Long term savings plans

Bad324

Would not be going anywhere out of my reach, cash hidden in a nice safe and accessible place that only I know of.

That's just plain stupid. What the fuck do you suppose the post-apocalyptic cyborgs are gonna do with it? Duh....use it to buy hot zombie strippers. :rolleyes:

Hey, I've got a great idea. Why don't you send it in to the govt to pay down the national debt!

1. set up an alaskan trust.

2. buy a Ferrari

3. Profit

is an Alaskan Trust a real thing or you just joking? I ask as I have never heard of it

Oh, I assure you it's real. As a matter I just invested in one myself. It's 100% safe and guaranteed, and the returns are phenomenal....like 35% annual return on a bad year! If you want, send me your cash and I'll forward it to the institution that I'm dealing with. :D

That's just plain stupid. What the fuck do you suppose the post-apocalyptic cyborgs are gonna do with it? Duh....use it to buy hot zombie strippers. :rolleyes:

Hey, I've got a great idea. Why don't you send it in to the govt to pay down the national debt!

Who knows what the most sought after things would be if Mad Max Road Warrior shit goes down. I would imagine that fuel, clean safe water, and ammunition could become priceless. Can always wipe our ass with paper money, when the toilet paper runs out.

Who knows what the most sought after things would be if Mad Max Road Warrior shit goes down. I would imagine that fuel, clean safe water, and ammunition could become priceless. Can always wipe our ass with paper money, when the toilet paper runs out.

Snork!!! Why you silly...I'd just skip on down to my nearby ATM and get out another $500 and buy me some of that good shit. ;)

Are you married? Have any children or grandchildren? Saving for retirement? Own any nice stuff? I mean, beside your fuel, water and ammunition stores? If so, WHY? :wtf:

'Course I hope you realize I'm only pulling your chain, and I understand the need to plan and prepare for future unforeseen crisis, but if I had to live with your dark vision of the future, I think I'd kill myself now. I seriously hope and believe that not only will I survive and thrive, but that my children and grandchildren will as well, albeit in a different world that I have lived in for the last 6 decades.

Hey, with any luck, when the survivors of the future get hungry, they'll choose to eat a politician.

I don't think I have too much of a dark vision for the future at all, although it isn't looking real bright as of late. Smart folks will always try to prepare "somewhat" for the what if's and could be's, but there are those that go way too far. Pretty confident that many would survive and thrive pretty well, and that is where family and very close friends makes all the difference. And I would imagine that the majority of politicians would be on the menu, although I doubt even a zombie would enjoy that meal.

If you're really low-maintenance: lifecycle or changing composition-type mutual funds

Medium maintenance: pick your own index funds between S&P fund, extended market fund, international fund, total bond fund and rebalance on your own annually.

Want to lose money: buy and sell stocks

Want to basically waste your time: CDs and savings accounts

Read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Guide-Investing-Taylor-Larimore/dp/0470067365

I have some $$ spread across Morningstar 4 or 5 star rated funds in categories that I believe have (relative) stability and potential for growth.

-Tech

-Medical

-Pharmaceutical

-Utilities

-Blue Chips

-S&P Index...to name a few.

I recheck the Morningstar ratings once a year and move funds if necessary.

Fidelity has a good user interface for managing your money and researching funds. You can setup either a Roth IRA or a normal investment account depending on your intentions.

With only 10k... and i say only, only because the market is expensive. I don't have 10k laying around. you wont make any money off of stable companies, because their stocks already high. I'd go for cheaper stocks and do some pump and dump trading. Stuff like Groupon, Siri, Bee, look at some pharmaceuticals that are in the trial phase. Sprint might even be a good buy for some gains.

I personally just bought groupon a few weeks ago at 2.80 and its already over fifty percent profit.

I plan on dumbing groupon soon, as i dont see how they company will ever make money..

My logic is this. with 10k in a stock like apple, you'd get 20 shares.. it would have to go up by 50 bucks to make 2k. it would take forever to make any money..

However, with 10k in a 5 dollar stock like sprint (S) you'd have 2000 shares. you would make 2k every time it went up a dollar.

Edited by Sen10nalz

With only 10k... and i say only, only because the market is expensive. I don't have 10k laying around. you wont make any money off of stable companies, because their stocks already high. I'd go for cheaper stocks and do some pump and dump trading. Stuff like Groupon, Siri, Bee, look at some pharmaceuticals that are in the trial phase. Sprint might even be a good buy for some gains.

I personally just bought groupon a few weeks ago at 2.80 and its already over fifty percent profit.

I plan on dumbing groupon soon, as i dont see how they company will ever make money..

Awesome if that works for you :D

I personally don't have the guts for that type of investing. Any stock that's volitile enough to gain 50% in a few weeks can also lose in a few weeks. You have to know when to get in and when to get out.

My logic is this. with 10k in a stock like apple, you'd get 20 shares.. it would have to go up by 50 bucks to make 2k. it would take forever to make any money..

However, with 10k in a 5 dollar stock like sprint (S) you'd have 2000 shares. you would make 2k every time it went up a dollar.

too much work and too much risk for me

is an Alaskan Trust a real thing or you just joking? I ask as I have never heard of it

A penny saved is a penny earned. That guy paid 0 in sales tax on that vehicle.

I'm rocking dealer plates on my Porsche for now and if I register the car it will be with Alaskan plates. There are a couple cars in the family's secret garage with Alaskan plates

Seems like great logic until you realize there's a reason no one is willing to pay more than $5/share for it.

Playing stocks for long-term investing is just foolish.

Stocks are fun, you can lose a lot or gain a lot. Research, research, research, and then go with your gut. Simply the company behind the stock needs to make money.

Kicking myself in the ass for dumping TSCO (tractor supply company) a few years ago. I doubled my money and got out thinking it peaked. I was wrong it went from $20ish to now $80. My basis for selecting them? Unique niche they're in, trend of yuppies moving to the sticks, not too many stores like them, not a real farmers store but a hobby farmers store, they were building more and more stores and had bought one of there competitors, and then increasing profit margins, declining debt to equity, and improving return on equity.

I missed the Chipotle train (CMG chipotle Mexican grill). A couple years ago I thought wow this is a new up and coming place that's expanding and popular but then I saw how high the stock already was and said screw. Once again i should have went with my gut.

You don't have to gamble big money on stocks. Put $8000 of your $10,000 in something very low risk which is basically low return, then play stocks with the $2000, or maybe just $500. I'm still waiting on oil and gas, landholding companies to make profits, just taking forever like CHK(chesapeake)Some billionaire just bought a ton of their shares demanding change in the top executive management. I think he sees what I see. At least I hope. You can set up simple alerts to email you for stocks when it goes this high or this low. Set it and forget it. But ya you can loose your ass or get a bunch 1099's every year. Betting on DFS (discover card) to go way up currently. Cashed out on the V (visa) and made good money but yet again too soon. I have a habit of cashing out too quick but I like to play it safe when I know I made money and run with it. Like Sprint, I bought low, it's making money but when to sell is the question.

Edited by Gump

1) Give me your money.

2) ???

3) Profit.

I'd probably just add it to my already diversified mix of mutual funds/bonds. Reinvesting dividends, I've made around 15% over my initial cost basis since I started in 2009.

I don't do the fancy schmantsy shittygsxr investing. I'd have to be good enough to make it my fulltime job if I wanted to setup Alaskan trusts (DAPT) and buy covered calls and whatnot. That's a lot of effort for what could end up being a zero sum game if you're not diligent.

Stocks are fun... Research, research, research... go with your gut...

You don't have to gamble big money on stocks. Put $8000 of your $10,000 in something very low risk which is basically low return, then play stocks with the $2000, or maybe just $500.

The beginning just reaffirms why playing stocks will eventually cost you dearly. Most people trade based on emotion, the thrill, and go with their guts on things. Remember, every bit of "research" you see has already been seen by tens of thousands of PROFESSIONAL money managers who work full-time at this and risk analyzed from just about every angle by computers that make trades on a second-by-second basis. A quick Google search of how many mutual fund managers fail to beat market indexes pretty convincingly backs this thought up.

The end of your post isn't a bad idea. Set a fraction of total investments aside to pick with if you want. But ensure that you leave it at that so that if you lose all the money, you will not add more later.

Edited by smashweights

The beginning just reaffirms why playing stocks will eventually cost you dearly. Most people trade based on emotion, the thrill, and go with their guts on things. Remember, every bit of "research" you see has already been seen by tens of thousands of PROFESSIONAL money managers who work full-time at this and risk analyzed from just about every angle by computers that make trades on a second-by-second basis. A quick Google search of how many mutual fund managers fail to beat market indexes pretty convincingly backs this thought up.

Agree. The pros often fail and don't know anymore than anyone else.