Not helping the gun cause here...

bandit12

Not by much, the closing slide on one side (which is only as firm as the recoil spring) the face of the chamber on the other. Far cry from an enclosed chamber that it can expand evenly as the powder burns. The forward momentum of a bullet is provided (momentarily) by being secured into the chamber by the bolt face as the primer detonates. Once the brass expands and seals the powder burn completes it. This is all out of whack in the above scenario - there's nothing behind the rim to "start" the bullet so the complete energy of the detonation happens to the powder, and that tends to expand (bell) the front of the case first when there's partial hold on the bullet itself (both sides in this case)....and the bullet usually limps out rather than shoots out forcefully.

You can try this (if you're brave) by holding a .22 in a pair of pliers and whacking the primed end. It'll detonate, it'll be loud and the bullet will fly out - but not with much momentum. Bench vice might be a better idea.

I'd be really interested to see the fired case, cause I can see a rimfire detonating this way for sure but not retaining a lot of energy for propulsion...not enough for two wounds.

You could stick the .22 round in a straw tape it and throw it in the air over pavement to get a similar affect.the straw is there to make sure it lands rim first.

The guy I talked to from the class said that the Ruger MKll misfired, the shooter waited, then pulled the bolt open to eject the shell and it didn't completely eject.

It was hanging out of the gun like a stovepipe and the guy let go of the bolt while trying to shake the round out onto the ground. When he let go of the bolt and it slamed shut on the rim that is when the round went off and hit the two people beside him.

I agree with swingset in that not enough energy to penetrate two people when not in a gun's chamber and building pressure in the barrel and I called BS to my friend and he said thats the story they're sticking to, lol.

Although stranger things have happened I'm just glad that nobody was seriously injured or killed.

That's the story to share a lifetime since it only ended in a couple minor flesh wounds.

"Yeah, I've got my CCW license.....I got shot while taking the course, but overall I'm glad I went" :rolleyes:

Guess it was inevitable that something like this would happen with all the classes being attended now days, but damn......it's just funny to hear it happened within a "controlled" environment in the midst of gun safety lessons! Sometimes irony has little boundaries :D

• Upvote 1

I don't see why the two that got shot wouldn't pass? Not knowing what the shooter did or didn't do is up in the air. The 2 shot were probably out of harms way by most standards. This seems like freak accident.