Not helping the gun cause here...

bandit12

I just got a text from a friend, there is a CCW class in Coshocton right now and some guy shot two people in qualifing. The guy put a 22 round thru one person and into another, they're on break while the deputy sorts it out, UGH.

Luckily no deaths.

This brings up something I have been tossing around in my head for a little: even if a working gun control law is enacted, is obama doing more harm than good? The extreme amount of guns and accessories that are under suspicion of being banned are saturating the civilian market. If these things are evil, and ccw's cause wild west standoffs, isn't that the logical conclusion regardless of the future laws for a short time at least?

The guy that text me said he had already shot and was watching the others take their turn and he thinks that the shooter pulled the trigger as he unholstered for a draw and shoot exercise and thats when the others got hit.

Lack of paying attention to what he was doing.

I just got a text from a friend, there is a CCW class in Coshocton right now and some guy shot two people in qualifing. The guy put a 22 round thru one person and into another, they're on break while the deputy sorts it out, UGH.

Luckily no deaths.

What part of the person did it go through?

Well how is this for crazy...

They were on the line doing drills and the .22 pistol had a stove pipe that faced to the right . Slide came forward from the previous shot and struck the primer firing the round. Went through the next person thigh and then though the 2nd persons calf.

I take back my 4 rules comment.

Well how is this for crazy...

They were on the line doing drills and the .22 pistol had a stove pipe that faced to the right . Slide came forward from the previous shot and struck the primer firing the round. Went through the next person thigh and then though the 2nd persons calf.

I take back my 4 rules comment.

Seems odd that a somewhat unsupported case fired hard enough to go through 2 people.

The shell would have been supported.

Not by much, the closing slide on one side (which is only as firm as the recoil spring) the face of the chamber on the other. Far cry from an enclosed chamber that it can expand evenly as the powder burns. The forward momentum of a bullet is provided (momentarily) by being secured into the chamber by the bolt face as the primer detonates. Once the brass expands and seals the powder burn completes it. This is all out of whack in the above scenario - there's nothing behind the rim to "start" the bullet so the complete energy of the detonation happens to the powder, and that tends to expand (bell) the front of the case first when there's partial hold on the bullet itself (both sides in this case)....and the bullet usually limps out rather than shoots out forcefully.

You can try this (if you're brave) by holding a .22 in a pair of pliers and whacking the primed end. It'll detonate, it'll be loud and the bullet will fly out - but not with much momentum. Bench vice might be a better idea.

I'd be really interested to see the fired case, cause I can see a rimfire detonating this way for sure but not retaining a lot of energy for propulsion...not enough for two wounds.

Edited by swingset