Tax Audit from the City of Columbus, yet I have neither worked in or lived in Cbus

accel_is_my_drug

I just received in the mail, an Audit from the City of Columbus.

I have never worked in or lived in Columbus or one of the cities listed in on the columbus tax website.

They are asking for returns back to 2006. Copies of W2s, and all the addresses I have lived in. I didn't even move to Ohio until 2007. I have no idea where 2006 returns from Montana would be..

Can I handle this on my own, or do I need to lawyer up?

yeah, don't toss it in the trash...

Columbus Income Tax Division

The Columbus Income Tax Division administers the income taxes for:

• Brice
  • Canal Winchester
  • Columbus
  • Groveport
  • Harrisburg

• Marble Cliff
  • North Pickaway County JEDD

• Obetz

• Prairie-Obetz JEDZ

• Prairie Township JEDD

source (click) not much there, but might help.

I doubt they can audit something that isn't theirs. If it's not on the list of jurisdictions, then they made a mistake. That doesn't mean they can't screw things up further, making life miserable. Try to straighten it out with a phone call.

The somewhat logical guess, is that they DO have a tax return for you, and it's a fake filed by a thief. Worth checking out.

they screwed me.. audited back in 2008. Sent in everything they requested.. didnt hear from them thought everything was taken care of, then in 2010 i get a letter saying I am being sued by city of columbus for failing to pay city tax for 4 yrs from 2003 to 2007. I didnt work in city but lived there for part of 2 yrs but had same job. no idea how they came about that since i worked for the state at the time. Had attorney friend look at it, send in letter etc and never heard back until last yr and they wanted to garnish my wages for back taxes. They say with late fees etc i owe around $5000 but they cant show me how they came up with that figure....

That is literally the worst advice you could have possibly given.

Why the hell should he have to prove he didn't live or work in the city? Let them prove he did.

I swear some of these audits are just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

Why the hell should he have to prove he didn't live or work in the city? Let them prove he did.

I swear some of these audits are just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

Because they, as the government, have the authority to do plenty of bad things to you, from garnishing your wages to throwing you in a hole somewhere. In order to ensure those things don't happen to you, you have to at least respond to their claims. It could be in error, sure. If that's the case, then they can prove that upon challenge from you, but that still involves you answering the fucking letter.

This isn't a case of "if you 'know' you didn't do it and ignore it, it'll go away". Default judgements are a motherfucker, and are impossible to remove once you have one, and by that point you have lost all semblance of control over the situation, whether they fucked up or not.

another one of those instances where you ask a tax professional, not some ra-tards like us on a bike forum. i'm sure someone you know, knows someone who is a CPA or works in a office with a CPA. they can tell you or they can ask on your behalf. i would ask my cpa for you, but she has been tracking even basic email responses lately, so noooooooooooooooope.