Build thread. Crate to racebike in how many steps???

Moto-Brian

dead sexy.

looking forward to the build.

aside from the discount/and you work for ducati

reasoning for going with the termi setup VS. say full Arrow System and retuning the ECU?

id probably go with the termi setup as well if i could get a decent discount on the parts, but not getting a discount, its cheaper for me (for my multistrada) to buy a full arrow and get a tuner (tune boy) and then have it dyno tuned. about $600+ cheaper

interested to also see how you like the 30mm kit in that thing. would love to hear a comparison vs. the stock ohlins on the S model.

oh, and wanna hook a brotha up on some Ducati parts =-)

The only other system available for the 1199 right now that is worth thinking about is the Akra. They unfortunately are $1k more and no up map.

The ECU at this stage is so new that they do not have any system available for it and it is something that is really just going to be a piggy back type deal when available. That means, no tuning of the traction control settings, etc. Which is fine, but we are looking into something better via Ducati Corse connections.

We are also looking at trying to get our hands on the R model system. At this stage, there isn't even a fische finder in the system for that bike and so, we cannot source the part code. Yet. The big difference however, is that the R has different rods which allows for a higher RPM. Once we evaluate the differences, we can asses whether the R exhaust makes sense or not. It has a longer head tube on it for higher RPM performance and a stronger mid-range. Once we get dyno time and tuning time on the ECU, we can figure things out. We will get the ECU unlocked and tune that to where we need it to be...

As for 30mm vs. stock, it will most likely be similar to that of when I ran the 30mm kit in the GSXR. I really liked the fact that I got more feedback. I also think with bigger pistons, I can run lower fork fluid height, etc and get more feel and have a better suited to my riding style front end.

I am sure it is like any other Ohlins equipped street bike in that it is cool to see that gold set of forks, but at the end of the day, valving and setup for street is much different than track. Even the guys with 1198 Rs were going different cartridge kits for the same reasons...

I understand your reasoning for choosing Ducati. I wasn't questioning that. I guess my main question would be in response to you not choosing the "S" model. I mean' date=' it's marketed as a performance machine. Ducati is a performance marque. Electronically adjustable Ohlins are supposed to be the cats' pajamas, or at least it's marketed in such a fashion that we're led to believe it.

I was just wondering why the "best new thing" in performance suspension isn't desirable on a race track. Isn't that the reason it's called "performance"? I believe you that you'd rather have manual hardware, but doesn't that bring negative attention to the idea that Ducati's idea of a "performance upgrade" is somewhat of a non-desirable attribute with racers?

..since I forgot to mention it in my first post.. nice bike, nice thread, you suck. :p[/quote']

No, great points. Here is where I also fell into my thinking. I didn't want ABS. ABS is yet to be something we racers have accepted with open arms yet. Call us bull headed. Who knows... But, the S model will not be available this year in a non-ABS version. I weighed the suspension ideas and yes, the TTX rear is an absolutely fabulous shock. It is in fact the TTX race version and we could simply swap out electronic for manual for about $100. That's a no brainer.

Why swap? Simply put, the electronic doesn't detract whatsoever from anything in terms of performance. Ease of use and the exactness by which you can adjust the shock is key. In all truth, I weighed out the fact that I might be doing a JRI shock on the rear and I also looked at the fact that in a crash, my fear was ripping all that stuff off. I think dollar signs when I think crash and manual would lessen that idea.

But, the big reason was the price difference. You get to a point where you can say "Well, it is only $6k more for the S model". Ok... Then, you get the S model and go "Well, it is only $6k more for the R model". The thing is, that I am on a budget and I am buying this bike. Discount or not, it isn't like buying an ex-team bike that is already setup and ready to go.

I weighed the fact that I needed a spare set of wheels. Do I get an S model with forged wheels and buy a set of standard wheels for as cheap as I can find or buy a standard and buy something like OZ wheels? Then, the difference in the rear shock is only $100, but I have to buy 30mm cartridges no matter what for the front. Or at least some sort of cartridges like the GP Suspension stuff for example.

So, the differences are wheels, suspension and cost. Sure, LED lights - don't give a shit. Yes, you get the fairing flares - doesn't make a difference when you're buying race plastics anyways. Those are details and $6k difference is what I weighed.

Now, if I were buying as a street bike or price wasn't an issue, I'd buy the R straight off. I'd probably still change the electro stuff just because I would be worried in a crash. Plus, the 30mm cartridge kits are not compatible as they need different caps. Not yet... You see that Ohlins just unveiled the race TTX electronic rear shock for the ZX10. These 1199 shocks are honestly the future and it is really cool that Ducati is leading the way to what we will have as a standard someday.

The suspension is amazing on the S and R models. For sure. But, budget minded racers look at $6k difference easily wheels and suspension and then goes towards my exhaust which is up there. All these add up to just under $6k actually. With the S, I save on the rear, but need to add the 30mm kit, standard wheels and exhaust. That puts me still at about a $3500 hole... $3500 at that point isn't a difference as the motor are the same, chassis, and suspension. Everything ends up being the same with exception to the fancy fork tubes...

• Upvote 1

Well, the difference at retail is $10k... Even a guy like me looks at it as $30k starting point with the parts added on top. The R has a slick set of rods and a higher RPM and a full "Pro" system, but in the end, I do not think it is a huge enough difference to warrant $10k plus. I can buy a lot of speed parts for $10k...

with all due respect, Mr. I Represent Ducati, you're doin' it wrong, to wit:

"Well, the R model is the most awesomest bike evar, the differences are worth waaay more than we're charging. I would have been on one like stink on sh*t, but we're selling them so fast that we can barely keep up..."

very nice bike, you done well.

can't wait for h-d Brian's epic 'ultra glide build thread' a year from now... ;)

with all due respect, Mr. I Represent Ducati, you're doin' it wrong, to wit:

"Well, the R model is the most awesomest bike evar, the differences are worth waaay more than we're charging. I would have been on one like stink on sh*t, but we're selling them so fast that we can barely keep up..."

very nice bike, you done well.

can't wait for h-d Brian's epic 'ultra glide build thread' a year from now... ;)

Nah, that isn't me. If it is shit, I tell ya. The R is badass and will be contested by two guys in my region so, it will be cool to see. Loads of neato things that really make it shine, but to many, they won't see it. 4 position swingarm pivot, different full system, engine upgrades, etc.

HD? Not likely. I was at KTM for almost 3 years. Time flies... But, I plan on being with these guys a long time. The initial reaction to being on board was WAY more positive than at the other place. Almost within the same week, I was asking if I made the right move. Here? It was awesome and has been really positive. Plus, the bikes are bad ass!!!:D

I am curious as to how you react after riding it, especially in comparison to the KTM track bike. We all know that Stoner and Rossi couldn't ride the damn thing. I remain optimistic but I don't hold out much hope for the WSBK boys on this thing either.

Amazing shot of the bike with it's dress off.

This is going to be fun.

I am curious as to how you react after riding it, especially in comparison to the KTM track bike. We all know that Stoner and Rossi couldn't ride the damn thing. I remain optimistic but I don't hold out much hope for the WSBK boys on this thing either.

Amazing shot of the bike with it's dress off.

This is going to be fun.

It was 2nd and 5th in the superstock wsbk championship.

Edit* had to add the all important T lol

Edited by 4DAIVI PAI2K5

I was 2nd and 5th in the superstock wsbk championship.

Thanks for that wake up. I don't follow the other race classes that much and I don't know why I didn't think to check and see if the bike was running there. I guess the decision to keep it out of WSBK until 2013 was applied to all classes.

Good to see it ran strong with the BMW and Kawis.