Gotta get this checked off my bucket list...

pista

Well I turned 50 last month so I'm already off to a late start, but I really would like to at least try a track day.

2 years ago and 30 years since I sold my last bike, I picked up an SV1000S. That is what I would be using.

So I don't have a ton of experience and have never been on a track, but would love to try a few novice classes with someone giving me pointers. I'm not really looking at burning up the track just some critique to help me be a smoother and safer rider.

I live near Cleveland and don't have a trailer so Nelson Ledges would probably work best.

How do I sign up? Thanks, Steve

Well, they are really called "crack"days as they are quite addictive. So, go ahead and buy some gear as your going to be back.

Sportbiketracktime has a really good Novice program that I enjoyed. If you can get in, the have a RIDE RIGHT program to help indiviuals that have never been on a track ease into the sport. http://www.sttforum.com/showthread.php?t=7034

Mid-Ohio has a good Novice program as well and I would recommend you go with either of these orgs.

If it's just a bucket list thing and you only plan to do one, treat yourself to Midohio. If you plan to more than one, go to Nelson first and you'll better appreciate both.

Midohio, STT, and Motoseries all have good novice programs

P.S. Of course if it rains at Midohio, you're phucked.

Edited by brn6604
P.S.

Plus if you run with us MS guys, you get lots of free butt secks. I won't even call it surprise butt secks because, well you know what you're getting when you sign up.

But for real, I started with Mid Ohio when it was STT, I've road with them since it changed hands, and have run with MotoSeries since. All of the above have great novice programs. Just don't go to Mid O if it's raining or your shiney new bike is probably toast.

Yeah some 70+ year old guy was riding Mid O the first day I ever did a track day. He had RODE from Cali to OH because he wanted to hit as many tracks as he could doing track days. He was on a GSXR, FACT, with luggage. Showed up in leathers, and was railing it in Int.

50 ain't got nothing on that dude, you'll love it.

We can do three bikes in my trailer, no problem. Keep in touch when the season gets ready to start and find out what days you're thinking of doing.

R1, thank you for the offer. I definitely will take you up on that.

Right now I'm leaning towards MotoSeries at Nelson on a Sat. or Mon. in June.

Yeah some 70+ year old guy was riding Mid O the first day I ever did a track day. He had RODE from Cali to OH because he wanted to hit as many tracks as he could doing track days. He was on a GSXR, FACT, with luggage. Showed up in leathers, and was railing it in Int.

50 ain't got nothing on that dude, you'll love it.

Lol, yes I'm looking forward to some spirited riding. However I can pretty much guarantee it won't be anywhere near the velocities that guy on the gixxer was capable of. Much respect.

Well to be honest it's not so much the age thing. My concern was being away from riding for so long. That and I know I'm not a good rider which is why I'd like to learn in a controlled environment.

If you go visit motoseries Todd at the bike show, maybe you can score some prepay discounts!

Tell him his favorite Asian pal sent you. Lets see what he does. Letssssss. Seeeeeeeee.

If you go visit motoseries Todd at the bike show, maybe you can score some prepay discounts!

Tell him his favorite Asian pal sent you. Lets see what he does. Letssssss. Seeeeeeeee.

I think on the MS forum Todd said he isn't doing the show this year. I think maybe someone should invite him to the gay party at your house next weekend though.

From homepage'

Annual Motorcycle Show

We will NOT be displaying a booth this year at the Cleveland

International Motorcycle Show.

However we do plan to have several member meet ups at different

times for each of the days, please post on our Forum if you have

planned times and with whom you will be attending with.

Posted before I read Craigs reply, sorry.

I think on the MS forum Todd said he isn't doing the show this year. I think maybe someone should invite him to the gay party at your house next weekend though.

From homepage'

Annual Motorcycle Show

We will NOT be displaying a booth this year at the Cleveland

International Motorcycle Show.

However we do plan to have several member meet ups at different

times for each of the days, please post on our Forum if you have

planned times and with whom you will be attending with.

Posted before I read Craigs reply, sorry.

I thought on FB Todd confirmed he was going to the homo showdown !

• 2 weeks later...
I wrote this article about a guy who did a track day for the first time when he was in his late 50s.

Now he's 74 and doing about 10 track days a year. :bow:

So be forewarned: It can be addictive.

Good read motociclista.

It's encouraging to hear stories like that where age isn't a limiting factor. In my case, I think I'm more concerned about my inexperience with riding in general and not so much that I'm older.

Looking forward to to seeing how addictive it can actually get for me! An "off" would kill the buzz for me fairly quick. So you'll see me well within my limits and trying to learn as I go.