WTB: 2pc Leather Suit / Boots / Gloves

Disclaimer

I know the err of my ways and would like to start buying the proper safety gear to go riding - and do some trackdays. Currently I'm only looking at 2pc racing suits that will pull street duty, drag race duty, and trackday duty.

Even though you can't put a price on safety, I'm looking to get the best bang for my buck. I've looked at Teknic Chicane suits, M2R suits, and AGV Sport suits in the $300-500 range. And would like to get suggestions from trackday riders and street riders here with regards to the comfort, quality, and safety of some of these suits (e.g. - do you have any 'crash experience' using these products?).

Any suggestions or "rules of thumb" regarding the best leather thickness, whether to get a suit with all the armor and pucks or buy all that stuff separately after buying the suit, etc. would be appreciated.

Finally, I'd like to solicit suggestions on gloves and boots for the same purposes. My work boots are pretty well constructed, so I'm not so much concerned about my foot protection as I am getting some gloves that'll take a low-side slide at 90mph during my first trackday experience. :)

Like I said, all advice and suggestions welcome, but it would be nice to know how long you've used the gear and your experience level with the stuff. Thanks!!!:cheers:

DONT buy cheap gloves... When you think about it, whats one of the first things to hit the ground? Out of natural reaction, you will put your hand out. I have held phantom gloves that held up to a crash nicely. You dont have to spend that much, but dont go cheap on gloves.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Teknic Chicane or the FieldSheer Revo2. They both go for right around $400 and include everything but knee pucks.

Anyone want to talk me out of the Teknic or Fieldsheer?

The next question will be sizing. I'm 6' and 195lbs - athletic build, size 34-36 pants. What do I need to know? Better off snug, or better off a little loose?

you deff will need to buy good gloves! Boots are not just for your foot they are for your ankle too! As for sizing a leather suit you really need to try some on b4 you buy if at all possible. Make sure you get leathers with built in protectors and buy a good back protector for under the leather(should be considerd when sizing the suit as well). if you buy leathers you want to only do it once if possible so make sure they are at least double stitched and have multiple layers of leather in the impact areas.

For fitment call the company. They post their sizes, but fitment is different. I called JR before I bought mine and told them my jean size/belly size and what size that will relate to in the leathers from those there that have tried them all on. Very helpful.

as what experts advised me, "you get what you pay for. the more you spend, the less pain that you will suffer after the crash. you'll never know how you crash or how others crash on you".

For me, after extensive research on reviews and personal experience of other riders throughout different forums, closeout items are definitely my first choice to avoid defective riding gears and for the price.

The funny thing I remember what my old man said, "there's a thin line between stupid and crazy so, either you fail to prepare or prepare to fail".

+1 on the "Get what you pay for" - I agree, but I'm only looking for some "Economical" leathers that will take one or two slides before I have to buy I new set. If I push so hard that falling off the bike become habitual for me on trackdays then I'll need to stick to drag racing only.

Bottom line, is 1.2-1.6mm leather is leather. It'll take a slide (and I'm really good at rolling :D), I'm more concerned about my natural reaction to stick my hands out so I need a set of gloves that'll take a slide -- unless you racers have trained that reaction out of your heads.

AStar and Tecknic are the best low end suit makers. AStar makes high end stuff, as well, but they have entry level suits, too.

Watch Rocket stuff. It sucks. I've crashed in JR suits before and they never once held up. They always came apart at critical seams and even had an issue where I fractured my elboq due to the suit not doing the job.

FS used to be decent. I worked with their R&D department back in 2000 or so. They used to tape their seams and do a little extra you couldn't find in other suits. However, they are now back to crappy built suits. No tape, no removable liners, etc. The suit Pegram wears isn't the same...

I'd look at used good suits. Stuff like Vanson, Syed, AStar, etc. If you do AGV, only look at their Italian line. The rest is junk and not worth the cash. I think that's about it on suits. PM me with questions. I sorta know that industry pretty well...