Gun Free Zone = Soft Target - They will never learn

Scruit

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/01/02/columbus-church-service-threatened-with-knife.html

A man walked into the Total Life Ministries on East 5th Avenue early New Year's Day and threatened the congregation with a knife.

This could have ended much differently. Had just one person there been the good guy with the gun they could have stopped him in his tracks.

By default it is a state mandated CPZ, unless you have permission.

Not true unless this changed,?. I carry, I know others do, we don't ask permission. When I took my class they specifically said churches were targets and it was a reason to exercise CCW.

Not true unless this changed,?. I carry, I know others do, we don't ask permission. When I took my class they specifically said churches were targets and it was a reason to exercise CCW.

ORC 2923.126 (B)(6):

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126

(B) ... A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:

(6) Any church, synagogue, mosque, or other place of worship, unless the church, synagogue, mosque, or other place of worship posts or permits otherwise;

You need to ask permission. It is a felony otherwise.

ORC 2923.126 (B)(6):

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126

You need to ask permission. It is a felony otherwise.

Must've changed since I took class, oh well, I'm carrying, and won't be asking, he's ex Army, son's ex Marine, and we have a bunch of other guys from the Military so I'm not overly concerned about what they'll think. Plus it's concealed. ANd yes, I am fully aware I just admitted I will be performing a felony every Sunday, I am fine with that.

Since when is it a felony?

A church is considered to be the same as a school or courthouse. Carrying in a state CPZ is treated as carrying without a license. Carring a loaded gun without a license is a felony 3 under Ohio Revised Code s. 2923.12(G)(1)

Whoever violates this section is guilty of carrying concealed weapons. Except as otherwise provided in this division or division (G)(2) of this section, carrying concealed weapons in violation of division (A) of this section is a misdemeanor of the first degree. Except as otherwise provided in this division or division (G)(2) of this section, if the offender previously has been convicted of a violation of this section or of any offense of violence, if the weapon involved is a firearm that is either loaded or for which the offender has ammunition ready at hand, or if the weapon involved is dangerous ordnance, carrying concealed weapons in violation of division (A) of this section is a felony of the fourth degree. Except as otherwise provided in division (G)(2) of this section, if the weapon involved is a firearm and the violation of this section is committed at premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or if the offense is committed aboard an aircraft, or with purpose to carry a concealed weapon aboard an aircraft, regardless of the weapon involved, carrying concealed weapons in violation of division (A) of this section is a felony of the third degree.

If you read the law differently than me then I'm open to discussion.

Makes no sense that carrying in church is legal "as long" as they give you permission, sure isnt the same in a school huh. :rolleyes: Just another stupid ass law that really wasn't thought out, and rarely is enforced concerning places of worship. But once again the argument of......that is why it is called conceal carry, out of sight and out of mind.

Makes no sense that carrying in church is legal "as long" as they give you permission, sure isnt the same in a school huh. :rolleyes: Just another stupid ass law that really wasn't thought out, and rarely is enforced concerning places of worship. But once again the argument of......that is why it is called conceal carry, out of sight and out of mind.

It's stupid, yes. State mandated CPZ are a stupid concept from the beginning.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/01/02/columbus-church-service-threatened-with-knife.html

A man walked into the Total Life Ministries on East 5th Avenue early New Year's Day and threatened the congregation with a knife.

This could have ended much differently. Had just one person there been the good guy with the gun they could have stopped him in his tracks.

Let me get this straight, dude went into a church and "abducted" everybody. I can see that. I have one question though. Why isn't this labeled a hate crime? He singled out christians in a church....

Let me get this straight, dude went into a church and "abducted" everybody. I can see that. I have one question though. Why isn't this labeled a hate crime? He singled out christians in a church....

Then almost every crime would be labeled as a hate crime... he singled out patrons of xyz bank, he singled out bus riders, he singled out moviegoers...

So it could have been a hate crime if he hated christians... and that was his reason for 'abducting" them.

Then almost every crime would be labeled as a hate crime... he singled out patrons of xyz bank, he singled out bus riders, he singled out moviegoers...

So it could have been a hate crime if he hated christians... and that was his reason for 'abducting" them.

Bank customers are not an enumerated class in the the hate crime laws.

I disagree that just because he went into a church that it was automatically a hate crime. You'd have to prove that the curch/christianity is the reason he chose those victims.

2927.12 Ethnic intimidation.

(A) No person shall violate section 2903.21, 2903.22, 2909.06, or 2909.07, or division (A)(3), (4), or (5) of section 2917.21 of the Revised Code by reason of the race, color, religion, or national origin of another person or group of persons.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of ethnic intimidation. Ethnic intimidation is an offense of the next higher degree than the offense the commission of which is a necessary element of ethnic intimidation.

Effective Date: 03-19-1987

Im just curious, do you sit and just read the laws, ordinance, etc. all day or are you like a lawyer or something? I mean I have a ton of free time at my job, but not enough to look up all this stuff all the time.

Just kind of wondering what is the driving force to be so interested in researching them.

Bank customers are not an enumerated class in the the hate crime laws.

enum HateCrimeTypes

{

COLOR_BLACK = 0,

COLOR_WHITE,

COLOR_RED,

COLOR_YELLOW,

COLOR_BROWN,

CREED_GENTILE = 16,

CREED_JEW,

CREED_ISLAM,

CREED_ATHEIST,

SEX_MALE = 32,

SEX_FEMALE,

SEX_CONFUSED

};

Color Discriminate = COLOR_YELLOW & SEX_FEMALE;

cout << Discriminate; // print hate for Asian women

He's right, I looked up the source code for the law....

I personally think hate crimes are stupid. someone getting more or less punishment for the same crime do to the other persons/party religion, sexual orientation or whatever is dumb. I don't care if i was assaulted by a black person or white, homosexual, kkk member i would want them to be held to the same standard.