And so it begins....

RHill

alright, sometime this season I need to snag a set of ragged out take offs from one of you fuckers to give the Pirelli carcass a shot.  I have to admit, mounting those things up is like a dream vs dunlops....could just about push them on by hand.

Only issues I've had with dunlops was a 209 front (yuck) and this 211 takeoff, but I really think the 211 was mistreated or something.

I was getting good life out of the take offs last season...about 4 track days/rear with a flip; taking it to no tread on one side.  Fronts I just changed whenever, have a surplus of those.

I think I have a set from last year or the year before in my trailer, Ryan.  I would say easily it's a 3 rear to 1 front ratio running them.  Lets not forget that you can flip the Pirelli's and I don't know that you can with all of the Dunjunks.  I've been running the Rosso Corsa and not pushed it beyond it's limits.  This is the next tire down from the Supercorsa SP's which is what I'll be spooning on this season.

Personally for track days/practices I used to run a rear down to the core lol. They grip and work great clear down til there's nothing left. I would only change fronts out of prevention of a low side than any actual noticed loss of grip

Ha, maybe $320 or $340 for Craig. But for the rest of us this year, the Pirelli's will be almost $400. Crazy.

Also, the price I quoted was for the 180/55 not the 60, the 60 is like 40-50 more.

think it was $369 for a set of 190/60 dunlops when I check last year

Correct, the 320 is for the set with the 190/50, I'm assuming they still sell that one.

Crazy... Last time I was around dunlops were over $400 and pirellis were $330

the UK dunlops are still like ~$450 and the new 212s are around the same range.

Also, the price I quoted was for the 180/55 not the 60, the 60 is like 40-50 more.

Correct, the 320 is for the set with the 190/50, I'm assuming they still sell that one.

Yeah, I think the 190/60 is geared more toward 1000's but it fits the 5.5 inch wheel as well.  Only reason I ran the 190/60 because I could find a ton of take offs last year...for the cost of new tires I would have just went with the 190/55 and saved $40/rear.

I think I have a set from last year or the year before in my trailer, Ryan. I would say easily it's a 3 rear to 1 front ratio running them. Lets not forget that you can flip the Pirelli's and I don't know that you can with all of the Dunjunks. I've been running the Rosso Corsa and not pushed it beyond it's limits. This is the next tire down from the Supercorsa SP's which is what I'll be spooning on this season.

I've flipped all my dunlops...q2's, 209, 211, 190/55 or 190/60.  Had a little seperation with with q2 at the extreme end of it's life.  I think the early 190/55 211's had an issue being flipped.

Yeah, I was gonna say that, Craig. The 180/60 is definitely a bit more expensive (but worth it), and once you add tax on you're at about $400. Price went up this year. Last year I think it all came out to about $380 or so. But I guess when you consider that the UK Dunlop, which IS the comparable tire, is well over $500, it's not that bad. I guess.

I don't know, I don't think there's gonna be that much of a difference between the Dunflops and the Pirellis this year when it's all said and done.

And yes, I was once like Ryan, always trying to get the tire thing done as cheaply as possible... but then I realized it's just not worth it and put my big boy pants on and ponied up the cash. 

:broke:

The dunlop 190 actually measures 185, the pirelli 180 measures 187. The dunlop is designed for the 5.5 rim just like the 180 for 600's, I'm not sure what the 750 came with tire wise.

180/55

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rear wheel on the 600/750 is the same 5.5in.  Dunlop has a nice chart with fitments and diameters I'll post up tonight.

I don't know, I don't think there's gonna be that much of a difference between the Dunflops and the Pirellis this year when it's all said and done.

And yes, I was once like Ryan, always trying to get the tire thing done as cheaply as possible... but then I realized it's just not worth it and put my big boy pants on and ponied up the cash.

:broke:

The way I look at it, tires are a good portion of the cost of hitting the track....I need as much seat time as possible to gain experience and make improvements. It is a recurring cost reduction. I would have spent around $1300 in tires last year buying new, with take-offs it was less than $500. That $800 was then used toward other costs associated with track time. Without take-offs, I would be at the track 2/3 as often.

I bought a bunch of new tires, but I'll still be using take-offs as much as possible.