freecreditreport.com

Scruit

I just canceled my membership. I originally go it while going through a debt payoff blitz, and kept it to keep an eye on my score as the debts dropped off.

Fast forward a few years... I got an email from them saying their rate was going up from $12.95 to $19.95/mo. That made me realize that I haven't logged in there for a couple of years, it only covers me not my wife, and our bank offers a similar service that would be $12.95 for us both (FCR would be $40 for us both).

I called them to cancel the membership and the next (well-rehearsed) words out of the agent's mouth were; "Are you canceling because of the rate increase, because we are willing to put your rate down to $8 a month, and we also offer...."

I sense an exodus. Almost doubling the cost of a service will do that.

www.creditkarma.com

www.creditsesame.com

never any charges from them for their basic service, and by signing up for both you can keep track of 2 of your 3 credit reports.

They also have some interesting tools.

I've found creditsesame to be more accurate on the score (at least in my case)

do your freeannualcreditreport.com once a year for good measure and to keep tabs on the third report (even though they don't tell you a score)

You are allowed to check you credit report completely free once a year. Dont pay for it!

yes, but that's once a year, and gives identity thieves potentially an entire year to scam you before you find out about it.

The 2 sites I mentioned give you free access to your report and scores. The have advertising on the sites to cover the costs.

Credit Sesame uses experian

Credit Karma uses transunion

Edited by magley64

I only check my credit score before making major purchases.

When we bought our house 4 years ago, all my scores were around 800, and the wife's were slightly higher (which pissed me off, because I had purchased a car, and she had no comparable credit history).

When we bought a car a couple of years later, the scores were essentially the same. We had more debt (the mortgage and my student loans), but that didn't seem to matter, because it wasn't credit card debt, and I hadn't missed or made any late payments.

Hahaha! Credit sesame says my credit is very poor. My score is N/A!

The rest of the story is that I have NO credit. I do have one small thing that shows up, as a negative ($121) but nothing else is showing because I don't use credit!

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a bigger toolbox for work to get on the credit map! :lol: So