thinking of buying a cruiser

Gixxus Christ!

A guy at work has a 93 1100 shadow with 37k miles on it for a grand. I have.t seen it yet but he's an old guy and takes care of his stuff. The ole lady really doesn't want me on a sport bike anymore since my wreck and she also wants something she can sit on the back of for more than a few blocks. I figure for a grand I can always sell it for a profit come spring if I don't like it. Thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thought.. you didn't crash because you were on a sportbike.

We all know the logic of a woman makes perfect sence.... I mean come on, if he had heen riding a Harley he wouldn't of crashed cuz the footrests would of stoped him from speeding in a corner... or atleast wouldn't be looking for a new bike cuz he would be dead/hospitalized from the lack of gear...

If its a beater he'll probably take less which means you have a cheap toy. It'll be like a cheap hooker ride her till your tired of it or she starts leaking. then strangle her light her on fire and drop her off in a shallow lake.

First thought.. you didn't crash because you were on a sportbike.

Second thought.. $1k is a small investment to make to see if a cruiser suits you.

This^

I tried to do the cruiser thing, it was not for me, a very expensive, and bad decision the way I went about it...

Exactly.

I was looking for a big shadow before I decided to go with the ZX9 and for that engine size and year it's a great price! My last cruiser was an 85 454 and I paid $400 for it and sold it for $750. My first 454 ( I bought the same year bike twice :p) I paid $800 and sold it for $1000. Just some points of reference.

Keep your eye open now for a 3rd Gen Honda Magna VF750C. Now that fall is here, they will be going for a lot less $$$.$$ It will give you all the performance of a street bike in a cruiser layout. Find a nice 96 - 02 and you won't regret it....in fact, you probably won't get rid of it even if you find you are not into cruisers. Honda V4's kick ass.

My dad has a gen1 v45 magna, great bike. I do love the Honda v4 motor and would love to find a v65 saber or magna if I could. Waiting for the guy with the shadow to call me, and I was mistaken on the price, its $1500. Still not much, might see if I can work a pistol into the deal.

Checked it out over the weekend. It's in good shape, rash on one pipe and the brake handle from a drop. Took it up and down the street, ok power but nothing like what I'm used to. One red flag: the owner had it warmed up when I got there. He came down to $1300 when I asked if he was firm on the price. A quick nada search shows its worth $1050 in good condition, $2100 in very good. I would put it between those two conditions so maybe $1300 is fair, still gonna offer him $1100. He really wants it out of his garage.

Checked it out over the weekend. It's in good shape, rash on one pipe and the brake handle from a drop. Took it up and down the street, ok power but nothing like what I'm used to. One red flag: the owner had it warmed up when I got there. He came down to $1300 when I asked if he was firm on the price. A quick nada search shows its worth $1050 in good condition, $2100 in very good. I would put it between those two conditions so maybe $1300 is fair, still gonna offer him $1100. He really wants it out of his garage.

Did it have stock or aftermarket pipes? May just be a bitch to cold start if its carbed and needs jets.

Run over there on a chilly morning and ask to take it for one last spin before commiting? Just wondering myself why he felt the need to warm it up first? Battery low? Did it spit/sputter/hesitate at low revs like the carbs are gelled a bit?

Your going from a bike with lots of power, torque , and handling to a bike that has none of those attributes. Don't get a me they are a good bike, but I feel you are going to be looking for more speed and better handling. If your buying to see if you like the handling that is one thing. But remember there are lots of "power" cruisers out there, that have much better handling, more torque, and more power. the unfortunate part is the "power cruisers are quite a bit more expensive. Like I said if your checking to see if you like the riding position, then cool. But don't base all cruisers off of this one. The power cruiser class would include VTX 1800s, Raiders, M109r, VROD, and the Meanstreak, The Meanstreak isn't made anymore, but there are always a few for sale on Craigslist. The meanstreak is also about the least powerful out of the group, even so I still love mine and it handles great. The rest of them are pretty common and can be found quite often. The Meanstreak is probably the cheapest of the group, followed by the VTX, the rest a kinda pricey. Just my 2 cents. If makes me laugh a bit when people buy an 800 or 1100 standard cruiser and complain cause it does handle like a sportbike. Well duh its not a sportbike. I have never been on a true sportbike, an SV 650 is as close as I have come. Good luck with you purchase/hunt, it looks like its in decent shape, and the price seems good.

Those are stock pipes with the baffles punched out, so he says. They were on it when he bought it.

I'm not looking for crazy power and handling, I already have a bike that does that. I want something comfy for long rides that the wifey will like. Also, buying this cruiser will allow me to convert my now cruisered-up cb750 project bike into a cafe racer and maybe sell the tls this spring and put the money into new windows for the house.