Cheap (~$1500 or less) bike for college/campus commuting?

8Rider6

So, I may be going back to school and may be living in housing around OSU (not a great area). So, I really don't want to keep my 919 there to commute with. Even if I lived in a better area, I'm not sure I'd want to commute with it there either since a lot of students are idiots and think it's funny to vandalize bikes, push them over, etc...

Because of that, I'm looking into getting a bike that is cheap and I won't really care about *if* something happened to it. Key factors would be cheap to maintain and reliable (also relatively small and light for urban environment/parking).

So far, it seems like Honda Nighthawks, Honda CBs, Suzuki GS, etc from the 80's might be a fair choice, but I don't know tons about them... They can be had very cheap it looks like:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3385759396.html

Though, I'd rather pay $1000 for one with tires, chain, transmission, carbs etc in good shape than $600 for one that needs work.

I did find a GS500E on there for $1450 OBO and a 1997 Bandit 600 for $1500 OBO. Though they're slightly more expensive, I think I'd sooner go for one of those as they're more modern. I'd guess they're easier to get parts for and thus easier to maintain, but again I don't know as much about the older 80's bikes, so if I'm wrong at that, please let me know. Plus I've owned a Bandit before and it was a great bike that I have some familiarity with.

I was planning on getting a 2003-2007 SV650S in the Spring for track days, but if I'm going back to school, then I'll need to change priorities.

I wouldn't really be looking to purchase until around July/August though, so I've got a good bit of time.

rode a beat to crap Honda CM400 to class for years, it started and went every single time and never had to do a thing to it. no one gave it a second look, but it did the trick, heck you could kick it over and all would be fine... I don't think you can go wrong with the nighthawks or CBs, but the twins are just dead simple, ala CM, CX, older Hawks, even rebel 250/450.

Edited by mike884

My first bike was an 81 Honda GL500 I bought for $400 and used to commute to OSU. You really don't want anything too pricey, bot so much for campus, but for where you'll be living. I never had a problem with mine on campus but worried about it all the time at home.

What about an EX250?

I'd strip the fairings and install longer bar ends to protect it a little if its knocked over, but you should be able to find a running but ugly first gen for under a grand this time of year.

16" tires mean that bt45's are about the best rubber option, but they're fine street tires.

I have an ex500 that i started on and that bike has been down so many times and it still works great. The fairings are terrible, cracked, scratched, barely being held on by some zip ties, but the bike runs great despite everything its been through. I picked it up for less than a grand and had to replace the chain and handle bar. I think you could pick one up for cheap.

DON'T DISS the scooter option and there are options that are a bit more masculine if you have personal image issues. Honda Ruckus, for example.

Bazinga!!! http://www.ohioriders.net/showthread.php?p=931280#post931280

You can check with the campus police but in many cases, scooters are allowed to park with the bicycles and that can be a huge time saver if you ride the bike on campus. Scooters get excellent fuel mileage and are a lot easier to store than a motorcycle.

Bicycle is really the best option.

If none of those work, I would suggest a Honda 230L or something similar.

Edited by Revelstoker

I don't believe the OP is man enough to own a scooter.

:cry:

Seriously though, scooter's not really an option. Only way I would consider it is if they could park where bicycles could. However, I've noticed at OSU most buildings have dedicated motorcycle parking right in front. I still need something that could work at freeway speeds, more than 30-40mph.

A dual purpose bike. Simple, cheap, cheap to insure. Made to take naps so when someone pushes it over it will have minimal damage. Sun fading & crusty old dirt will just give you street cred with that crowd. Usually crazy gas milage. light nimbal & tall enough that you do not look like you are on some sort of toy, sometimes small displacment street bikes are physically very small. The only drawback is seat height. Lots of good choices out there.