Anyone own a RD350/400 or R5?

redkow97

Been researching these a lot over the last few months, after I found an R5 for $600 on CL.

Curious to hear opinions from someone who actually rides one and lives with it routinely.

Also potentially curious about common problems, what parts are hard to find, and what to look for when shopping them (although that step is premature if the prevailing owner opinion is that they're a general PITA)

That's becoming a fairly rare and collectible bike these days because they were all ridden to death. those bikes were the pinnacle of the 2 stroke craze and were probably the most reliable 2 stroke street bike ever made from what I have read. Never had the chance to ride one, but would love to.

Had one for a couple of years back in the day.

picture.php?albumid=473&pictureid=4661&thumb=1

Common problems,

Points and plugs, always have spares with you. If I had one today I would switch out the points for an electronic unit. Same thing for the coils. Headlight is not so bright, a modern upgrade would be in order. I would also change out, move/replace those damn turn signals which catch on everything and snap like twigs. Pulling it out of the garage can cost you a turn signal.

When buying watch for bent shift forks from 1st to 2nd speed shifts. The model "B" had the front disc brake, nice.

Parts shouldn't be a problem lots of stuff around on fleabay.

It was a real blast to ride! :) Good on gas too!

Good luck!

My preferences are taking me in at least three VERY different directions when I start to consider my next street bike and/or project, and the RD series would have satisfied 2 of the 3, which was appealing...

I am trying to decide between (or balance):

- CHEAP

- FUN

- POWERFUL

I had seriously considered a first gen EX250 just to have something to buzz around on, but those are seriously lacking in style points... So I started looking into CB350's, and then RD350's. The RD's start getting away from the "cheap" end of that spectrum, but also up the performance potential considerably.

Then I was looking at more "fun," but still pretty cheap (but less cool) bikes. (first gen SV650n is a look I love, and obviously it will handle better than an EX250 or a CB350, with more power, and almost as much style.) For a tad more top-end power, I was also considering taking a crashed F3 or Katana 750 and throwing a circular headlight on it to copy the naked SV look (sort of...)

But Katana 750's are heavy (although bullet-proof). So then I figured, "may as well try to find a crashed TL or Super Hawk... Less style, but enough power to make up for it.

I'm such a woman when it comes to making decisions on motorcycles...

And then there's the fact that I wouldn't mind a project. the RD is easiest to work on, and the CB is probably a close second. decisions... I guess the only thing to do is save more and buy 2 or 3 bikes.

My preferences are taking me in at least three VERY different directions when I start to consider my next street bike and/or project, and the RD series would have satisfied 2 of the 3, which was appealing...

- CHEAP

- FUN

- POWERFUL

I had seriously considered a first gen EX250 just to have something to buzz around on, but those are seriously lacking in style points... So I started looking into CB350's, and then RD350's. The RD's start getting away from the "cheap" end of that spectrum, but also up the performance potential considerably.

Then I was looking at more "fun," but still pretty cheap (but less cool) bikes. (first gen SV650n is a look I love, and obviously it will handle better than an EX250 or a CB350, with more power, and almost as much style.) For a tad more top-end power, I was also considering taking a crashed F3 or Katana 750 and throwing a circular headlight on it to copy the naked SV look (sort of...)

But Katana 750's are heavy (although bullet-proof). So then I figured, "may as well try to find a crashed TL or Super Hawk... Less style, but enough power to make up for it.

And then there's the fact that I wouldn't mind a project. the RD is easiest to work on, and the CB is probably a close second. decisions... I guess the only thing to do is save more and buy 2 or 3 bikes.

Cant disagree with any of that, but the CHEAP, FUN, POWERFUL equation is like restaurants. FAST, CHEAP, GOOD. Choose 2.

- CHEAP

- FUN

- POWERFUL

Not gonna compete with the first gen sv for handling, but if your looking into cb350s I would also check out cb360t's or cb200's. by all means slower bikes but a different look. Fits the cheap/good selection.

My personal list

Cb160

Rd400

S90

I went through a similar dilemma. My thoughts were as follows when I purchased my CB:

I didn't need a speed machine as I still had the R6 in the garage. The CB's sole purpose was literally a beach cruiser. I would take it as often as I could to the beach or into town or to work. I wasn't looking to tear up the turns or break any records. Plus, a big bonus was that I could still wring its neck out and barely be above the law. If I wring the neck out of my R6 and get caught, it would almost certainly be jail time. I enjoyed pushing the limits of the CB while still being within the limits of the law (somewhat).

The CB is a timeless machine and I love the way they look especially when modded or cleaned up a bit. The CB also has a HUGE following which meant there was help in every corner of the internet as well as access to parts both used and aftermarket.

I preferred a twin over a four cylinder as I really desired that grunt and sound that a twin makes. It had enough power to still beat most cars off the line and up to 65. It wouldn't be a long distance highway machine, but could handle it if required.

A CB is a good value. There is a large market for cafe bikes. I purchased mine for $800 and sold it for a profit at $1200 having put nothing into it except fuel. If you did decide to part ways, you could most certainly make your money back or more.

I rode an RZ350 for a summer in high school and it was an extreme blast. I think the reason I sold the CB is that it wasn't the rush I got from the two smoke RZ.

Do you're saying I should have offered $500 for the non running, but complete, 1970 R5... :-/

That does sound a bit steep, non running. IDK Could be as simple as a set of points and plugs or as bad as a toasted motor.

I think I would pass on that one unless I had a garage, some tools and really wanted to take the time to do a restoration. Even so thats still a bit for a non-running almost RD wannabe. The R5 wasn't as fast as the RD series and didn't have goodies like disc drakes in the front. More importantly, it wasn't an RD. Not sure if it was a 5 speed or not. The RD was a 6 speed.

I've seen running 350's with the expansion chambers, spare motors and lots of extra parts and everything for under 2k. Some cheaper than that. You don't see them very often but they are still out there.

You asked if anybody had one in the past....