Anyone have a Smart car?

conn-e-rot

Might as well buy her a death trap, I can't imagine how bad they handle in the snow...

http://www.google.com/search?q=smart+car+wreck&hl=en&safe=off&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&tbo=d&gl=us&source=android-com.sec.android.app.twlauncher&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=GM2WUIDaI8aHywGxwYGwBg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=533&bih=237#p=0

These google pics are reason enough for me to never buy a smart car, I'd rather crash on my bike, atleast I'd have gear on :dunno:

Might as well buy her a death trap, I can't imagine how bad they handle in the snow...

http://www.google.com/search?q=smart+car+wreck&hl=en&safe=off&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&tbo=d&gl=us&source=android-com.sec.android.app.twlauncher&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=GM2WUIDaI8aHywGxwYGwBg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=533&bih=237#p=0

These google pics are reason enough for me to never buy a smart car, I'd rather crash on my bike, atleast I'd have gear on :dunno:

^^^Nothing hitting a semi head on is going to end well.^^^

I think they would be a great option for a single person in a large city.

I would also love to drive one into the bed of a pickup...kind of like Knight Rider!

What possible advantage does it have over a larger fuel-efficient little sedan? Giving up space, comfort and handling, and you get what? 40mpg in trade? Whoopee.

I'd buy a low-mileage Civic, Fiesta, Mazda3, etc for the same money. They all get the same mileage, and aren't microsized little shitboxes that can hold more than a bag of groceries.

What possible advantage does it have over a larger fuel-efficient little sedan? Giving up space, comfort and handling, and you get what? 40mpg in trade? Whoopee.

I'd buy a low-mileage Civic, Fiesta, Mazda3, etc. They all get the same mileage, and aren't microsized little shitboxes that can hold more than a bag of groceries.

Oh and them smartcars cost just as much if not more than some of the same larger types mentioned above.

I found several 2009 used ones around $10k with under 10,000 miles one I'm looking at only has 2k on it. My daughter is going to be 16 she is 5'1" and under 100lbs she doesn't need anymore space and she likes the smart cars.

I'm sure it is a little bit higher quality than the other small cars after all it is built by Mercedes Benz

For what they cost, I would buy something else.

Not bad cars, and quite safe despite their size. Just expensive for what they are (and aren't). Short wheelbase would make me a tad nervous in the snow though. Back end could come around REAL quick...

Edited by redkow97

despite whatever pics you find it actually has very high crash test ratings probably higher than most other small cars

They actually have a decent safety rating' date=' but I don't see an advantage over a Civic or Impreza. The 2012 Impreza gets upwards of 36mpg on the interstate and has all-wheel-drive.[/quote']

I'm looking for this car for a 16yr old want under $10k not $20k+

Ok, here's the skinny on Smart cars. Honestly, for what they are, they are very safe. They have a reinforced shell that surrounds the entire passenger cabin. You can literally roll one down the road and the inside is ok. It's how they're designed. And car as small as that will suck versus a semi, so just get that out of your head - if you're looking for something good against a semi, I'd suggest a locomotive and that will severely limit her travels.

That being said, for what you will pay for a Smart, dollar for dollar, new or used, you give up a lot. Maintenance is expensive (Mercedes), I believe they take premium fuel, and they are not that good on gas. I'd look at a multitude of other cars - Civic, Fit, Sentra, Altima, Versa, Corolla, Camry, Jetta to name a few. All are bigger, get at least as good if not better mileage, and will be cheaper to own and maintain.

Also, the two seats in the Smart are offset - the passenger sits further back than the driver - a symptom of being so narrow.

In case you don't know, the Smart was developed in Europe to be a size where two could share a standard parking spot. That's their sole reason for existence.