Beginner at track days, advice needed

JStump

the final turn onto Putnam's front straight is one of the most dangerous turns I've ever encountered on any track.

Every track has areas that could be better, but this one is pretty glaring... If you lowside in that turn anywhere past the apex, you're going to hit a concrete wall. If you highside in that turn, you better hope you clear the wall, or you're probably going to hit it in spectacular fashion.

I'm not saying it's a bad track or a bad place for a first day, but that corner is one to be VERY aware of. There is no reason to push it there, and every reason to back off a bit.

Even in a race, where drive down the front straight is essential, I would play it very very conservatively there, and only really risk it the last couple laps.

It isn't concrete... Not that it makes it any better, but it is rail... You can crush that turn as it is WAY better than it was before they moved it back...

when did they move it back?

I haven't been there in a year or two. You're telling mie it used to be worse??? Yikes.

They moved it after a friend died there around 1995. The guard rail was closer as in right up against the track. Think the rail everyone watches from and it went straight down vs angling back like it does now.

About tires, buck up and get some decent track day rubber. I had some decent street tires when I started out (BT16/20's) and went through 3 seasons absolutely terrified of my speed through turns. At the end of 2011 I got some BT03 take-offs and knocked 16 seconds off my times at Beaverun. And felt much more comfortable.

For 2012 I bought Pirellis Rosso Corsas and love them. The price was right and installed at a Motoseries trackday. For my pace they're all I need. So to the OP, get good rubber and you'll be better off. You'll feel much more sure footed and be able to focus more on learning.

Ask a friend to lend you an easy up. Borrow anything you can for your first day to minimize your expenses. Add what you need as you need it. Bring tools, water, snacks, gatorade, and a couple beers to share around at the end of the day. It's a great way to make friends.

Sign up for novice too. Motoseries' instruction is top notch, STT's novice is hit and miss in my experience. NESBA has great intermediate instruction but I only rode with them once.

Edited by wantahertzdonut

the final turn onto Putnam's front straight is one of the most dangerous turns I've ever encountered on any track.

Every track has areas that could be better, but this one is pretty glaring... If you lowside in that turn anywhere past the apex, you're going to hit a concrete wall. If you highside in that turn, you better hope you clear the wall, or you're probably going to hit it in spectacular fashion.

I'm not saying it's a bad track or a bad place for a first day, but that corner is one to be VERY aware of. There is no reason to push it there, and every reason to back off a bit.

Even in a race, where drive down the front straight is essential, I would play it very very conservatively there, and only really risk it the last couple laps.

I understand your concern with turn 10 at Putnam. I didn't say every inch of Putnam was as safe as sleeping in your bed. I said it was the safest track in the area. And it is. 8 out of the 10 turns you can run off at high speed and just cruise until you are going slow enough to return. I have run off between turn 1 & 3 at well over 100 miles an hour multiple times, and about 50 yards later turned around an came back to the track. I wouldn't try that at any part of Mid-O, Grattan, or any other track I have been to. It is also relatively easy to learn. It isn't as technical as the other tracks with more elevations changes.

You can't really compare the two tracks. Mid-Ohio is much more of a technical track where putnam is not. You have two turns that are somewhat sketchy. If you had AMA caliber riders there, turn 9 & 10 could be considered deadly. There is no deadly turns at mid-Ohio. The safety aspect of run off at mid-Ohio utilizes gravel traps to assist in slowing riders before obstacles.

Now, do I think Putnam is deadly? Not at all! It think for club racing and track days, it is by far perfectly safe and accessible to new riders as well as challenging to advanced riders.

But, you put AMA Superbike at Putnam and no way those last two turns get the seal of approval. Not one turn at mid-Ohio gets that stamp.