Build thread. Crate to racebike in how many steps???

Moto-Brian

So, Santa came early... He dropped off a certain red toy that is going to be transformed into a racebike. I haven't done this in several years and was getting used to either buying high level racebikes and setting up to my style and preferences or was REALLY spoiled with the KTM in that it came race ready and just had to slap tires on the beast and a few items that I wanted to suit my needs...

So, it has been since about 2003 that I have done a crate to racebike so...

First of all, she needs uncrated. When the bike was ready and out of the crate, she looks like this:

1199Dec3.jpg

The bike is the new Ducati 1199 Panigale. This is the "standard" non-ABS model. Idea here is that I didn't want the electronic stuff and weighed in the fact that the suspension was only different outside the forged vs the cast wheels this one has vs. the 1199 S.

So, the Standard doesn't have forged wheels, comes with Marzocchi GAS CHARGED forks up front in BEEFY 57 mm fork tubes. These are about 5 mm larger diameter than the S model that has Ohlins street and track forks.

The Standard also has a Sachs rear shock vs. the TTX Ohlins shock on the S model...

The issue I was faced with was run the S model and get the cool gold forks and TTX rear and get the electronic adjusters replaced with manual versions. Also, the TTX rear is the race TTX and is good to go with some spring changes and possibly internal valving to accommodate racing. But, the fork internals even though Ohlins are just street valving and not up to spec of what I need to race. So, I would still have to get the 30mm kit...

So, price weighed in as the motors are all the same with exception to the R model which is just too far out of reach in terms of cost.

So, we will do an Ohlins TTX rear and 30mm cartridge kit and test with the Gas Charged stuff to see where it stands. The wheels are obviously cast vs the forged, but I need another set of wheels anyways so, will look at the OZ wheels for race...

Here she is staring at the camera asking to be stripped of her clothing...

1199Dec2.jpg

I will update as we do things to it.

The short list is:

-Termi full system and up map

-GPS race plugin

-Woodcraft rearsets

-Woodcraft clip-ons

-Sharskin or Ducat DP race plastics

-Ohlins TTX

-Ohlins 30mm Cartridge Kit

There will be more along the way. We will try working the stock ECU and possibly trying to get my hands on a few Corse parts and spec thingies...

I'm guessing they're paying him more than $18k a year, and he is discouraged from racing anything that's not red.

But yeah, you could go buy a set up GSXR 1000 (and a "B" bike) for less...

I don't think that's entirely the point. Those of us who have to worry about how much the bike costs are hardly in ducati's target market.

<<So, price weighed in as the motors are all the same with exception to the R model which is just too far out of reach in terms of cost>>

I just blew beer out of my nose. I never thought I'd hear/ see those words from you, Mr. Jackupachurchvan.

$18k and it isn't ready to race out of the crate? I mean' date=' no offense, but this ain't MotoGP we're talkin' here, right?[/quote']

Actually, $18k retail isn't a big deal in terms of racing... The KTM RC8R RS I raced was a $20k bike. The GSXR I raced was a $12k bike at retail...

Current bikes like the Kawasaki ZX10 is about $14500k at retail...

Shit ain't cheap!!

And to the other guys, yes... I do get a discount no different than someone that works at a dealership for example buying parts at 10% over. In fact, I only get about 5% less than a Ducati dealer employee gets...

But, every bit helps. I sold the Zook for $12k so, I didn't have much into it... That is before the parts are needed...:eek:

<<So, price weighed in as the motors are all the same with exception to the R model which is just too far out of reach in terms of cost>>

I just blew beer out of my nose. I never thought I'd hear/ see those words from you, Mr. Jackupachurchvan.

Well, the difference at retail is $10k... Even a guy like me looks at it as $30k starting point with the parts added on top. The R has a slick set of rods and a higher RPM and a full "Pro" system, but in the end, I do not think it is a huge enough difference to warrant $10k plus. I can buy a lot of speed parts for $10k...

Well, just for being a dick doing some ,"na-na, na, na-na" look what I have and you don't thread - may you get smoked by every stock 1000rr!!!!!!!!

Damn, nice ride. Enjoy

I'm not like that, man. I don't do these threads to show off. I am working hard, traveling a ton and trying to make a living and really, just have a cool perk to get a good discount on a motorcycle. Nothing special. But, instead of posting YouTube videos of myself or telling everyone I am a fancy, smancy racer guy, I like posting build threads. I personally like them as the transformation from stock to race is kinda cool.

We will have some juicy bits along the way also. It ain't gonna be all bolt on stuff... It's like watching Fast N' Loud. I just like watching the process and figured I would share.

I hope everyone knows I do not mean to brag. Trust me, I can barely afford this shit. I just started along the way and got some support and get help from folks. Have a killer tuner and a few friends in the biz and everyone is what makes the wheels go round. I just get to look good doing it and unfortunately, they usually don't ever get enough praise or credit. Without them, I would be riding a dirt bike in a corn field and that's about it...

dead sexy.

looking forward to the build.

aside from the discount/and you work for ducati

reasoning for going with the termi setup VS. say full Arrow System and retuning the ECU?

id probably go with the termi setup as well if i could get a decent discount on the parts, but not getting a discount, its cheaper for me (for my multistrada) to buy a full arrow and get a tuner (tune boy) and then have it dyno tuned. about $600+ cheaper

interested to also see how you like the 30mm kit in that thing. would love to hear a comparison vs. the stock ohlins on the S model.

oh, and wanna hook a brotha up on some Ducati parts =-)