Build thread. Crate to racebike in how many steps???

Moto-Brian

• 2 weeks later...

So, not much done in terms of the motor as of yet and waiting for a few neato things to finalize like rearsets, etc.

Here's some tastey tidbits. Titanium Billet type stuff.

Front axle nut:

Axlenut_zpse556e58b.jpg

Rotor Bolts:

RotorBolts_zpsf1db46fd.jpg

Caliper Bolts. Need to be drilled as of yet:

CaliperBolts_zpsebc81bac.jpg

Rear Axle nuts:

RearNuts_zpsdfa2205b.jpg

Getting a quick change rear carrier system for the Duc as well as some odds and ends of Titanium here and there like rear sprocket nuts, etc...

In reality, they will net about 7 plus lbs as Nate mentioned. The rear axle nuts alone are great weight savings. But, the idea in my case is to lose the difference from cast wheels to forged wheels. The rotor and carrier nuts/bolts help.

I can say I am not a typical bling guy, but one of my dealers does these and it is really cool. The rotor bolts are STOOOOPID light and are amazing vs the OEM ones. Again, the wheels and rotational mass reduction is what I am after.

Yes, not cheap, but worth the money when you break it down vs wheels... I am going to buy a spare set of wheels and can't afford the forged aluminum nor magnesium ones.

7 lbs equals about 1 HP. That's not much, but about 7 lbs off the wheels and areas that are rotational is something that is amazing and easier to feel than all over the bike. I won't have Ti fairing bolts, for example... I will do the carrier nuts, rear caliper bolts, etc. That will be it...

Guess I'm an average Joe wasting money...

I got a lightened rear brake rotor, is that like titanium nuts(bolts)? ;) Likey, now get us some more pics of the freaking bike put together. If you don't no homo time for you anytime soon. :(

Still waiting on some parts. Beautiful thing with newer release bikes - waiting on pieces, parts...

• 1 month later...

So.... Been a while. We had issues with Cometic head gaskets being made and some parts supply issues for the build that finally got here. It's been crazy actually and have missed a couple of shots at riding the bike had it been done.

BUT, no issue with my bad ass tech or anyone - just simply a parts deal for a bike that is fairly new and suppliers...

That being said, we got a few more steps completed. We are staring to reassemble the power plant!!!

Thus far, before the pics, we have gained the following:

-Ohlins front and rear. 30mm kit in the forks and a TTX race rear shock

-Termi exhaust finally arrived.

-Woodcraft rearsets and clip-ons along with the case cover.

-New race plastic, but it is ABS stuff which is high quality, but heavy and will be trading for something else in fiberglass.

-Carbon front fender.

We will be doing the Ducati Performance rearsets that are pure art, but they are not available as of yet and we went with Woodcraft to get them on.

So, the pics!

not much, but it is a start and will hopefully have more as we go.

A really cool tool holds the crank assembly, rods, pistons, etc all together for assembly.

Cranktool_zps9bf2ae3f.jpg

Then, placed into the case half. After this is done, there is a plastic based cone that allows the other case half to be placed on and slips right together. Pretty trick and quick to assemble precisely.

crankdroppedin_zps92b6ea7c.jpg

Bottom assembled!!

Boltedtogether_zpsd1c1b553.jpg

Will post as I get more pics. At least we are moving forward!!

In reality, they will net about 7 plus lbs as Nate mentioned. The rear axle nuts alone are great weight savings. But, the idea in my case is to lose the difference from cast wheels to forged wheels. The rotor and carrier nuts/bolts help.

I can say I am not a typical bling guy, but one of my dealers does these and it is really cool. The rotor bolts are STOOOOPID light and are amazing vs the OEM ones. Again, the wheels and rotational mass reduction is what I am after.

Yes, not cheap, but worth the money when you break it down vs wheels... I am going to buy a spare set of wheels and can't afford the forged aluminum nor magnesium ones.

7 lbs equals about 1 HP. That's not much, but about 7 lbs off the wheels and areas that are rotational is something that is amazing and easier to feel than all over the bike. I won't have Ti fairing bolts, for example... I will do the carrier nuts, rear caliper bolts, etc. That will be it...

Guess I'm an average Joe wasting money...

gonna be tough to save 7 lbs off of wheels with out changing them .

there are not enough peices that ti is going to do that for you.

on a roadrace bike the corolatoin of weight to horsepower does not seem to truly be the old 7lbs = 1hp formula

its more about quicker acceleration and shorter and less heat in braking situations

at least that has been my experience

FYI the least expensive and and biggest single weight saving measure is to replace your oem battery with a new lipo-lithium battery that on most sport bikes saves over 7 lbs and . on most sport bikes that weight is up high on the subframe , the change will help lower the center of gravity and help promote enhanced handling traits.

note that if you have a track or race bike with a

kit ecu and other after market electronics it is ness. to get a batt with 12 plus amps , the more the better to keep all electronics functioning under simultanious loads.

too many people focus on cranking amps and that is not the only factor to focus on.

on some bikes like many of the ducatis the battery placement is ofset on one side of the bike and it helps balance the bike rt to lft.

hellava lot cheaper than ti and it serves multi finctions.

about 70 % of the AMA paddock use a battery of this type.

at approx $ 150.00 there is not another single mod you can do to your bike that has as many positive net effects.

:hungry:

Livin, Brian knows a thing or two about racing/bikes and is probably one of the most knowledgeable persons on this board. I know your offering constructive help & advice....but he knows what he's are doing and getting into. Since we know him personally, we'll just let him reply.

Edited by SJC1000rr

:hungry:

Livin, Brian knows a thing or two about racing/bikes and is probably one of the most knowledgeable persons on this board. I know your offering constructive help & advice....but he knows what he's are doing and getting into. Since we know him personally, we'll just let him reply.

well i have a little bit of experience and knowledge , but seem to learn everyday.

lotsa lessons learned as i am going into my fourth year as a crew chief for a fairly successful ama team , we have been lucky enough to be a top ten finisher the past three years in a row.

this year will be another learning year as we have moved up a class.

glad to know you feel brian has all the answers .

bet he is still learning everyday.

my posts as it said was fyi not directed to brian in any way.