Thinking about buying dad a rifle for Xmas

magley64

Anyone know anything about air rifles?

He has a CO2 pistol that sucks (accuracy sucks, and after 15 or 20 shots the pellets barely make it past the end of the barrel)

I seen a daisy 880 with scope on walmart's website <$50

Not sure what kinda specs are "good" when it comes to these things.

He just want's something to pluck off barn swallows from the phone lines in his back yard. (they have a tendency to swoop at him in the summers)

Anyone know anything about air rifles?

He has a CO2 pistol that sucks (accuracy sucks, and after 15 or 20 shots the pellets barely make it past the end of the barrel)

I seen a daisy 880 with scope on walmart's website <$50

Not sure what kinda specs are "good" when it comes to these things.

He just want's something to pluck off barn swallows from the phone lines in his back yard. (they have a tendency to swoop at him in the summers)

some people got this on woot when it was $120 or whatever

http://www.amazon.com/Gamo-Varmint-Stalker-Deluxe-Whisper/dp/B004WMFTK8

somebody i know got it as well, and it's pretty baller sauce.

Anything over 1000fps would be decent equip. Gamo is good stuff for the price. And I wouldn't mess with anything CO2 propelled when pumps and breaks are just as good for what they are. Could always set him up with a supressed .22 lever/bolt/semi and earn extra points:D

just thinking out loud here:

to be a little more in-line with your tendency toward non-violence, your Pop could search out the barn swallow nests in the eaves of his home and barn, and the rafters and cross beams in the barn, and as soon as he sees nests appear either water them until they disappear (they're made of mud), or simply remove the nest.

best to attempt removal before the swallows are breeding, so early spring (i would guess).

or just go with the .50 cal. as BTD suggested... ;)

• Upvote 1

Ill just leave this here.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/selfloading/795.asp

photo_795.jpg

As cheap as a decent air rifle. Use CB caps for an extremely effective in town vermin dispatcher out to about 40ish yrds.

What are these cb caps? Aside from birds and safely killing cats inside what's their use? Are they legal in town or just quiet? I'm about to buy a house in a small neighborhood and I'm pretty sure firing one is frowned upon there. I'm probably going to need to get a pellet gun soon also.

Jefferson golden dawn had an air rifle in there the other day for $99 said 1000fps had a scope on it I believe it was a ruger can't remember for sure though

wonder if it was a ruger blackhawk, i seen one online for around 100 bux, and the video review I watched was saying that it was an excellent rifle for the price...(once you've tightened up a few screws)

I'd have liked to keep it around $50, but I could do $100

Edited by magley64

What are these cb caps? Aside from birds and safely killing cats inside what's their use? Are they legal in town or just quiet? I'm about to buy a house in a small neighborhood and I'm pretty sure firing one is frowned upon there. I'm probably going to need to get a pellet gun soon also.

They are 710 fps .22 rounds. Just as quiet if not quieter than pellets. Even the Gamo Whisperer is louder and these have more short distance knock down power than a pellet.

I have discharged a cb round in my sub development once or twice at some rabbits that were eating my garden up. Much quieter in a rifle then a hand gun that I noticed. Out of my rifle they didn't make much noise. I have since switched to a sling shot and ball bearing to dispatch rabbits. It is silent and packs a hell of a thud with a heavier ball bearing.

wonder if it was a ruger blackhawk, i seen one online for around 100 bux, and the video review I watched was saying that it was an excellent rifle for the price...(once you've tightened up a few screws)

I'd have liked to keep it around $50, but I could do $100

Go there and ask for better price most stuff they will come down