Any pre 64 Winchester 1894 saddle ring experts on here?

Gump

Blue book says 24" or 26", made 1894-2006. S/N says 1919, except some earlier (1916) if polishing room SNAS.

NRA serial numbers (pdf)

edit: oops, you said saddle ring carbine...

20" round barrel only

btw... $450 (10%) to $2800 (95%)

Trapper's Carbine: 14", 15" & 16"

Edited by ReconRat

Thanks Recon! It has a 20" barrel. Unfortunatley the woods been refinished and it's missing the original saddle ring. Some stamp on the back of the stock. Not sure if that's good or not. I didn't have the gun when I first posted, I wanted to make sure it wasn't a frankenstein.

IMG_2998.JPG

IMG_2987-6bc322362494ec1299c7bc32ec87b204.JPG

Edited by Gump

Sweet gun, but that finish looks like hell in this pic. I'd see if you can restore the wood to original.

Edit: is that just a shit load of oil on the wood?

Shitty pic, I think I see what your seeing, it's the picture. I had wiped it down. I don't have the patience for wood.

I think linseed oil is correct. Gave them like a dull sheen.

I want to say FK is Fort Knox, but Fort Knox wasn't established till 1918.

Well, maybe so.

FK = Fort Knox

72 = garrison armory rifle #

really really wild guess

That would be interesting, the person said it was for frank knight, their great, great great, gpa. Who knows? Your guess actualły makes more sense. If the parts were being worked on to assemble the gun in 1916, but completion wasn't till 1919, it could be.

In the link you posted is a mention about 1894 spruce guns, (whatever that means)given to the army in this guns serial # range. I'm not sure if spruce just meant the stock was spruce. Page 34

Edited by Gump

History of "spruce guns"

Looks like this s/n is out side of that range.

If it is a military rifle, somewhere on the metal will be stamped "U.S." and an ordnance mark. Most likely on the receiver.

What I read is that almost all model 1894 in the military were used to guard Sitka Spruce trees in the Pacific North West. Because of the non military 30-30 cartridge.

Thanks, It's serial number is 838357. I posted it wrong. I didnt see any us stamps. Very interesting. I think some had gum stocks.

Damn, there's a 838537 and 838374 listed as a known spruce gun. So close.

Edited by Gump

ok, it is a spruce gun?

If it has these markings, it's a spruce gun: (or US of the spruce gun era)

win94sr001.jpg

one website says all marked "US"

another website says only about 2000 were marked "US"

confusing, since the federal purchase was for 1800

so I guess they were all marked "US"

The FK was typically the soldier's initials

from what it looks like

It could still be just a civilian that got one and decided to mark it the same way

Edited by ReconRat

There is no US marking. Just the winchester stamp. There is a number 4 by the trigger is all I remember. I'll ask the previous owner what wars his great great great GPA was in just for the heck of it.

He thinks WWI

Edited by Gump

Thanks, going to shoot it this weekend and see how it does. I was checking out http://www.turnbullmfg.com/ restoration. Wondering if I put $3800 into a full restore if I could get $6000 out of it. It seems, who does the restore is very important and then of course what gun it is. Not sure this would be a good one or not but searching for others there are some drastic price differences especially if Turnbull did it.