 7 is what vista should have been, and visually not much different than Vista.

I'm running Windows 8 consumer preview (or whatever they called it) on my desktop PC (the main PC that I use) and it's "ok" but I'm probably going to go back to 7. It works ok, but it's just tedious to get around, switching back and forth between the start screen and the desktop. Closing programs started from the start screen also shut down differently, no red "X" to use. :wtf:

Most of what I've been using this computer for lately is just web browsing, so it's really not much of an issue.

One caution that I will give is the way you login to the computer. If you use the default login using you microsoft account (my good old Hotmail) you could EASILY be locked out of the computer! Somehow, my password quit working, and I could not login until I used another computer to fix my hotmail password. Right away I figured out that I needed to use a local account, not really realizing what I had done by using the MS account to login.

I have vista and 7 ultimate, it's no even remotly the same when you compare them side by side. looks are not the same. there are countless variations. I actually liked the vista's folder icons a lot better than 7.

7 and xp were their legacy. I don't see them making it much longer if 8 is what they're banking on. I just don't see tablets taking over desktops or real laptops in the near future. they're still "entertainment" devices at this stage. for one, humans have fingers. a keyboard is pretty much the thing for input of text etc. a mouse some can live without via touchscreen but the keyboard isn't going anywhere unless we develop telekinesis.

Edited by serpentracer

I have vista and 7 ultimate, it's no even remotly the same when you compare them side by side. looks are not the same. there are countless variations. I actually liked the vista's folder icons a lot better than 7.

7 and xp were their legacy. I don't see them making it much longer if 8 is what they're banking on. I just don't see tablets taking over desktops or real laptops in the near future. they're still "entertainment" devices at this stage.

I don't remember them bring that much different looking. :dunno: Maybe I'll load up vista in a VM and take a look-see, just to refresh my memory.

Personally, I had very little trouble with Vista, but 7 does seem to have much better performance.

when I load up vista I go looking for things where they are in 7 and it's different. even a lot of the control panel operation/layout is totally different.

I have on one drive installed via virtual machine ME, 2000 pro, XP pro, Vista home. and another drive is 7.

yeah Im dork. lol

I also have ubuntu 11 and linux mint maya 13.

No, they are trying to develop a OS with the same user interface on both PC and touch devices. The problem with that is, you interact with a PC very differently than you do with a phone or a tablet.

U just restated what I wrote... Same UI on different devices.

i thought i read someplace that if someone purchased 8 Ms would give them a windows 7 downgrade if they wanted. The general consensus in my circle of friends is windows 8 is developed to integrate with xbox and the newer microsoft phones and tablets.

It goes without saying though, Microsoft releases on a Tic Toc dynamic. Tic is always the shitty releases, and Toc is known as the better release. XP was a Toc Vista was a Tic 7 is a Toc 8 is a tic, so Windows 9 or whatever they call it will be better than 8

I have been testing Windows 8 for a couple months on a spare box. Things I like, things I don't, but it's not bad at all. I ditched the home menu for a classic start menu, and that goes a long way towards making it a better OS.

I haven't had any crashes, instability or driver issues....so on that score it's been very good.

I have been testing Windows 8 for a couple months on a spare box. Things I like, things I don't, but it's not bad at all. I ditched the home menu for a classic start menu, and that goes a long way towards making it a better OS.

I haven't had any crashes, instability or driver issues....so on that score it's been very good.

I didn't realize you could!

but when will any of those inferior os's catch up to ubuntu?

Umm.... About that... I'm fighting with Ubuntu right now, trying to learn how to use it. And by use it, I don't mean just being happy with whatever they want to give me on the install, I'm talking installing my own stuff. I guess I just haven't used linux enough/