Rifle hard cases

Helmutt

Have had this safe for several years now and my old muzzle loader isnt rusting in the least, the shotgun is Armorlocked top to botttom, the AR is new and well oiled ( just like all the guns ) and the pistols are all packed in foam lined cases along with silica packs.....I understand the concern of moisture damage, but dont foresee any major issues under out circumstances. Although, now that you mention it, a small canister of dessicant cant hurt so maybe something to buy and monitor just in case potential problems arise.

Check out the Eva Dry E-500.... About $20 each and rechargeable for unlimited number of times. Desiccant is blue when dry and turns to pink when it gets wet.

They work pretty well.

Heaters have a bit of their own problem. Depending on safe location, all they do is draw cold damp air in from the bottom, and pump heat out the top. I would seal it up good, stick with desicants, and be done with it.

I think I'd agree with that logic, now that you mentioned it. I recently moved the safe to the basement. Never plugged the heater in yet. I'd say it's slightly more damp down there. Guess I could test this theory and re-charge the desicant, see how long it takes to turn pink, then re-charge again, with heater on, and see how long it takes to turn pink again.

Side note, there are spots of rust forming on the desicant can?

Edited by Gump

I think I'd agree with that logic, now that you mentioned it. I recently moved the safe to the basement. Never plugged the heater in yet. I'd say it's slightly more damp down there. Guess I could test this theory and re-charge the desicant, see how long it takes to turn pink, then re-charge again, with heater on, and see how long it takes to turn pink again.

I bet if you set the desicant on the bottom after the heater is on it it may go quicker. Would be a cool test to do..

Remember, this applies to safes that are not sealed very well at the bottom and lower edges.

Tried to find pics of the ones that Ross and I picked up as black friday deals for like 30 bucks, but I can't so here are the stock photos

P12652291.jpg

That looks like really nice equip for $30! Exactly what I'm after - Thanx Adam

That looks like really nice equip for $30! Exactly what I'm after - Thanx Adam

You won't find them for $30 ever again. Walmart was trying to unload them at a crackhead price. They are $120 at Vance's for the 36" case but you can find the other sizes on Amazon for decent deals.

You won't find them for $30 ever again. Walmart was trying to unload them at a crackhead price. They are $120 at Vance's for the 36" case but you can find the other sizes on Amazon for decent deals.

Yep. Ross and I bought them out at the only store we found them. Gundish bought a shit ton of them if I remember right.

Plano Gun Guard is a fraction of the cost of a pelican. Unless you plan on dropping the case from a helicopter 100 ft to the ocean, the gun guard should do just fine.

Gonna look into these tonight and judge the quality in-hand - $25 a case is hard to beat for a hardshell. Thanx for the info guys!

Gonna look into these tonight and judge the quality in-hand - $25 a case is hard to beat for a hardshell. Thanx for the info guys!

What case are you buying for $25?

Been to 3 Walmarts no luck. Did find out they are no longer going to carry hunting eq. It will all go on clearance after the season.

Might only be our area Wally's though, can still order online but the prices are considerable vs the sale figures. Wish I could make Bill Goodmans this wkend but schedules prevent that