And so it begins....

RHill

yea i was informed this weekend that dunlop no longer produces a 180 tire. it's 190 or 200.  I ran pirelli 190's on the SS built 600 before, a true liter bike slick. the dunlop "190" def. doesn't look like one haha

All good Matt, wasn't taking offense or anything.  I like to mention take-offs because cost is a serious barrier to entry(any beyond) to track days.  I mean look at what we are talking about here...$300-500 for a consumable that doesn't last very long.   If someone thinks that is the only option, we might see them at the track less.  

Perfect example is on AFJ right now....11 sets of Pirelli's for sale $140/set mounted up...I'm tempted to see if someone can bring a set up for the first round.

For dunlop tire info:

http://www.dunlopracing.com/fitment.pdf

For fun and because I reorganized the crap....can't wait to get the new ones in  :business: who's ready for some trackdays?

Tires.jpg

If I didn't have enough for the year covered I'd buy those Pirellis for sale on AFJ....even still considering it anyway. 

I got a nice set of GPA's from Phil the thrill last year for 150,plus a slick.
Well worth the 150

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a set from him too...they are in the "junk" pile now, great tires!

Edited by RHill

didn't really have a plan...was going to use them for the street, but I'm considering taking the wheels off my street bike and using them as a second set of spare wheels for the track. 

On the track they probably have a day and a couple sessions left, but they would have some life on the street.

• 3 months later...

So the official update.....

Moto Series August 3rd races, we are getting some shitty weather with rain in the morning.  I'm testing out "new to me" take-off rain tires.  My first race of the day, the 750gt, went well.  It wasn't the fastest pace, but I was still gaining confidence in the new condition of the track and the tires.  My next race was the 600/1k sbk race.  With Twining out because of an earlier incident and Dietz sitting out because of the rain tires, I could have literally ran 2 minute laps and grew the points lead in 3rd place in 600 sbk novice.  Instead of thinking and running a mild pace, I continued to feel out the new tires.  Well, the limit of the tires/my ability came quicker than expected in turn 12 on the first lap......Highside city!!!!

I'm not sure if I was knocked out cold, but I remember very little from that day through most of that week(partially to blame on the drugs).  I do not remember the slightest thing about the hospital, the bus ride, treatment, release....anything.  Over time some memories are coming back, mainly stupid little things, like finding my camera filled with water after the 750gt and draining it out, pulling the battery and sitting it off to the side for the 600 race.  Even details that would normally be obvious; like which tires I was on, do not bring 100% confidence until they are verified.

Gear (PPE) Report out:

Helmet (Bell Star).....did it's job.  I'm not sure how I landed or slid, but it hit the ground a few times on both sides, from the chin bar to "wind strip" that ripped off the rear of the helmet.  The visor mechanism on the one side was ground down, but still functions if a visor is placed in.  Most of the visible damage is scrapes and abrasions, but the helmet took a hit on the right rear hard enough to break the exterior fiberglass and put a noticeable  abnormality in the shell shape.  It is hard to give a "positive" crash report without knowing or having video of the incident, but I truly think this helmet kept me in the best condition possible through the crash.

20140819_200233.jpg

Suit(Spidi Windpro).....this thing takes a beating and keeps coming back for more.  Even being through multiple offs, this Spidi suit has treated me well and this crash was no exception.  There is a section of stitching on the accordion panel around the hip area that will require some attention, but it will be a minor repair.  There is also a tear/cut above the speed hump on the rear of the suit.  The tear continues to the stretch panel on the neck.  It will require a repair as well, but I'm curious as to where it possibly came from, maybe to aid in removal....seems odd for crash damage?  

20140819_203026.jpg

Boots (A* SMX+ old style)look normal.....left toe slider saw a little action, but everything looks ready to hit the track again.

Gloves (A* GP Pro) are ready to go....definitely tell they went down from the knuckles  and palms, but they have life left.

Edited by RHill

Thanks Craig.....wish I knew how I hit (or what)and what kind of shock the helmet took.  Out of all my helmets, it fits the best....snug, but not bothersome tight.

The bike.....just started to get into this thing today.  Didn't get very far, just stripped the fairings, removed electronics from the subframe and looked it over.

Broken rearset mounting ear.  Kind of expected, I had heli-coiled the mount in the past.

20140819_174844.jpg

Right side rear-set peg is bent, but the rearset body seems straight.  It will have to come apart to tell exactly the damage. I hope the guys didn't have too much trouble moving the bike!  It turns out the rear brake was dragging terribly because of the tweaked peg. (Thanks Ron for the photo!)

image%2520%25285%2529.jpeg

Not the best photo, but broken sub-frame.  I've started to pull parts out of the way to see how things will re-align.  I'll probably try to fix this before dropping the coin on a new one.

20140819_174902.jpg

Bent rim.....not happy about this one.  Seems pretty deep.

20140819_174913.jpg

20140819_174943.jpg

Something was either wrong with the harness or with the battery....nothing would do anything with the key flipped on/off.  

20140819_180007.jpg

Power commander was loose and the case was unclipped and opened

20140819_180019.jpg

Upper bleed screw is broke off the master in addition the res being destroyed.  Grips on both tubes were destroyed(removed).  Throttle tube has a small chunk taken from the tip, it is probably repairable.

20140819_183330.jpg

Frame slider took a beating...Hopefully the threads are not pulled in the motor(hate even saying that)  Already have another set ready to go on.

20140819_183411.jpg

Muffler and mount are bent, but that should be an easy repair.

Cosmetics....tank got dinged up and the fairings are all fucked up, but I could ride with it all tomorrow.  If the repairs don't test my patience, I may fix the tank, do some bodywork and respray the thing......may.

Thanks Jeff!  Hopefully most of the stuff will be repairs and not replacement.  I did just order a new windscreen (2nd one I've purchased just to have nice clean video for everyone) and a new set of grips.  Had to get that critical stuff (windscreen and grips) on order right away!

Other weird thing I noticed but forgot to mention, the cap for the radiator overflow is missing.  The fairings may have knocked it free in the crash, but the overflow is around 60% full, right where it should be.  Seems odd.

Other weird thing I noticed but forgot to mention, the cap for the radiator overflow is missing. The fairings may have knocked it free in the crash, but the overflow is around 60% full, right where it should be. Seems odd.

That is weird !

Butt plug ?

what I was thinking....hence the keep it :)

Just re-read through the entire thread....what a shit "end", even if it just temporary.  I don't know when or where the next track day is going to be, but I'm already tired of waiting for it.

If you think that subframe is just cracked and not bent horribly I'd be happy to try and tig it for ya. I have a little experience with welding some cast aluminum that came out pretty good. Same for the front fairing stay. I noticed it was in pieces but seemed like they collected all the pieces off the track.

And oh ya, you were knocked the fuck out! Sams parents were watching turn 12/13 from their RV and saw you go down. Her dad said you didn't move till well after the paramedics got there. At least a good 4-5 minutes.

One side of the sub-frame is cracked/completely broke on two ~2" C shaped ribs.  You can make out the broken area by looking for bare aluminum behind the tank hinge.....then the second broken area is directly behind the sub-frame bolt.  Plan to remove everything and test fit the frame back together first...it should also give me a better idea if it bent & if there is damage to the other side.

I've never tried to weld cast aluminum before, so I may need a hand with it.  If the fitment works out, I'll try to tig a non-critical area to see if I can get any positive results....guessing I'll need help with it though, had mixed luck with welding aluminum in the past.

Front fairing stay looks pretty good, it is actually multiple pieces that came apart.  The center body that bolts to the frame looks OK other than a few minor tabs that bent around the gauge cluster.  There are also two fairing support tubes that were damaged.  Cool part is, I'm made the tubes before and it was a piece of cake bending them with a small torch....looks like the radius is still good on the one to use for a reference as well.  Probably make 2 sets this time just to have a back-up.