And so it begins....

RHill

Well, I think everything is ready to go; packed up the toolbox and started cleaning the garage up a little.  

Did learn something very important today:  Don't climb up onto a bike that is on stands & a lift, then proceed to test if everything "feels right" by shifting from side to side....even slightly.  I lucked out and had a table just close enough that an outstretched toe could catch the edge.  If that table was literally 2" further away, the bike was going over with me on top of it.

I had the bike outside the other day and was backing it into the garage. I tripped and fell over but the trailer broke my fall and I kept the bike up. If those are the worst things that happen this week I think we're gonna be alright.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Fun little update, went to PIRC a couple weeks ago(videos below)....anyway, was in a hurry before the trackday building a bike around a 750 engine.  Noticed about half way through the first day that my clip-ons were crooked as hell, but it didn't feel that bad, so kept riding.  Forgot about it that evening, then rode through it the next day as well.  Mr. Stoppable mentioned building a clip on alignment tool...figured I'd make one as well just to have around.  Well this is the results:

20150912_202329.jpg

and what I was riding with at PIRC....first clutch side lined up, second the comparison to the throttle side:

20150912_155313.jpg

20150912_155411.jpg

Is the tool necessary? No, the same thing can be accomplished with a straight edge and a measuring tape.  Did I overbuild it?  More than a little, it is the material that was available.  Is it a neat little gadget?  Sure is, makes measuring the clip on alignment side to side take about 5 seconds.  Tip: After they are lined up, scribe a mark on the upper triple clamp and each clip on clamp, so they can be lined up every time without any tools.

Now on to the PIRC videos:

Hasn't proven itself yet, but it will be.  Traffic was rough because of a sold out event, having a few issues with the bike(including some headshake on corner entrance that hasn't been pinpointed yet), and I was trying to be a little reserved while adapting to the 750 considering the collarbone.....even with all that still managed a few laps within a second of my previous personal best, and even more importantly, had a great weekend.

Along with my crooked clip ons, I was getting some pretty nasty headshake on corner entrance at PIRC.  This was on the "new" frame I picked up with the 750 engine....so I'm betting it was the steering stem bearings.  Went ahead and ordered some just to find out the retaining nut was completely loose.  

The service manual calls out some pretty serious torque for both nuts....32.5 ftlbs for the retaining nut, then back off 1/4 to 1/2 turn, and 58 ftlbs for the jam nut.  Figured it would be nice to actually torque them properly, so I fabbed up a spanner socket.  Welds on the teeth are kind of ugly, but they didn't budge, so good enough.  

Since I already bought the bearings, went ahead and changed them out.  They call for a special driver tool to tighten them in via threaded rod, but I just used an old race and tapped them in with a hammer.

20150916_204155.jpg 20150916_204120.jpg 20150916_204108.jpg\