Potentially Moving to SC. Thoughts?

RSparky

So, it's been a long time coming. I'm getting married in May, and we want to honeymoon to our potential living destination.

We both want to live somewhere warm. I want good roads, she wants eastern to be close to home. She is averse to the southern coast because of hurricanes.

There is a pretty good grad school for her in Columbia, SC. She is potentially deciding whether she wants to wait a year to get residency, and get a job with her B.S., then apply for the grad school.

And, I haven't done much research, but it seems like the economy is good for engineering jobs. SCANA looks cool.

Very stoked about the lowest average of 33 degrees. Highest average in the 90's is cool. I'll get vented pants, and have had a couple seat modification ideas.

So... Anybody lived there before? Any laws I need to know of? I don't carry, but want to eventually. E check laws, license renewal, sound ordinances, etc.

Besides that, I'm concerned about jobs mainly. A quick search turned up a bunch of engineering openings. Her degree is in biology, and she is interested in anatomy, or micro, both of which generally require higher education, so that's a concern for that first year.

/rant

Marry Christmas!

Charleston is definitely the hot spot of SC but from a motorcyclists pointif view Columbia is closer to the good roads

My family has a place down in the suburbs of Charleston and I've been going there at least 1 or 2x a year for the last 5 so know plenty about it

Charleston is the hot spot for SC, not Columbia. And trust me, Hurricanes aren't that a big of a deal as long as you're not living right on the ocean front. They give plenty of warning so that you can prepare and leave the area, if necessary.

I also know that for licensing, you simply go to the DMV and trade your OH DL (good for 90 days as a new resident) for a SC DL after passing the eye exam - no testing required.

Good luck in your decision making and eventual relocation plans.

In SC right now :)

Judging by the map, Greenville is about a half hour from some awesome roads. Hoping to move down here next year.

I have a friend from the service (we went through the SFQC together as 18E's) and family in that area.

Nice roads, nice weather, nice lakes....what's not to like about that area?

Have a good friend that has a house in Columbia. It is a pretty awesome town. Lake Murray is a big bonus. Tugged my boat down last summer for a week on the lake. Always had fun there. Rode the bike down multiple times. The Dragon is 4 hrs away by highway, but there are awesome roads around the area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I grew up in TN/NC and generally speaking people like living in SC.

Especially the Spartanburg area (BMW area) and lots of jobs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spartanburg,_South_Carolina

A lot more southern culture than here in OH, maybe good, maybe bad.

Hurricanes are a non issue.

Biggie

I say go where you both are going to be happy. Wouldnt be a bad idea to take a little vaca down there first and do some traveling around the areas and make sure you like it. I've heard a lot of good things about SC. I've never personally spent time down there but for the people I know who have been down there really love it.