Leaning in Corners...

ridein

I had one motorcycle that would turn/steer by just leaning (no hands). I don't think all front geometry will that. And I mean gentle turns, not sharp corners. Haven't tried it lately. Don't know why I'd want to.

Prove it.

This series by the guy who literally wrote the book on motorcycle riding explains it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oyVdyUTnlDw

The bike can turn with counter steering alone just not that well. You can sit up and basically lean opposite but it makes for horrible traction. It's a common reason for low sides.

Anyone else read this dude's post history?

On 9/24 he says he will be taking the MSF course before riding.

On 10/6 he says he has ridden 1700 miles since June on his 250.

Ok, the first post implies he hasn't ridden but now he has been riding for over 2 months before then. Whatever, a little off with times. Here is where it gets interesting:

By 10/15 he is giving advice of a blown head gasket or a hole in a piston.

He was busy on 11/1. Giving tire recommendations because he has 2800 miles on new Pilot Powers on his Aprilia (2nd bike, so 2800 miles in a maximum of 25 days). Then asks how do you know if a tire is worn AFTER giving his recommendation on a tire, based on knowing his front tire is half worn.

If you have ridden as many miles as you say you have (4500 mi) and taken the MSF course like you said you would, this question would never have entered your mind. I don't know if this is a troll account, troll post, or what but you should probably stop giving advice to others if you don't know it yourself. To answer your question; yes, you should lean and you won't fall if you are gripping the tank properly with your legs. Bitani posted some good information, probably over your head, but good information nevertheless.

• Upvote 1

"Lean" is probably not the best word to use either. You're not really leaning the bike so much as you are causing the front wheel to move out from under the bike. The result is lean angle, but that is a biproduct of the (subconscious) act of counter steering.

Any conversation on turning a motorcycle has to start with a realization that

1) at any reasonable speed, the bike wants to stay straight and upright, and

2) the goal is to carry the least lean-angle necessary, to keep maximum traction.

Riding a motorcycle is just like driving a car except that above 13 mph you turn left to go right and turn right to go left. You need to get some tank grips on your bike, that way you can hold on with your legs instead of your arms.

Edited by alienpi

Riding a motorcycle is just like driving a car except that above 13 mph you turn left to go right and turn right to go left. You need to get some tank grips on your bike, that way you can hold on with your legs instead of your arms.

Whenever I go faster than 13 MPH, I just tense my abdominal muscles and create ass-suction to grip the seat... :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Anyone else read this dude's post history?

On 9/24 he says he will be taking the MSF course before riding.

On 10/6 he says he has ridden 1700 miles since June on his 250.

Ok, the first post implies he hasn't ridden but now he has been riding for over 2 months before then. Whatever, a little off with times. Here is where it gets interesting:

By 10/15 he is giving advice of a blown head gasket or a hole in a piston.

He was busy on 11/1. Giving tire recommendations because he has 2800 miles on new Pilot Powers on his Aprilia (2nd bike, so 2800 miles in a maximum of 25 days). Then asks how do you know if a tire is worn AFTER giving his recommendation on a tire, based on knowing his front tire is half worn.

If you have ridden as many miles as you say you have (4500 mi) and taken the MSF course like you said you would, this question would never have entered your mind. I don't know if this is a troll account, troll post, or what but you should probably stop giving advice to others if you don't know it yourself. To answer your question; yes, you should lean and you won't fall if you are gripping the tank properly with your legs. Bitani posted some good information, probably over your head, but good information nevertheless.

Game over.

Squid captured.